SYKES Reviews

Reset

1. customer services

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the people that are employed there are fantastic.

Cons

management and rules are out of this world impossible.

Advice to Management

make sure data entry is completed for every customer.

2. I worked at the Sykes call center that was an affiliate of Bank of America.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sumter, SC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sumter, SC

I worked at SYKES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview is done online. There is 8 weeks of training. It could be fun and informative if you have a great trainer. After 6 weeks of training, you get put in a team and your team leader helps you through OJT. Once on the floor, you get a team manager. Mine was awesome and a great motivator. She always encouraged us to be the best and was always helpful. The pay is above minimum wage and you do have insurance.
    Yes, you may have upset customers who will cuss you out. I always put the phone on mute and laugh because they can't see you. Please don't take it personal.
    You get a small 9% incentive for availability, handle time, and survey. I always had great surveys. If you cant get a TM to help, my coworkers helped out a lot
    On one of your breaks, read up. Info changes daily.
    The do have give a ways and our site donated a lot of money for local charities, which is awesome.

Cons

*Not enough pay.
               You get paid so little to do so much. The actual workers a BOC gets paid way more. I think we had the best and knowledgeable staff because the people who worked at the actual company NEVER knew the simplest tasks.
    *Technical Issues
                  I had to come in to work 30 minutes early to find a working computer. Some of my coworkers would saves seats for their friends and lie about the computers being broken. There was never a sign up saying the computers were down
    *Escalation
                 Some of them had the worst attitudes ever. They barely wanted to do their jobs and would look at you crazy or send you to someone else if you need help. One guy said I said mam too much (which is how we show respect in the south).
    *Promotion
                  Not much room for promotion. And if you want to move to a department that does double duty (blended) the extra $0.25 is not worth the headache.

Advice to Management

Pay more for blended workers. They do double duty.
    Make workers feel appreciate and not like prison inmates
    Allow people to take the vacation (unless it's a holiday or people put in a lot for that day) when they put in for it. I personally know someone who has worked there for two years and got their vacation denied every time.
    More pay overall
    Get reliable IT people. Not ones who sit around and get a free paycheck
    Talk to your workers. See about the issues they are having. Create a better work environment.
    Even though I no longer work there, I think is management took pride in their employees, it will be a little better place to work.

A thank you can go a LONG way.

Sykes Enterprises Inc.

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Auburndale, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Auburndale, FL

I worked at SYKES (More than a year)

Pros

Easy employment, fairly simple job.

Cons

Not very good about approving time off.

5. A Great Place to work (Lakeland II)

Current Employee - Trusted Advisor in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Trusted Advisor in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

I won't say it's perfect but there's absolutely chances to do better. For example the commissions and stuff It makes it a little bit better!

Cons

Having Net Rep tied to getting overtime. Net rep is something that the customer get a text about and it could have nothing to do with you. The customer might get another survey about someone else and you get it because the customer doesn't relalize.

Advice to Management

Upper Management is great... More worried about my TM and FSR's

6. Corrupted, cheating, and unprofressional in Shanghai branch

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only thing I can get from this company in Shanghai, China branch is multinational friendship. I give only 1 star for this because we (all international employees) faced the same problem and united to fright for our right together (but failed due to unfair contact and using some tricks cheating us).

Cons

There are so many problems more than I can explain in here. It is full of cheating environment here. All employees need to protect there right and money from non-sense cut off. Our life have no future, can't predictable. One day, you will be kick-out from this company with a non-sense reasons and no compensate. They give us an unfair contact and need to do every things they say even you have a right to say no. All expatriates agents here work like a modern-day slave. No rewards/promotion/compensation on the horizon. If we get some problems about our wage, no one going to help, not even just a team leader who is the most closest to the agents. There are many tragedies here about cheating and corrupting normal agents salary. For example,

- The company lay-off agents with out at lease 1 month notice in advance and no compensate if you not ask or fright for it (even they give you, they will try all tricks to deduct your money)
    - The company changed the pay date and cheated 1 day pay (after changed the pay date, 1 HR manager resigned with 1 day money from all of employees here).
    - The company promised to give us and help us many things but never happened.
    - Every promises conducted by the word of month, never by document (even we already asked for it).
    - The client give money to the company for hiring 3 agents, but the company just hire 1 or 2 agents and force 1 agent from other department work for this department without give any benefit.
    - Work overload. As I said, 1 agent take care many departments for free
    - If the company cancel the agents contact, They will not to give the agents compensation. But, they will force the agent to work in new department or higher position without any benefit (or even decrease the salary) to let the agents resign for themselves.
    - Backstabbing office politics. If you are not their Favorited, there's no point to work diligently for recognition. So that means they are getting a great deal from you.
    - The job is no future, no development, not thing except get a call and send an email.
    - OT is not pay by money, but pay vocation hour even if the contract indicated that all the employees can choose money or vocation. (we can't choose money because higher position want to get higher bonus)
    - The company never pay full year-end bonus. They always have some non-sense excuses (no about performance) to deduct it.
    - They advertised the job that they have a shuttle bus to take employees and have a good hotel for expatriates to live. In fact, I never see that shuttle bus during my employment (1 year and 7 months) and I couldn't call the was a hotel at all. It is very low class poor building with full of cracking on the wall and no corridor lights and water supply sometime. Moreover, when check-out it is come with an overcharging electricity and water bills that need to pay in cash only.
    - They not turn on AC during Summer and not turn on heater during winter because the company always said it malfunction and still fixing (but it just never been finished)

There are so many bad things about Shanghai management that I facing. All I can do is just let it be and let it go. They care more about the clients (money) than they do on their own employees. As I said before, management style is amateurish. You are working with people who don't follow through with requests, gave too many restrictions that prevented employees from doing their jobs, or kept changing the restrictions, and refused to invest in more manpower to help deliver what the clients needed.

In conclusion, Do not come to work here. If you want to enjoy an Expat life in Shanghai, There are too many companies waiting for you with an Expat package benefit.

PS. All the sentences above only apply for Sykes (Shanghai) co. ltd.

Advice to Management

I have noting to say about management team in Shanghai branch. Such atrocious company that do NOT care for their employees which is why turnover is horrendous there. They pretty much want to keep the money as much as they can to themselves. Stop telling your employees how worthless you think they are, while expecting them to devote their entire lives slavishly to you without hope of advancement or compensation.

Only advice for someone in HQ to kick-out all of Shanghai management persons and assign a good person come here to clean all the bad things.

PS. I think even the HQ also never know how bad it is because when the HQ person visited, they all pretended.

7. Good Place

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

Pais training, help as need

Cons

They paid training is based on states minimum wage. So the pay will differ from each state. Minimum wage in Ga is $7.25 and that sucks.

Advice to Management

Na

8. New Day

Current Employee - Account Manager in Bloomsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Bloomsburg, PA

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was lucky to move up quickly through out the company, within 3 years.

Cons

Currently I don't have any.

Advice to Management

None at this time.

9. Analyst

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility and it is a pretty good place to work

Cons

Poor Pay and thats about it

10. Excellent Place For Growth

I have been working at SYKES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sykes prides itself on its 'Culture of Support' and in the year or so of my experience with them, this has been made very clear and very evident. Salary is also competitive for HR work.

Cons

Processes need improvement; not for people who want quick and easy money. You have to work to earn your pay but it's worth it.

Advice to Management

Work on improving your processes - there are multiple teams working on the same thing and things get lost in the bureaucracy of the organization. Focus on humanizing your process.

11. Okay

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

-Plenty of Overtime Hours available
    -Nice Work environment
    - Okay Health Benefits

Cons

-Very Low Pay
    -Not much guidance for escalated calls
    - Long hours

RSS Feed </> Embed