SYKES

www.sykes.com

Good company

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

Good supervisors who are willing to answer your questions and help you.
    Work from home which is great!

Cons

Pay could be better for certain positions, but its work from home so that is a huge plus!
    Not always steady work- if your position is seasonal there is not a guarantee to be another position available right away.

N/A

SYKES Response

Feb 21, 2015Sr. Manager TA Marketing & Sourcing

Thank you. We appreciate the feedback and consistently look for ways to support our employees.

Used to be a Great Company

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

Working from home is the best part

Cons

I have not received a pay raise since 2009.

The leadership, for all it's talk of 'People First', doesn't listen or respond to it's employees--we are all consistently told that we are replaceable and our input is most definitely not valued or considered.

When I first joined the company, then known as Alpine Access, it was a wonderful experience. Everyone I worked for and with looked forward to coming to work and there was a true team atmosphere as we all worked together to meet our goals. Now the emphasis is strictly on profitability and leadership is stretched so thin that the 'family' atmosphere has completely gone. We are told that the culture is 'People First' however when a directive comes down from above, there is no discussion or input allowed by those of us who will actually be implementing the change. Ludicrous ideas are suddenly mandated by those in leadership positions (who've never even taken a call for example!), and we are required to get on board with every idea, even though the ideas can be damaging to not only our processes, but also to our careers and even to our company's reputation. A VP gets a 'great idea' and suddenly it's mandatory, with little or no thought to the consequences for those who are impacted. This is most definitely NOT a 'People First' company, but a 'My way or the highway' culture.

Only if you are desperate for experience, or extra money.

Former Employee - Tech Support in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Tech Support in Denver, CO

I worked at SYKES full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I appreciate the technical experience that I gained from the.
    Sykes is a legitimate company. They will not steal your identity, or clean out your bank account.

Cons

The wages are low. This is advertised on the site. However, you will work very hard for those low wages.

The hours are long. When signing up for Sykes, they ask you to pick a ten hour window of availability. They promise that you will not have to work ten hours, but will only work 8 hours at a time. This is far from true.

The breaks are "iffy". You are promised two 10 minute breaks and one 30 minute break. However, if the phones are busy, then these breaks are revoked. They will say that the client needs all hands on deck. Believe me. Answering phones, resolving tech issues, and notating the calls for ten hours is a lot harder than it sounds.

Sykes is inconsiderate of your days off. Team meetings are mandatory. However, you have to attend during your time off.You will not have a work life balance here.

Missing Payments. This did not happen to me personally, but there was a mass email about missing time on checks. This is definitely something to consider if you are planning to sign on with Sykes.

They were dishonest about their potential. There was a lot of talk and promises about how Sykes is a great place to grow professionally. They assigned a life coach, promised that our project would last for six months, and then promised that everyone would have a place at Sykes after the assignment ended. This was completely false. At the beginning of production, we heard rumors that our project was being ramped down (it was coming to an end). This turned out to be very true. Sykes finally got around to addressing this issue a few days before it happened.
         Not only did they drag their feet about informing us, but they did not have enough spaces available for everyone. We were supposed to be on the project until June 2015. It ended in February 2015-one month after we went into production.

Please show that you care about your employees. If you are going to have people work ten hour days, then you should compensate them for that. I also feel that training should be longer. There were situations that we were not prepared for. Finally, I feel that you should be more up front about the company that you are. Sykes is a company where people can work for a couple of months for a few extra dollars. Please stop selling yourself as a great place to work and grow professionally. That is not what Sykes is.

Lifescan customer service rep

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Amherst, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Amherst, NY

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

The call center is nice and everyone is cooperative. They give you $5 Tim Horton cards when you receive a compliment call from a customer.

Cons

The customer reps are underpaid.The hourly pay should be higher for the bilingual reps. They also don't appear to give raises and you can only get a raise if you are promoted.

Typical Work At Home Ripoff

Current Employee - Customer Care Professional in Northeast, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Care Professional in Northeast, NY

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

The trainers are OK. The hours are OK.

Cons

The training material is vague. They will throw you out on the phones even if you're not ready. The systems keep crashing. You have to account for every minute you are offline due the systems crashing and even then, you are not guaranteed pay for the outage. The pay is minimum wage. After working 3,000 hours, you are given a $.05 per hour raise. That, in itself, is a huge insult. Why do they even bother?

When the economy improves (and, eventually, it will) you'll be hard pressed to find good employees. I have never, in my entire life, heard of a $.05 per hour raise. This is the twenty first century, not the nineteenth!

Caution--work here at your own risk

Current Employee - Site Systems Administrator in Amherst, NY
    Current Employee - Site Systems Administrator in Amherst, NY

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked in the Amherst office. The co-workers were pleasant, the facility was nice.

Cons

Absolutely no job security. This company doesn't care on squat for its employees. It doesn't matter how good you are or what skills you bring to the table. The company is *solely* driven by its profit statements. If the call center is losing a client, it will lay off all the folks hired who support that client with minimal (if any) effort to retrain them or find them other positions. I was the sole I person supporting nearly 400 users. I have many IT certs, and made good (but not great) money. With absolutely no advance notice, they let me go and replaced me with an agent from the call floor that had never even held an IT support role before in his file. Yes, he had some personal experience with desktop software and hardware, but none with servers. So they saved a few thousand dollars and gave me a two-week severance package and escorted me right out the door. Avoid this company like the plague.

The people who work for you are more than just numbers on a balance sheet. They have lives, they have families to support. You should treat them with a little respect.

I am truly enjoying my experience with Sykes-- the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The reasons to work at Sykes would be the pay, benefits, location, the people, and the environment. If you are looking for a career opportunity with advancement opportunities then Sykes is the place to be. Personal growth is inevitable because it teaches you how to deal with people. You learn a lot about yourself by dealing with others. Sykes is a place where you can learn discipline, determination, and dedication. I truly believe that being with Sykes, I have learned that even with personal and professional growth- it's not a race. Sure we are a fast paced environment but at the end of the day, it's not all about being swift but enduring til the end.

Cons

Some challenges you will face in your journey with Sykes is that some people will have their own opinions about Sykes. The atmosphere is not for everyone and the job (in its entirety) is not for everyone; so with that, you will have a lot of negative feedback. If a person lacks discipline, determination, dedication, integrity, and moral standards then success in the business will not be an option.

The only advice I would give to management is that you must keep believing in yourself and your dreams. The common goal is success.

Great job with great opportunities!!

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love Sykes! I started out in the Maintenance department at Sykes in Malvern, AR. I have been given opportunity after opportunity to grow, learn, and develop as I learned reception duties, recruiting duties, and HR systems. I have had the opportunity to build relationships with people all over the country. I get to train, help, and support folks on the front lines working with our customers...the CSA's. I love my job, my team, my boss, and my sites! I love what our local Sykes' does for our community by offering great job opportunities with great pay and benefits for our area. I also love to see all the great work we do to support our local schools and organizations that help those less fortunate. Finally, I love the Employee Relief Fund that was started this last year. I love the idea of employees helping other employees in need.

Cons

I don't take the benefits because i get a better deal with my husband's employer, but they are good if you don't have other options.

It was intetstng to learn a new trade. I was a CCP Tech Support Agent

Current Employee - Call Center in Hattiesburg, MS
    Current Employee - Call Center in Hattiesburg, MS

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Paid training, Payroll, hours, and benefits

Cons

The Scheduled shifts were inconvenient.

None

Customer service representative

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

Sit down all day, stay busy

Cons

Need more training provided for new employees