SYKES

SYKES Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes

Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Work from home opportunity that allows some flexibility (in 19 reviews)

• great benefits, gives consideration to undergraduates,good BPO company for starters, good working environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic (in 11 reviews)

• Team managers are selected due to their stats, very poor management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Management Sucks

ProsSykes provides flexible hours .

ConsIf your looking to grow with the company find another job. Management is always changing. Management never wants to be bothered and are always in "special meetings." There are no pay raises no matter how great your work is. Misinformation is given to employees from Management.

msr

Pros8 wks course so it gives you time to learn the software used and they test once a week to make sure you are learning the material.

ConsThe benefits are not as affordable as expected especially when the pay is pretty low already.

Ghetto

Member Service Representative (Current Employee) Fayetteville, NC

Prosno pros what so ever for working at this company ,this is the worst job I've worked,the pay is bad ,the management is worst

ConsNo proper training,no structure,put it like this my very 1st day of training the person from HR came to talk to the class and while she was talking she was painting her fingernails,she also told us that she was in a fight during her time in training and still got promoted ..wow

Advice to Senior Managementinterview people who have management experience

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

At Sykes I was a Customer Care Agent for AT&T

Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) Eugene, OR

ProsI loved assisting the customers and I loved my co-workers

ConsI didn't like it that the customer care agent were trained for 7 weeks, but the corporate store and retail clerks were trained only 2 weeks. 75% of our calls were dealing with how the corporate/stores had messed up customer accounts.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain care agents and clerks the same way

OMG STEER CLEAR!

Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) Allentown, PA

ProsNothing, absolutely nothing, nada, zilch, zero, oh wait...I do enjoy my fellow trainees, the trainers...and that's it!

ConsOn your initial interview, you will be told different things that are later wrong. There are no new hire packets distributed so everyone gets different info depending on whom you speak to.

They basically hire anyone with a pulse. Start you at slave wages and no raises. You can't hey straight answers on benefits, dress code, etc.

No using your computer to even look at your paycheck stub to print out; you must use the one and only "kiosk" in the break room.

No entrance to see anyone in HR or the site secretary. Oh and if you have questions about HR related issues, good luck. Pour site was told HR comes to the office on a non scheduled basis.

I was told benefits world begin after 30 days, they don't for 60 days. The health insurance offered had no out of pocket maximum so you just keep paying till you die. The plan is SO bad that it doesn't even qualify under the Affordable Care Act!

Unless you enjoy being lied to and making $9.50 an hour, don't even apply.

Hours at this site vary from 11am to 11pm est, and right now are M-F however, because we do Medicare, during October through February, you will be working weekends too!

It's just a Mickey Mouse operation, oh wait, Disney isn't lame!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a freaking clue!

Call centre contracted to Westpac Bank. Laughable place to work

Inbound Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) Gold Coast (Australia)

ProsYoung, fun, group of people to meet/ work with.
    Learning about financial products/banking
    Its easy to get away with not doing any work as the managers are total airheads.

ConsManagement are absolutely useless and it will ruin your time at work. Staff have been underpaid for a month and it won't be corrected for months as team managers are very unhelpful. You will be thrown in the deep end with little training and no support. Team Managers will not answer questions, you are told to look it up whilst customers are getting angry on the phone awaiting a simple answer to be confirmed when you are unsure. You will deal with abusive customers everyday and when they ask to speak to a manager the managers will make excuses to speak and have you deal with them in other ways. You may not be comfortable with the work you are undertaking and you will still be trained into extra departments (e.g complaints line) without a choice and with no pay rise. You will be Never will be appreciated for doing good work only spoken to when you are being coached on how to reach unrealistic targets. Thing I have learnt most over the year is Westpac is actually a terrible bank so be prepared to deal with complaints and abusive customers. After 6 months if you are always well behaved and have good statistics you can apply for a team manager position where you will earn a massive increase of 50 cents per hour. There is no where to progress from team manager. This is essentially a call centre who has no real connection with Westpac bank.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeam managers are first point of contact for all employees. Hire competent people with management experience, not people with neck and face tattoos who are looking for the 50c pay rise per hour. I've never seen such a massive staff turn over at a workplace, it's clearly because the staff are just treated as numbers.

My experience with sykes has been wonderful, I learned so much from this place.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Fayetteville, NC

ProsThe good thing about sykes is the fact that they are always training of they ensure that we have extensive training in every thing that our job entails. I also like the fact when allow us to voice our opinion about things that we like or do not like

ConsThe most important con working at Sykes would have to be the pay.they do not pay us enough

Advice to Senior Managementno thank you.

Too much stress for too little money.

At Home Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsSchedule is a set one which is nice.

ConsThe wages are a joke for what we have to put up with. Too stressful for minimum wage. Too much abuse from customers and the expectation that every customer will be happy after talking to us is unrealistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the wages so people will want to stay. The schedule is not bad. Stop being unrealistic in expectations of how we can resolve 100% of customer concerns.

Downward Spiral

ProsWork-life balance is ok. Most colleagues from my department are ok.

ConsVery very limited training, zero financial growth, nepotism.
    The global/corporate leadership, as well as the local leadership in the Philippines lack vision and foresight. Since 2010, it seemed that the company mantra is to remove very talented individuals for the sake if either nepotism or meeting the gross profit margins.
    The management, almost everyone with power, can't handle change. The arrogance is overwhelming. I'm starting to think that everyone was issued nostalgia glasses.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate: stop bickering. Do something about nepotism in your ranks.
    Sykes Asia: target growth in every direction. Be more aggressive in expanding the business AND ensuring employee satisfaction. Also, do something about nepotism. It has become an epidemic. It can be found both in and out of your call center operations.

Do not overlook the ones that work hard to do their job right.

Deposits (Former Employee) Wise, VA

ProsThe people that work there are great most of the time. They really care for each other. Very involved in fund raisers to help cancer, diabetes etc.

ConsInsurance was not that good.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore advancements would be good.

Worked for SYKES? Contribute to the Community!