SYKES

SYKES Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes

Chuck Sykes

Pros:
  • "Work from home opportunity that allows some flexibility"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Good working environment and the people are friendly"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic"
    in 9 reviews
  • "This company has a extremely high turn over rate"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sykes IT: End-User Support Specialist

End User Support Specialist (Current Employee)
Milton-Freewater, OR

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent Entry Level position, your tasking scales up as you learn more. The senior IT engineers are brilliant and very helpful and willing to teach if you're motivated.

ConsOperations and IT are constantly at odds. Operations side views IT as someone to blame when things go wrong, or an adversary needing to be overcome or manipulated. Senior IT management is nearly powerless to combat this and will regularly burn highly skilled and motivated engineers and support personal for political infighting and personal squabbles. There's no real upward mobility, outside local site IT, there's severe cronyism and nepotism at the higher levels, and skill is not recognized or rewarded. You're also grossly underpaid for the work you do, and they are not afraid to increase scope of responsibility without promoting to an appropriate position.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your IT people what they are worth, and you might actually get quality IT teams, the good ones see the writing on the wall and leave.

The most mis-managed company with low pay and poor benefits

Sumter, SC

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than a year

ProsYou get to sit down during your shift, if you are able to find a seat. They do offer benefits. They do provide paid training. Some team managers actually care.

ConsManagement is not trained on employment laws, EEOC, nor ADA. Team managers are selected due to their stats, very poor management. Reverse race discrimination. High turnover. Always changing teams and managers. I'm on my 13th manager in a little over a year. Their expectations of us are unreasonable and we are not compensated accordingly. Salary freeze. Have to go by a strict schedule. Poor computers with a lot of problems, programs often freeze during a call. Unable to use the restroom when needed. Expected to put up with a caller yelling and cussing at you. Always arrive to work with the fear of being fired. Company has no heart, does not care about you, only your stats. Very unprofessional employees on the floor that callers can hear agents cussing or sounding like a party. Very intimadating way of managing. Very stressful. Scored on everything you do, every minute. Favoritism. They act like they care and want to help, but when it is needed, they do not provide it. Herd employees in and out like cattle. You do not receive 2 days off in a row, unless you work 10hr shifts. Procedures change daily, but are not communicated to employees. Place is a joke, a complete mess, another lawsuit waiting to happen. Oh, you do get a nice shiney pen after working there for 2 yrs...benefits do not cover much and they have a cap on how much they will pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees concerns. Compensate us fairly for the hard work we do. Educated managers on how to manage people, employment laws, ADA, etc. Set reasonable goals. Share the wealth. Provide benefits with better coverage. Question why there is a high turnover rate. Take ownership of the many problems and DO SOMETHING!

CSA

CSA (Current Employee)
Malvern, AR

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than a year

ProsNice break room? Um. Nice chairs?

ConsUnrealistic schedule adherence expectations. Discouraging management. Forced to do sales which is not what I was hired for. Promises made and broken daily. Motivational speeches about advancement where none exists. Unforgiving points system where even an automobile breakdown on the side of the road will lose you points, but then again the points form we are FORCED to sign does state "no exceptions". I am very unhappy. I have met my end of everything but they refuse to meet their end. They're like a morgue...the faster they can get new bodies in, the faster they can get old ones out. The place is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting inexperienced boys to TM's and give the women of the company a chance at more than just the coveted unachievable position of HR.

Get in, bankroll, get out! Not a real career. No work-life balance.

Call Center (Former Employee)
Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

I worked at SYKES part-time for more than a year

ProsInteresting - challenging (highly stressful) Little higher than min wage plus bonus depending on State. Try to label us as PT to avoid full healthcare but want at least 37.5 /wk. OT 40+ hrs come available often at time& half but be aware it may be 80+ if you get paid every 2wks, tricky. Bonuses sometimes get "lost" due to office politics, QA scrutiny or good ole buddy system. Only thing constant is change. Just hit n run like blackjack, it's a crap shoot & they control the wheel. Not a real career because they will most likely be there only until city/state tax breaks are deleted, then they'll woo another town or move to another country. But don't plan on getting a transfer to the Caribbean, you'd have to be at the top of the pyramid. They claim to have flexible schedules but they shake up the schedules, seating every couple of months so no sense of stability or planning if you have transpo, kids, or other life such as leisure, or school time or search for a real career path. IF YOU THINK OF IT AS TEMPORARY YOU WILL DO WELL, SAVE UP FOR INEVITABLE LAYOFFS!

ConsSykes has a m.o. method of operandi of doing this dance. Read the last layoff with Sprint at Sykes Spokane at Federal Trade Act Petition that employees won to get re-training & other assistance. Sykes got wise this time & appear to be sending jobs to Florida first then probably later layoff & secretly give those jobs to Costa Rica or other foreign countries. Sykes ALLY BANK client was for offshore banking online, go figure?! The Sprint crew got lucky & when 167 of us got layoff we petitioned (only need 3 employees) or as WorkSorce Rep to start one. Google Sykes history of layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real before it's too late for you. Be kind to your peons, you never know when you may need a referral from them when the axe falls. Think you are climbing the corporate ladder? Think again, do research Google how Sykes does layoffs worldwide.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Stay Away, Current Customer Service Rep

I have been working at SYKES part-time for more than a year

ProsWorking from home, not driving in traffic.

ConsDisorganized. Your training is rushed, and you can't get help from the team leads when needed. They would leave you and the customer stranded. They are combining customer service, sales, tech support, and other service into one department, with the same low pay. Your supervisor demands a answer when your stats are low, but can't help or answer any questions that you need regarding a customer. They used about 7 different systems to find one answer and if your computers goes down, you sometimes would not get paid for it, even when it's there fault. The calls are back to back, with no time to fix customer's accounts. This is a very stressful job, with little pay. The CEO will give you the bull crap talk when you are 1st hired about his open door, which is always closed. My training class started out with 24 now it is only 6 of us left. My best advice is to STAY AWAY....

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really need to figure out how to combine the systems to make it easier for us to use. You need to train your upper manager and team leads to help when needed and stop playing the blame game, because at the end of the day you are only hurting the customer. Since you keep adding more work, then you need to add more play.

Not very good in any respect.

Training Coordinator (Current Employee)
Amherst, NY

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA job at Sykes is better than no job at all.

ConsTerrible benefits. Personnel are strictly numbers to be manipulated at will to suit corporate goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a grip on how your poor personnel policies affect employee attitude, motivation, and loyalty.

Worst Company I have ever worked for!!

Customer Service Agent (Current Employee)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

ProsJust about anybody can get a job there

ConsThey treat their employees awful, the benefits leave something to be desired, after almost 3 years of working there, they have gone thru 2 MAJOR layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect we are your front lines

Poorly run - management constantly over your back - unattainable metrics - In one word: NIGHTMARE.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Sydney, NS (Canada)

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome co-workers made the day bearable.

ConsWhere to begin? GROSSLY mismanaged, favoritism, favoritism, favoritism.
Weekly metrics structured so it was impossible to meet goal in all areas.
Benefits too expensive based on wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a corporate headhunter sit in on operations for 30 days so in fairness to the employees and the good of the center in general you will have the opportunity to either be (a) retrained and have the opportunity to upgrade your credentials or (b) walked out the door entirely.

Worst Work at Home Experience Ever

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at SYKES part-time for less than a year

ProsThe ability to work from home

ConsNo benefits, system issues, lack of communication from management.

Disorganized, Terrible Systems and Management unqualified

Norfolk, VA

I have been working at SYKES part-time for more than a year

ProsThe ability to work from home

ConsSykes have Team Managers (TM) that really needs training. The whole Sykes Management team needs traning or hire qualified employees!

1. You can not bully someone to work mandatory overtime!!! If you don't work you will be "terminated"! This could be a lawsuit in the making!!! Scheduling training after your shift is over! The turnover rate is soooo high and they need agents on the phones!!!! You wouldn't have this problem, if you valued the employees and give them more money!

2. Their system is a joke! Their systems are always failing, then IT tells you, it's your ISP.

2. The training for new hire needs to be longer, very ineffective! Their motto is you will learn once you start taking calls. The employee needs to learn the basic first.

3. Pay in very inadequate. But it's something, until something else comes along and that is going to be pretty soon! All the demands that has been applied to the CSRs, is absurd! You don't pay much, it's part-time because you are not allowed to work over 39 hours, but they want you to work the 39 hours each week. Demanding, using tacky and unlawful tactics will only cause for your employees to go against you and not want to work for you.

4. Employee morale is low!!!! Employees are under appreciated, underpaid. Why would I want to continue to work for a company that operates like the owner name is "Gyp Rosetti" (Boardwalk Empire HBO tv show).

5. Management is very incompetent! Always trying to find a negative in everything you do! Nothing Positive! A person minds starts to rebel once you tell them what they will do or else! That's more like a threat.

6. Company does not keep their promise.....Where is our pto (paid time off)? I guess they offered it to us then took it back.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees more, If you want to make something mandatory, make it "mandatory" for upper and lower management to have a college degree in Business Management! So they can successfully manage the employees!

The key to a success business is not bullying, demanding, using unlawful tactics like you are "Gyp Rosetti" to "make" your employees do something!!! But one of the keys to having a successful business is "employee morale"! If you don't have employees that are happy, it will be directed to your customers and in turn, SYKES will lose business.

Worked for SYKES? Contribute to the Community!

SYKES Videos

SYKES – Why Work for Us?

For more than 30 years, SYKES has been in the business of creating and maintaining satisfying relationships between client companies and their customers. During this time, they have also been creating gratifying jobs… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SYKES reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SYKES CEO Chuck Sykes. All 254 reviews posted anonymously by SYKES employees.