SYKES

SYKES Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes

Chuck Sykes

Pros:
  • "Work from home opportunity that allows some flexibility"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Good working environment and the people are friendly"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic"
    in 9 reviews
  • "This company has a extremely high turn over rate"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Love hate relationship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SYKES

ProsYou start at $9, you can bonus off sales for TV, Internet & Home Phone and now if you add a line of service and if your surveys are good. They give an example of an extra $1,600+ in bonuses every month. If you want to move up they will do all they can to get you there. They have an "exchange" for employees in need where there is food and clothing and much more for those who need it all for free. The site director is extremely friendly and they all have an open door policy. It's mandatory full time with optional over time. You get an hour lunch and tons of schedules to choose from. They will also work with those in the army or in school.

ConsThe bonus off of sales sounds great but it is EXTREMELY hard. Some customers get mad, sometimes there is absolutely no way to offer to customers. And if you don't offer you get wrote up. They are more concerned about making sales then they are of their actual customers having their issues fixed. They cut the highest bonus that was over $300 down to $75 and below that used to be over $200 and now it's $55 and the lowest bonus for WTR (willingness to recommend AT&T) is down to $45 from over $100. So they cut that back a lot. It's a call center. It will literally make you hate your life. You just have to weigh the bad and good, it sounds amazing when you start and you are like Why would any one ever leave?!? This place is amazing!! Then 6+ months down the lone you are like, How do I escape?

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pushing so hard on making sales that it makes your employees want to quit. There is more to our customers than selling them things. I would definitely say look into changing the way your TMs bonus so that it's better for the employees and management. I absolutely loved my job until you threatened me about sales.

The people you work with are your only incentive.

I worked at SYKES part-time for more than 3 years

ProsSteady paycheck, competition, flexible shifts

ConsOutdated equipment, unfriendly front office, disgusting bathrooms, no appreciation

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is to spend a week as a CSR or Team Manager to really understand your employees. You have no idea.

Leadership

Technical Trainer (Current Employee)
Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than a year

ProsOpportunities, friendly environment, good location

ConsMiscommunication, contradicted policies, organization and schedules

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is one of the important keys for success.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Positive, but not paid enough.

Tampa, FL

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible work environment. Exceptional leadership.

ConsThe pay isn't commensurate with the job requirements.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the salary caps, promote faster, reward success and punish failure.

you only got a promotion if you knew the right people

Bank Agent (Current Employee)

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Prospromote from within, salary, work environment

Consyou were only able to get promoted if you knew someone higher up, and once your a tenured agent they switch up the metrics and goals to try and get you out the door

Advice to Senior Managementstop treating your tenured agents like crap, and treating new ones like gold

Very poor place to work .. but ok to get first experience in this field.

Eugene, OR

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

ProsPay adequate, not spectacular, by any means. Use this place to get your first experience, then go elsewhere to continue your career - this place is a dead-end.

ConsI never received a cent of any of the bonuses that were promised. Very adversarial work environment. Management and client focus so much on upselling that customer service falls by the wayside and is a secondary issue at best. Regardless of how many clients ask to speak to your manager to give you kudos, you still live or die career-wise based upon how much upselling of the client's services you do, and how great you make the client look, regardless of how badly screwed over the end user was, how many calls it took to finally get through to for client to finally get some help said client, godawful hold times, etc. A survey with a mark of 7 out of 10 will sink your numbers big-time and ruin your willingness to recommend score. It takes several almost perfect scores to offset a bad one. Employee morale is incredibly low. Even the best at sales constantly afraid of losing their jobs. Employee turnover is very, very high, that should tell you something. Many have resumes out seeking other employment opportunities, even if it means lower pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your word to your employees. Pay them bonuses in a timely manner. De-emphasize sales, or at least make all those uneccessary meetings and special training classes you require about sales and closing techniques. Stop coddling and holding up as heroes employees willing to deceive the customer just to get sales. You may be surprised how many of those sales fall off as customers realize they've been 'had'.

Stay away

Wise, VA

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than a year

ProsYour feet aren't about to fall off at work because you really aren't doing physical work. It's all mental. The trainers are usually nice.

ConsThey put customers ahead of employees. If there is a major snowstorm and the roads are too bad, you get chewed out for missing. It's impossible to get off for NECESSARY DOCTOR'S APPOINTMENTS THAT CANNOT BE RESCHEDULED EASILY! I hate it for the customers who have to wait longer on the phone but sometimes, you just have to deal with it. I hate waiting too but there are worse things that could happen. If a 10.0 magnitude earthquake happened or if a gunman went on a rampage there, they'd still expect us to stay on the phone because 'our customers depend on us."

Too much favoritism happens. People who get promoted usually do not deserve it.

If you want access to the paystub system, Globalview, tough luck! It takes them 6 months to give you your login credentials. If you forget your credentials, there's another 6 months before they get back to you. Usually hesitant to give you your paystub if you have direct deposit.

Seniority is never considered. For those agents who mentor training classes and transition groups, the business usually picks newer agents over those who know everything inside and out.

For attendance, you are allowed 22 points for missing. That may seem really good, when it is, but when you have to take the hit on attendance instead of getting approved for the time off that you need, it isn't. I got fired for 24 points before other people who had close to 50 points. If you are sick and you have a doctor's note, you still get it counted against you for the first two days.

Quality assurance agents are complete morons, with the exception of a couple. Same goes for management.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more competent.

Worst job ever

Team Manager (Former Employee)
Greenwood, SC

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than a year

ProsIt paid the bills.

ConsPoor management from the top down. Everything was horrible. No consistency and very ineffective policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to suggestions from employees.

Customer Relations Representative

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

ProsTrainer was wonderful but didn't really teach anything. Very awesome co-workers and always having a party or something. Great benefits and promotes from within.

ConsHR and the girls that are at the front desk are a piece of work. The girl at the front desk always has an attitude and a smart mouth.

Call center

Customer Service Agent (Former Employee)

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

ProsPay is above average for position
Training prepares you well for work demands
Upper management cares about employees success.
No other pros as far as I can see.

ConsShifts can be long depending on your client and scheduling needs for the client.
Servers used ran far slower than were needed for the amount of calls being handled.

Worked for SYKES? Contribute to the Community!

SYKES Videos

SYKES – Why Work for Us?

For more than 30 years, SYKES has been in the business of creating and maintaining satisfying relationships between client companies and their customers. During this time, they have also been creating gratifying jobs… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SYKES reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SYKES CEO Chuck Sykes. All 254 reviews posted anonymously by SYKES employees.