SYKES

Updated August 19, 2014

2.2

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Work from home opportunity that allows some flexibility (in 19 reviews)

• great benefits, gives consideration to undergraduates,good BPO company for starters, good working environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic (in 11 reviews)

• Team managers are selected due to their stats, very poor management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

I feel very satisfied, rewarded, and even further educated due to my time spent working at Sykes.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Hays, KS
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hays, KS

Pros

The co-workers were always fun and helpful and it is always nice to have a computer always at/on hand when answering a call, helpful, in depth, and appropriate training, as well as a great database of information to draw from when on a call regarding nearly any problem a caller may have.

Cons

Poor hours, few directing supervisors, boring and empty working environment, which can cause a problem if you cannot find the information you are looking for relative to the caller's problem directly in the Sykes database and would like to speak to someone directly about it, (as getting support yourself by phone from a supervisor on one line while giving it to a caller on another line can get confusing really quick.)

Find ways to keep employees busy, give things to do on long waits (2 hours+) between calls, & find more efficient/less tedious ways to log them.

Best job I can ever obtain to establish a relationship developing a plan of action

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Sumter, SC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sumter, SC

Pros

Gaining commitment with the customer leading to a suspension of my own values to isolate critical issues and represent business

Cons

I'm not a supervisor LOL

Give certificates or awards to the best employers

Would not recommend

Current Employee - Call Center Representative  in  Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Fort Smith, AR

Pros

It pays more than average for the area, and is a simple job

Cons

The management makes everything unnecessarily stressful and difficult. The building is absolutely disgusting, and they continuously run off the cleaning staff. Roaches, mold, fleas, etc. They refuse to work with you on the scheduling unless your stats are flawless. 100% everything. So, if they assign a shift you can't work, guess what? You're getting fired because they won't help you get to a shift you can work. On top of that, the 'benefits' all count against you, and HR continuously misrepresents how things work.

Stop hiring management for filler, as it makes for bad management and poor scores.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Avoid if possible

Pros

It's a desk job. The dress code is pretty casual. There really aren't many pros.

Cons

The training is long and tedious, but as soon as you go into nesting you realize how much you did not learn. My entire class was completely unprepared as we took our first calls. For instance, we were told the most common call would be to make a payment, yet we were never trained on how to process a payment. We were told over and over that we would have a ton of floor support and we did not.

The training was all over the place and very unorganized. One person would tell us one thing, only to have someone else tell us completely different. There was a ton of down time where we talked amongst ourselves.

With 5-6 weeks of training, there's no reason why Sykes can't prepare employees better. My class had 6 people quit by the time we went into nesting.

We were also told that if we stepped away from our phone to use the bathroom, that we had to deduct that time from our 15 minute break. I was told, "we don't pay you to use the bathroom." I'll be speaking with someone about that policy.

The problem with this company is simple: they don't pay their employees enough. Their "management" is comprised of poorly paid, poorly educated, power-hungry employees. The managers don't make much more than their subordinates (who make $9/hr), and in this case, you get what you pay for.

Except for the employees on the phone. We were expected to not only assist the customers with their needs but also try to sell them Uverse products as well. We were told to make an offer on every call- no exceptions. Seems like a lot to ask for $9/hr.

I'd rather wait tables than work here again.

1. Pay your management more.
    2. Hire qualified management with previous experience. The managers there had no business in that role.
    3. Completely reform your new hire training.

Difficult to work for

Current Employee - CCP
    Current Employee - CCP

Pros

Overtime for the company is a plus

Cons

Hard to communicate with team leads, and have poor management. There is always an issue with their systems and you never get paid for your full time

Extreme Nepotism (It's a 'who you know' environment)

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL

Pros

If you associate yourself with the right people in management, and they like you, you will be able to move up in the company rapidly.

Due to ObamaCare, a new company was hired to handle benefits at the beginning of the year (2014). The benefits are at the minimum limits of ObamaCare, but, it is Far better than what the benefits had previously been.

Cons

There have not been any Standard of Living pay raises for agents, as well as management (other than the upgrade from CSR to manager) since the inception of several of the clients that Sykes employ's for.

If you don't associate yourself with a member of management, and prove yourself to them within the first few weeks of taking calls, expect to be an agent until you find employment elsewhere. This is in reference to the nepotism in the title.

Please take seriously any communication that agents give you.

OMG STEER CLEAR!

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent  in  Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Allentown, PA

Pros

Nothing, absolutely nothing, nada, zilch, zero, oh wait...I do enjoy my fellow trainees, the trainers...and that's it!

Cons

On your initial interview, you will be told different things that are later wrong. There are no new hire packets distributed so everyone gets different info depending on whom you speak to.

They basically hire anyone with a pulse. Start you at slave wages and no raises. You can't hey straight answers on benefits, dress code, etc.

No using your computer to even look at your paycheck stub to print out; you must use the one and only "kiosk" in the break room.

No entrance to see anyone in HR or the site secretary. Oh and if you have questions about HR related issues, good luck. Pour site was told HR comes to the office on a non scheduled basis.

I was told benefits world begin after 30 days, they don't for 60 days. The health insurance offered had no out of pocket maximum so you just keep paying till you die. The plan is SO bad that it doesn't even qualify under the Affordable Care Act!

Unless you enjoy being lied to and making $9.50 an hour, don't even apply.

Hours at this site vary from 11am to 11pm est, and right now are M-F however, because we do Medicare, during October through February, you will be working weekends too!

It's just a Mickey Mouse operation, oh wait, Disney isn't lame!

Get a freaking clue!

Ghetto

Current Employee - Member Service Representative  in  Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Fayetteville, NC

Pros

no pros what so ever for working at this company ,this is the worst job I've worked,the pay is bad ,the management is worst

Cons

No proper training,no structure,put it like this my very 1st day of training the person from HR came to talk to the class and while she was talking she was painting her fingernails,she also told us that she was in a fight during her time in training and still got promoted ..wow

interview people who have management experience

Disappointing

Former Employee - Quality Manager  in  Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Quality Manager in Spokane, WA

Pros

The people I worked with had great dedication to the QA department

Cons

No backing from upper management

Listen.

Um

Pros

Its a good opportunity . If you love people it would be a great opp for you as well. Fun environment

Cons

No words . Don't get paid enough .

Pay More.

Worked for SYKES? Contribute to the Community!