SYKES Reviews

Updated March 31, 2015
540 reviews filtered by

1. Call center

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

Great people and pay considering

Cons

Call center. Loud. Sale driven

SYKES Response

Feb 21, 2015Sr. Manager TA Marketing & Sourcing

Thank you for your feedback.

Used to be a Great Company

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

Working from home is the best part

Cons

I have not received a pay raise since 2009.

The leadership, for all it's talk of 'People First', doesn't listen or respond to it's employees--we are all consistently told that we are replaceable and our input is most definitely not valued or considered.

When I first joined the company, then known as Alpine Access, it was a wonderful experience. Everyone I worked for and with looked forward to coming to work and there was a true team atmosphere as we all worked together to meet our goals. Now the emphasis is strictly on profitability and leadership is stretched so thin that the 'family' atmosphere has completely gone. We are told that the culture is 'People First' however when a directive comes down from above, there is no discussion or input allowed by those of us who will actually be implementing the change. Ludicrous ideas are suddenly mandated by those in leadership positions (who've never even taken a call for example!), and we are required to get on board with every idea, even though the ideas can be damaging to not only our processes, but also to our careers and even to our company's reputation. A VP gets a 'great idea' and suddenly it's mandatory, with little or no thought to the consequences for those who are impacted. This is most definitely NOT a 'People First' company, but a 'My way or the highway' culture.

3. FAVORITISM IS THE PROBLEM WITHIN THIS COMPANY

I worked at SYKES

Pros

working at home, that's it

Cons

If you are the type of person that can play the part of "teacher's pet" and get in "good" with your initial trainer, you may have a chance at making it at this place...I had the worst possible trainer and therefore, I never stood a chance at this place

why give advice, they don't listen

Company does not set the agents up for success very well.

Current Employee - Call Center Agent in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Call Center Agent in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

I learned quite a bit regarding medicare advantage programs.

Cons

Training needs to be more detailed to set the agents up for success instead of throwing them out to the floor with minimal information.

Consistency in the TMs and floor support so that when agents ask for assistance the information provided is accurate.

SYKES Response

Feb 21, 2015Sr. Manager TA Marketing & Sourcing

Thank you for your feedbakc. We appreciate your ongoing employment and look for ways to continously improve.

Pretty good job opportunity for working from home.

Current Employee - Customer Care Professional in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Care Professional in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at SYKES part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company has been very good about following doctors orders as far as my work restrictions go. There are bonuses to be made of either unpaid time off or cash depending on how many hours you work. Lots of opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Low pay compared to other similar customer service jobs. Have to work 3,000 hours before you get a raise of $0.05/hr. Company does not pay for your internet or phone service & some needed equipment for the job (but it's a tax deduction).

Long hours are hard in this type of position are, especially when calls are nonstop. One 10 min break per 1.5 to 2 hours worked is good for this type of job.
    Systems go down a lot & it gets very frustrating when we are told that we must report every minute not accounted for by the phone system, even though we don't get paid for any outage less than 15min.
    I spend more time having to notify the support team and copy my team lead on everything I do than it takes to just help my customers. Then we are told that we are expected to follow up with customers & be sure their issues are resolved but not allowed to have time to work on issues unless customer is on the phone with us but expected to keep calls down to 8 min. Very challenging.

7. Dream Job, dream company-Hands down!

Former Employee - Customer Service Gaming Specialist in Terre Haute, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Gaming Specialist in Terre Haute, IN

I worked at SYKES full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company has a strong sense of seeing each employee prosper and develop into the best agent you can possibly become! As long as you keep your supervisor in the loop and communicate, you should not have a single complaint!

Cons

There is no room for technological issues in this or any work at home position. With that being said the position can be very stressful due to the company's systematic issues on a daily basis, which can make an already stressful job-a horrible experience!

Fix the system issues and develop support or a more feasible window for employees when they too have tech issues due uncontrollable circumstances.

Only if you are desperate for experience, or extra money.

Former Employee - Tech Support in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Tech Support in Denver, CO

I worked at SYKES full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I appreciate the technical experience that I gained from the.
    Sykes is a legitimate company. They will not steal your identity, or clean out your bank account.

Cons

The wages are low. This is advertised on the site. However, you will work very hard for those low wages.

The hours are long. When signing up for Sykes, they ask you to pick a ten hour window of availability. They promise that you will not have to work ten hours, but will only work 8 hours at a time. This is far from true.

The breaks are "iffy". You are promised two 10 minute breaks and one 30 minute break. However, if the phones are busy, then these breaks are revoked. They will say that the client needs all hands on deck. Believe me. Answering phones, resolving tech issues, and notating the calls for ten hours is a lot harder than it sounds.

Sykes is inconsiderate of your days off. Team meetings are mandatory. However, you have to attend during your time off.You will not have a work life balance here.

Missing Payments. This did not happen to me personally, but there was a mass email about missing time on checks. This is definitely something to consider if you are planning to sign on with Sykes.

They were dishonest about their potential. There was a lot of talk and promises about how Sykes is a great place to grow professionally. They assigned a life coach, promised that our project would last for six months, and then promised that everyone would have a place at Sykes after the assignment ended. This was completely false. At the beginning of production, we heard rumors that our project was being ramped down (it was coming to an end). This turned out to be very true. Sykes finally got around to addressing this issue a few days before it happened.
         Not only did they drag their feet about informing us, but they did not have enough spaces available for everyone. We were supposed to be on the project until June 2015. It ended in February 2015-one month after we went into production.

Please show that you care about your employees. If you are going to have people work ten hour days, then you should compensate them for that. I also feel that training should be longer. There were situations that we were not prepared for. Finally, I feel that you should be more up front about the company that you are. Sykes is a company where people can work for a couple of months for a few extra dollars. Please stop selling yourself as a great place to work and grow professionally. That is not what Sykes is.

9. I really liked working there!!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grundy, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Grundy, VA

I worked at SYKES

Pros

Good pay for the work you do, dress the way you want to except on days that important people was going no to be there you had to dress fancy.

Cons

After training I got the hours from 4pm to 2am. I HATED those hours, to hard on people during the scoring part of the calls.

Lighten up on the call scores, not every call can Be less than 5 min and perfect!

10. Disappointed

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at SYKES (less than a year)

Pros

Nice and friendly environment. clean, hour lunch. easy to get promoted without previous experience and degree.

Cons

not considerate when it comes to weather conditions and sickness. if missing 3days without a doctor return to work order, you might as well don't return. pay is only 9.00 bucks and not worth the pay especially when you have to many systems to learn. might as well apply for at&t directly for 10-14 bucks an hour: Reading CSP makes the handle time higher. Need to have individual department for Sim replacement.

be considerate when it comes too (sickness, weather conditions) and delete telegence

11. Mixed Reviews

Former Employee - "A Support Role" in Fort Smith, AR
    Former Employee - "A Support Role" in Fort Smith, AR

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You could miss over 2 weeks before they term you (which I didn't). Most Team Managers are young so if you are buddies with them they treat you differently.

Cons

Pay is horrible. The people, in leadership, there are very immature and they treat you like children. The company 'promotes' you to 'leadership' roles such as OJT lead or SME, HR assistant or interim Team Managers without pay raises. They pay base minimum of the 'salary' they can by the laws in place for Team Managers. You never get a title change even if you are in any role except Team Manager. How do you hold someone accountable for something if they never sign a job description? Example of OJT leads that are in charge of a classroom of 25 ppl. This is a manager role with the job duties they have. The corporate leadership never know what's going on on site.

Act like adults.