SYKES

Updated December 9, 2014
2.2

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Sykes work from home cares for it's Employee's a great deal in many ways (in 28 reviews)

• This company creates a work environment where you want to do your best and then some for the team and the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • I've never worked in a more horrible call center (in 13 reviews)

• Company events that focus more on drinking by and with upper management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Mediocre at Best

Former Employee - Minion in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Minion in Lakeland, FL

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very few pros - Location
    Experience gained

Cons

I could write a book about all of the cons!!! Decisions made based on perceptions, feelings, gossip, and "noise" not made with facts, forethought, or sound judgement.

Get or together and stop letting great talent get away. Your teams and coworkers don't trust you.

Liked my job very much......Customer Service is No.1 to me!

Former Employee - Westpac Banker in Maitland, New South Wales (Australia)
    Former Employee - Westpac Banker in Maitland, New South Wales (Australia)

I worked at SYKES part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great for somebody who is young & related or a friend, looking for a job.
    Great for a job until you find the right job!

Cons

Management/Team Leaders & SME (Subject Matter Experts, that is) are 95% under 25yrs. Lacking people skills within adaptability, maturity within leadership skills especially. Poor training. NOT flexible at all. Blame Westpac for restrictions & never take it front on.
    NOT

Read all feedback & take it on board.
    Employees depend on trusting the BRAND they work for.

Good.

Current Employee - Online Bank Teller in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Online Bank Teller in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Learning banking regulations and the ability to learn about the products they sell..

Cons

Having to work night shift 2:30 pm to 11:00 pm.

None other than needs more floor support.

Never again

Former Employee - Bilingual Customer Service Representative in Rosario, Santa Fe (Argentina)

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pros? What's that at Sykes?

Cons

The corporate culture is based on intimidation and unfriendly manners. You won't learn much, there's basically no training and the leadership is nonexistent: your immediate superiors are basically there because they're somebody-more-superior's friend.

Go get some managerial qualifications and some ethics and then come back to business.

The most fun I ever had while working.

Current Employee - HRA in Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - HRA in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is an effort to reward employees in small ways.

Cons

The work can be very difficult.

More with Less is not always possible.

So so

Current Employee - IT Manager
    Current Employee - IT Manager

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great job for Customer Service reps who are looking for experience in the industry as well as people who want to advance their career. Sykes does promote from within so you can learn as much as you can from the various training and opportunities offered.

Cons

Once you reach management level, your job security if pretty much out the window. The company says they strive to promote from within etc. however, when people who have been with the company for a while reach a certain level and are seen as invaluable because of another company acquisition, they aren't considered important anymore regardless of how long they have been with the company.

So, if you do strive for management, know that once you get there, your time with Sykes is limited regardless of your performance because the "new" company will be considered the golden children until the next acquisition. Lay offs are the norm now for management. Who wants to work for a company like that? Not me, which is why I have my resume out.

Appreciate the people you have and stop making every new company you acquire and the people from that company the preferred ones. Treat everyone within the organization within respect and do a better job of communicating why all the lay offs happen.

not a good company

Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Malvern, AR
    Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Malvern, AR

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

was a it down job while i was pregnant and could not be on my feet

Cons

they push you to get people off the phone as fast as you can and don't care if you actually fix the callers issue. they have gone thru over half of the work force in my area and do not rehire if you are fired/quit.

Sykes

I have been working at SYKES full-time

Pros

The pay is biweekly which is great. They have opportunities for promotions. After six months of working there, you get a raise

Cons

You will have no kind of social life, or life period, outside of this job. The hours are horrible. Too many unnecessary rules.

BEST job of my LIFE

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Top Performer in Manchester, TN

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been at this company for a full year now, and in the past year I have come to realize this company is amazing.
    1. Sykes work from home cares for it's Employee's a great deal in many ways.
    2. Management cares about you as a person and your success .
    3. I have grown in this company quickly in the past year and I could not work for better people. Sykes give you so much room to grow and I love that the most about this company. NOT ONCE have I felt that I was in a dead in job.
    4. I love not having to leave my home
    5. The perks and bonuses are amazing love winning things too :-)
    6. I love working in the team setting together achieving GOALS
    7. Your voice never falls on deaf ears here
    8. This company creates a work environment where you want to do your best and then some for the team and the company..
    9. Training was in depth and you knew you were prepared
    10. Work life balance can be achieved depending on your shift selection

Cons

1. I do wish for one thing better benefit options.

♥!!!!!KEEP IT UP!!!! ♥

Not bad if you can meet metrics and deal with Stress, but outsourcing cost me my job

Former Employee - TSR in Pikeville, KY
    Former Employee - TSR in Pikeville, KY

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Team Environment if you work FOR Sykes in their centers for the most part. Work at Home, I am not sure but based on what I have heard its completely different. You get to handle and fix issues for customers that can be satisfying in itself depending on the attitude of the customer.

Cons

Bad Calls or Customer contact can deter workers from wanting to do a good job. Meeting Metrics is more important than the Quality / Solution to the problem. Techs who meet Metrics regardless of whether or not the Customer is satisfied or problem resolved get rewarded, whereas the REAL Techs that fix the problems, that do not meet Metrics get penalized. This is NOT a good system to use. Whoever came up with this system needs to be tar and feathered. Pay is not that good in regards to the stress levels and overall work experience.

Advice to Company: Reward your Techs for 'fixing" the problems and providing a good customer service to the community. Metrics do not mean as much as you think and Customers care more about solutions than getting rushed off the phone. Last but not least, stop the outsourcing. You are sacrificing quality for quantity (US Citizens do not like to talk to non-English (coherent) speaking people for the most part. Your contributing to the decline of the economy in the USA. Stop being greedy and start helping your country / fellow Americans rather than hurting them.

My advice to Management: Treat your Team Members with respect in ALL situations. Work with them not against them and you will have better results. Difficult problems take time and consideration to fix. Stop penalizing your techs for trying to fix problems. Customers stay longer and spend more money with companies they feel are "trying" to help them. Pay your people more and they will do a better job and feel better about their self and the company they work for.