SYKES Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

2.2

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Work from home opportunity that allows some flexibility (in 19 reviews)

• great benefits, gives consideration to undergraduates,good BPO company for starters, good working environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic (in 11 reviews)

• Team managers are selected due to their stats, very poor management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Misleading, Inconsistant, Disorganized.

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent  in  Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Eugene, OR

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

The job itself would not be so bad if agents were not constantly being brow beaten. Fellow employees are good to work with for the most part.

Cons

This job is represented as a Customer Service Agent position and never during the hiring process is it mentioned that sales would be involved let alone be the major focus. Agents are constantly being hovered over and threatened with losing their job if they do not sell a product that most agents know nothing about because the training is deficient. Agents are held accountable for the performance of anyone else who has come in contact with the customer. A customer can rate an individual agent at 100% but if the customer is dissatisfied with the company as a whole, the agent is penalized. Being rated an 8 out of ten is not a good score according to Sykes. Really? I could graduate medical school and become a surgeon with an 80% but, that is not good enough for a $10/hour job. Consistancy is non-existant. In training you are taught one thing, once you get into production, everything changes. One Team Manager tells you what to do and another tells you something completely opposite. I have never once had a day when all the systems needed to do the job (over 15 by the way) were working properly. If you like being told every single day that you are not good enough, take this job. Otherwise I would not recommend it. It will destroy your self confidence and morale. As for the customers of the client that Sykes works for, if you want a chance to voice your opinion in a survey, make sure you don't let on that you are unhappy in any way or Sykes will make sure you don't get a survey. Shady? You decide.

Represent the position for what it is. It is a SALES position. NOT a customer service position. Do an engagement survey of your employees. Walk around the call center and look at the faces of the people on the phones. Do they look happy?

No recommendations!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a job.
    Beats minimum wage

Cons

They "Say" moving up within the company is one is Sykes good qualities. This is not the case at Fayetteville 1.
    Lack of communication.
    Horrible attendance policy.... "what type of job doesn't accept doctors notes"
    Horrible Interview process
    This place is so unorganized
    It's a disgrace to call centers everywhere
    They hire anyone off the streets.!

Visit the site and obtain employee feedback. I'm sure not all Sykes sites operate like this one.

Very poor place to work .. but ok to get first experience in this field.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Eugene, OR

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay adequate, not spectacular, by any means. Use this place to get your first experience, then go elsewhere to continue your career - this place is a dead-end.

Cons

I never received a cent of any of the bonuses that were promised. Very adversarial work environment. Management and client focus so much on upselling that customer service falls by the wayside and is a secondary issue at best. Regardless of how many clients ask to speak to your manager to give you kudos, you still live or die career-wise based upon how much upselling of the client's services you do, and how great you make the client look, regardless of how badly screwed over the end user was, how many calls it took to finally get through to for client to finally get some help said client, godawful hold times, etc. A survey with a mark of 7 out of 10 will sink your numbers big-time and ruin your willingness to recommend score. It takes several almost perfect scores to offset a bad one. Employee morale is incredibly low. Even the best at sales constantly afraid of losing their jobs. Employee turnover is very, very high, that should tell you something. Many have resumes out seeking other employment opportunities, even if it means lower pay.

Keep your word to your employees. Pay them bonuses in a timely manner. De-emphasize sales, or at least make all those uneccessary meetings and special training classes you require about sales and closing techniques. Stop coddling and holding up as heroes employees willing to deceive the customer just to get sales. You may be surprised how many of those sales fall off as customers realize they've been 'had'.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst job ever

Former Employee - Team Manager  in  Greenwood, SC
    Former Employee - Team Manager in Greenwood, SC

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Pros

It paid the bills.

Cons

Poor management from the top down. Everything was horrible. No consistency and very ineffective policies.

Listen to suggestions from employees.

Stay away

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Wise, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wise, VA

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Pros

Your feet aren't about to fall off at work because you really aren't doing physical work. It's all mental. The trainers are usually nice.

Cons

They put customers ahead of employees. If there is a major snowstorm and the roads are too bad, you get chewed out for missing. It's impossible to get off for NECESSARY DOCTOR'S APPOINTMENTS THAT CANNOT BE RESCHEDULED EASILY! I hate it for the customers who have to wait longer on the phone but sometimes, you just have to deal with it. I hate waiting too but there are worse things that could happen. If a 10.0 magnitude earthquake happened or if a gunman went on a rampage there, they'd still expect us to stay on the phone because 'our customers depend on us."

Too much favoritism happens. People who get promoted usually do not deserve it.

If you want access to the paystub system, Globalview, tough luck! It takes them 6 months to give you your login credentials. If you forget your credentials, there's another 6 months before they get back to you. Usually hesitant to give you your paystub if you have direct deposit.

Seniority is never considered. For those agents who mentor training classes and transition groups, the business usually picks newer agents over those who know everything inside and out.

For attendance, you are allowed 22 points for missing. That may seem really good, when it is, but when you have to take the hit on attendance instead of getting approved for the time off that you need, it isn't. I got fired for 24 points before other people who had close to 50 points. If you are sick and you have a doctor's note, you still get it counted against you for the first two days.

Quality assurance agents are complete morons, with the exception of a couple. Same goes for management.

Be more competent.

Poor operations. No clear direction. Alpine operations & Sykes still operating as two not one.

I worked at SYKES full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are no pros that i believe can be shared about this former employer.

Cons

Two years after the Alpine buy-out there is still uncertainty about who is running who. Too many Execs with lack of operation skills. Very ho-hum. Time wasted on non-essential reports 'that have always been done'.

Adjust focus for true operations and not the flavor identified by who is in charge. Stronger Strategic involvement from the Board is needed.

Worst Employer in the Area

Former Employee - Call Center Agent  in  Fort Smith, AR
    Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Fort Smith, AR

I worked at SYKES for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay and most coworkers nice

Cons

Horrible upper management and site organization. When hired Sykes tells you about all the schedule flexibility and then refuse to change schedules. Seniority has nothing to do with moving up in the company and upper management and leadership treat you awful by cursing at you and only moving up younger cute women and women willing to be more than employees. Many managers and leads have been placed there by having relationships with the people in charge. Employes have absolutely no input or chance to give feedback.

Do your jobs without shouting and belittling subordinates who keep you in your job. Stop wasting money and then telling employees raises are not possible.

Disappointed

Current Employee - A&F Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - A&F Customer Service Representative

I have been working at SYKES part-time for less than a year

Pros

The only pro is you are working from home.

Cons

Call volume dropped on the project that I was on and I was removed from the program and placed back into the job pool. I am now waiting to be placed on another project.

Stop hiring so many people for projects at one time that way you don't have to remove people from projects right when they are getting comfortable with doing the work. I would recommend the company because I enjoyed working on the project that I was on while I was on it.

you only got a promotion if you knew the right people

Current Employee - Bank Agent  in  Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Bank Agent in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at SYKES full-time for more than a year

Pros

promote from within, salary, work environment

Cons

you were only able to get promoted if you knew someone higher up, and once your a tenured agent they switch up the metrics and goals to try and get you out the door

stop treating your tenured agents like crap, and treating new ones like gold

Customer Relations Representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL

I worked at SYKES full-time for less than a year

Pros

Trainer was wonderful but didn't really teach anything. Very awesome co-workers and always having a party or something. Great benefits and promotes from within.

Cons

HR and the girls that are at the front desk are a piece of work. The girl at the front desk always has an attitude and a smart mouth.

Worked for SYKES? Contribute to the Community!