SYGMA Network Reviews

Updated October 3, 2014
Updated October 3, 2014
3.3

Alan W. Kelso

It is a challenging and great place to work. Very steady volume, great benefits and incentives. Warehouse has great shif

Current Employee - Warehouse
    Current Employee - Warehouse

I have been working at SYGMA Network full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and incentives. The management team is experienced and supportive! There are great incentive plans!

Cons

7 day operation - but great 4 day work week shifts in the warehouse - associates are supportive of one another

hold the associates accountable, continue to coach and train. Hire experienced applicants

Great place to work at

Former Employee - Transportation Analyst in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Transportation Analyst in Dublin, OH

I worked at SYGMA Network as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Organized and likes their employees

Cons

Normal office back biting gossip

Hire people based on their skill sets, not from manager friends

must be in the in crowd to get decent routes...

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Charlotte, NC

I worked at SYGMA Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a driver for Sygma, if you work hard work, there is good money, but the hours are long, and not much home life. Not much of a family oriented company. If you can wade through all the problems and make your way off the extra board to get an actual bid the job is fine. The benefits are OK. Just be careful. Management only have your back until they don't need it. They will find a reason to fire you if they don't like you, I'm not only a member but the president!! Best advice for new drivers. Be accurate on your deliveries and they will love you. The hardest part of my job is not having the resources needed to get my job done properly and efficiently. The most enjoyable part of my job is the relationships I have built with my co-workers, some that I'm still in touch with.

Cons

Director of transportation and manager were fired in summer of 2013, and 4 month later, days I took off under FLMA was not being counted as FLMA days. I was given a week to bring in doctors notes or be terminated. I called FLMA company that tracks days and time out and was told be them I didn't need doctors note because all the days that I took off and reported to them was I turn reported to Sygma. They didn't understand why Sygma waited so long if there was a discrepancy to ask for documentation, when under federal law, all I was obligated to do was notify them and Sygma within a couple of hours of my start time. I was told to fight this, but I was already working within weeks of them terminating me, and with the birth of my son, didn't need another distraction. Management there does not give support to supervisors. They will back stab each other, every chance they get. VP/GM is involved in day to day but is the worst person to ask to mediate issues. He will tell you talk with the mgr. Then he always tells you that he agrees with what they said. They can NEVER KEEP managers very long. I was there 2 years and have seen multiple mgrs. and transportation directors, just research and see how many times transportation supervisor job has been posted in last six months in charlotte nc. That should speak volumes. They simply can not retain supervisors or drivers. Management talks negatively about drivers behind closed doors and mistreat them which is the reason for such a high driver turn over rate. If you are new the other drivers will treat you like you are dumber than dirt. The warehouse workers do not care at all in the slightest way about how your load is handled or loaded. You WILL waste the most time looking for 1 or 2 pieces for your stores or digging out a pallet that has been misplaced. If you complain about them management will tell you that you are the last line of defense, and that the loads are not an issue, and they are doing everything correctly. So if you come here to work in the warehouse, know that you can do this job as bad as you wish and management will treat you like gold. So lets summarize: Favoritism, lack of communication, unprofessional staff, poor management, large employee hire /fire rate. No room for advancement, constant lies from management. I think that's about says It all!! Do yourself a favor and stay clear!!

Ok job, not a career.

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Newnan, GA
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Newnan, GA

I have been working at SYGMA Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is good if you are willing to work. 2 drivers so you are not alone during overnight deliveries. 401k is decent. Good job if you want to make a quick buck, but definitely not a career.

Cons

Management is horrible. The only way to complete the routes in the times they give you is to work out of the berth, which violates DOT regulations. Not much home time, management will flat out lie to get you to come in and run extra routes- Example: You get a phone call saying you have 4 stops in GA, when you arrive, you notice they "forget" to tell you that you also have a stop in Montgomery, AL. Backhauls are also a big issue. After working for 20-28 hours, you have to go sit at a backhaul for 5-7 hours. And backhaul pay is only 40 dollars.

Better treatment of drivers to reduce turnover rate. Don't pick and choose which rules you want to follow at certain times.

Decent place to work

I worked at SYGMA Network

Pros

Workweeks are 40 hours a week and that's it. You get a solid hour lunch break, and in most cases can choose your work hours.Most employees are fun and easy-going. It's a pretty typical office job. No huge surprises.

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement. Raises or bonuses are sparse. The annual review process is antiquated and needs updated. The office is very bland and drab which bothered me more than I thought it would. And to echo the other reviews--tons of young employees and tons of lifers. If you fall in the middle somewhere, it's difficult to connect with other employees.

It's amazing how diverse the employees are at Sygma, but little is done to tap into their abilities outside of basic data entry. Get to know everybody a little better and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Time saving Ideas

Former Employee - Never Worked for You But Have Worked In A Warehouse Now Retired in North Portland, OR

I worked at SYGMA Network (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company is willng to work and improve

Cons

Need someone to work on coordintion of freight, order pulling and dock.

Color recognition is a quick way to keep parecels going to areas coordinated. Have somone who knows the route come up with a color scheme. post the color sheme chart.... red goes on end of truck so it gets delivered ie red hot ready to go. then another hot color such as pink for the next area... then the next area maybe yellow and on down using colors such as green and finally brown and then black for the last load off the truck.

Now the warehouse guy knows that a box with a red dot would not go towards the rear saving the truck driver time .
    This system requires the order filler to have some idea of the delivery route or there should be a list of the customers and the cooresponding colors. The order puller can use bingo dobbers to mark the box. Any route driver could draw up a delivery list/color list for the order filler.

A little time by order filler and a little awareness by dock loader would get colors together and prevent a driver from waisting valuable truck delivery time.

So So

Current Employee - Purchasing & Inventory Control Specialist in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Purchasing & Inventory Control Specialist in Dublin, OH

I have been working at SYGMA Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The health insurance is good. If you want an easy office job, with no challenge, and easy-going co-workers, then this is the job for you. The majority of employees are a mix of newbies fresh out of college, or "lifers", because SYGMA used to fund a nice retirement pension (no longer), so many were able to settle into their management roles. Flexibility for work-life balance is nice too.

Cons

If you want a real career with opportunities for advancement, look elsewhere. Nepotism and favoritism determine whatever few advancement opportunities appear. Actual work ethic, achievement, and performance outcomes do not determine advancement here. This is a recurring theme, and once an employee understands this, s/he tends to begin looking for a new job. The work itself is simple, but the volume of it is excessive. Salary raises are sparse, company-wide. No new employees are offered a bonus potential.

The rampant nepotism and favoritism must be addressed, in order to attract and retain solid talent from outside, and to promote a culture of growth.

Decent

Current Employee - Customer Service in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Dublin, OH

I have been working at SYGMA Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They work with your schedule, if you are going to school order entry there is so easy you could do it in your sleep. Good benefits.

Cons

The pay a customer service rep is much lower than it should be, a lot of nepotism all through out the company. There isn't much opportunity for promotion.

Not for Everyone

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Newnan, GA
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Newnan, GA

I worked at SYGMA Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Benefits and decent retirement plan. Home time is often and you have decent equipment. Most of the supervisors were drivers at one time.

Cons

Long Hard Work Mostly At Night. The routes have to be run on a schedule set by salesmen and customers a lot of the drops don't get checked for accuracy after you've left and on the way back to the warehouse. A lot of the product is loaded out of order so you have to dig to get the right product to the right stop.

You'll keep better drivers with better pay and stability. Also the warehouse workers that load the trucks should share in the hits that the drivers get for inacurat or late deliveries do to product being mixed up.

Good money...Lousy management

Current Employee - Warehouse Loader/Selector in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Warehouse Loader/Selector in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at SYGMA Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are willing to work long hours, you can make a lot of money. Great benefits. Four day workweek or overtime if you want it.

Cons

Management expects the world from employees. Keep on hiring idiots. Not good at training. No loyalty to employees. No standard operating procedure.They seem to be making things up as they go along.

Take hints from your parent company Sysco and run things right. Treat your employees with respect and not like property. Use the same standards for Supervisors as you do for other employees, regardless of race, religion, or other factors.

SYGMA Network Photos