SYKES Reviews

Reset
2.8
SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • its a work from home job so you don't spend money on gas or take out (in 28 reviews)

• promote from within, salary, work environment (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • what can you expect from a call center (in 13 reviews)

• Upper management making high end dollars with little or no raises for those who are generating the business (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Metrics Team Supervisor

Current Employee - Metrics Team Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Metrics Team Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

working from home is a great experience I have been with sykes for 3 years now I enjoy my job immensely advancement opportunities are available all the time

Cons

no cons for me I love it here

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

2. No salary increase for 5 years

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

Friendly environment. Lots of festivities they celebrate during work time. Birthdays, Showers and Holiday celebrations.If you just want some training and then move on this is the place for you to get a good start.

Cons

There are people that work at my site that has been there for 5-10 years and never received a salary increase. The job start at $9.50hr., you get an extra $.50hr., if you get to work on time. They give another $.50hr for quality bonus if you get it. I believe the bonus is set based on budget and they only give it to a few people. This is how it works, they monitor your calls and if you follow all of the rules of receiving calls you get the bonus $.50. Your quality rating need to be 100%. Now what they do is, you could have 100% for the week then receive an 85% just out of nowhere this knocks you out of your bonus. You know you have done everything right on every call but still don't get the bonus. That's how they get you! All of there IT Department, Billing Department, HR Benefits are outsourced. So if you have a IT issue you are calling India for computer repairs. The turn over rate is extremely high. My training group started out with 28 people and only 9 are left and I've only been there for 4 weeks. All holidays are not paid but you have to take off because the call center is closed. So for that day you loose a day of pay or take is out of personal time off.

Advice to Management

Nothing because the will never listen, Sykes is overly consumed with greed and don't have a caring bone in their body. Not much to do here but run!

3. Customer svc agent

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at SYKES part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to work from home, nice co workers to work with.

Cons

Training was NOT thorough enough. They throw you on the phones without ensuring you know what you are doing. They get rid of you if you don't know enough, because the training SUCKED!

Advice to Management

Train your new hires more efficiently. Stop cramming them and expecting them to be efficient after one week of training. No real 'nesting' period given either!

5. customer services

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the people that are employed there are fantastic.

Cons

management and rules are out of this world impossible.

Advice to Management

make sure data entry is completed for every customer.

6. Corrupted, cheating, and unprofressional in Shanghai branch

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only thing I can get from this company in Shanghai, China branch is multinational friendship. I give only 1 star for this because we (all international employees) faced the same problem and united to fright for our right together (but failed due to unfair contact and using some tricks cheating us).

Cons

There are so many problems more than I can explain in here. It is full of cheating environment here. All employees need to protect there right and money from non-sense cut off. Our life have no future, can't predictable. One day, you will be kick-out from this company with a non-sense reasons and no compensate. They give us an unfair contact and need to do every things they say even you have a right to say no. All expatriates agents here work like a modern-day slave. No rewards/promotion/compensation on the horizon. If we get some problems about our wage, no one going to help, not even just a team leader who is the most closest to the agents. There are many tragedies here about cheating and corrupting normal agents salary. For example,

- The company lay-off agents with out at lease 1 month notice in advance and no compensate if you not ask or fright for it (even they give you, they will try all tricks to deduct your money)
    - The company changed the pay date and cheated 1 day pay (after changed the pay date, 1 HR manager resigned with 1 day money from all of employees here).
    - The company promised to give us and help us many things but never happened.
    - Every promises conducted by the word of month, never by document (even we already asked for it).
    - The client give money to the company for hiring 3 agents, but the company just hire 1 or 2 agents and force 1 agent from other department work for this department without give any benefit.
    - Work overload. As I said, 1 agent take care many departments for free
    - If the company cancel the agents contact, They will not to give the agents compensation. But, they will force the agent to work in new department or higher position without any benefit (or even decrease the salary) to let the agents resign for themselves.
    - Backstabbing office politics. If you are not their Favorited, there's no point to work diligently for recognition. So that means they are getting a great deal from you.
    - The job is no future, no development, not thing except get a call and send an email.
    - OT is not pay by money, but pay vocation hour even if the contract indicated that all the employees can choose money or vocation. (we can't choose money because higher position want to get higher bonus)
    - The company never pay full year-end bonus. They always have some non-sense excuses (no about performance) to deduct it.
    - They advertised the job that they have a shuttle bus to take employees and have a good hotel for expatriates to live. In fact, I never see that shuttle bus during my employment (1 year and 7 months) and I couldn't call the was a hotel at all. It is very low class poor building with full of cracking on the wall and no corridor lights and water supply sometime. Moreover, when check-out it is come with an overcharging electricity and water bills that need to pay in cash only.
    - They not turn on AC during Summer and not turn on heater during winter because the company always said it malfunction and still fixing (but it just never been finished)

There are so many bad things about Shanghai management that I facing. All I can do is just let it be and let it go. They care more about the clients (money) than they do on their own employees. As I said before, management style is amateurish. You are working with people who don't follow through with requests, gave too many restrictions that prevented employees from doing their jobs, or kept changing the restrictions, and refused to invest in more manpower to help deliver what the clients needed.

In conclusion, Do not come to work here. If you want to enjoy an Expat life in Shanghai, There are too many companies waiting for you with an Expat package benefit.

PS. All the sentences above only apply for Sykes (Shanghai) co. ltd.

Advice to Management

I have noting to say about management team in Shanghai branch. Such atrocious company that do NOT care for their employees which is why turnover is horrendous there. They pretty much want to keep the money as much as they can to themselves. Stop telling your employees how worthless you think they are, while expecting them to devote their entire lives slavishly to you without hope of advancement or compensation.

Only advice for someone in HQ to kick-out all of Shanghai management persons and assign a good person come here to clean all the bad things.

PS. I think even the HQ also never know how bad it is because when the HQ person visited, they all pretended.

7. Good Place

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

Pais training, help as need

Cons

They paid training is based on states minimum wage. So the pay will differ from each state. Minimum wage in Ga is $7.25 and that sucks.

Advice to Management

Na

8. Flex Facilitator / CCP

Former Employee - Flex Facilitator/CCP in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Flex Facilitator/CCP in Denver, CO

I worked at SYKES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working from home so no commuting.

Cons

Tenure does not matter. Supervisors have "favorites"........... Don't look at overall productivity and dedication over the time you invest with them.

Advice to Management

Have Supervisors and those in Lead positions first experience what the "front line" or "Customer Care Representatives" experience and earn their way to those positions.

9. What a Joke!!!!

Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in New York, NY

I worked at SYKES part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None I can think of.

Cons

Extremely low pay. High stress. systems crashing all the time. Team Leaders and Managers who try to make you think you're working for a good company.

Advice to Management

No advice. Management has ruined enough things already. They're not going to listen anyway.

10. Absolutely Horrible

Current Employee - Cable Repair
    Current Employee - Cable Repair

I have been working at SYKES (Less than a year)

Pros

work from home, save travel time and expense

Cons

Too many to list but i will list some,
    Bad for your health, started experiencing back problems and headaches from focusing on the computer screen all day.
    Making me do a technical job that should pay double what they are paying. $12 and hour
    you have to learn and memorize alot to start working
    Horrible trainers, very unprofessional, not enough trainers
    Hours depend on the customers demand, so you never get a stable paycheck and hours
    force you to sign and agree on 40 page documents in the middle of the training and if you want to read them , do it on your own time , if you don't agree, your FIRED .ILLEGAL!!!
    Your supervisors will call u at anytime during the day or night

Advice to Management

I know your making a lot of money subcontracting getting $15 and hour and paying your employees $12 but respect people and pay them a decent wage

11. Unprofessional. Supervisors do not know there job so they can not help reps.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Allentown, PA

I have been working at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a steady job. Hard to get fired from. The pros are very hard th o think of outside of a steady paycheck.

Cons

Pay checks are horrible. No advancement team leads make a dollar more then reps. Leads never want to help if when they do it's attitude. Everyone does not get treated the same.

RSS Feed </> Embed