SYKES

Updated November 15, 2014
2.2

SYKES President, CEO, and Director Chuck Sykes
Chuck Sykes

Pros
  • Sykes work from home cares for it's Employee's a great deal in many ways (in 27 reviews)

• This company creates a work environment where you want to do your best and then some for the team and the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a fairly typical call center: a lot of people have bad attitudes and the supervisors are masochistic (in 12 reviews)

• Company events that focus more on drinking by and with upper management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Would not recommend

Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It pays more than average for the area, and is a simple job

Cons

The management makes everything unnecessarily stressful and difficult. The building is absolutely disgusting, and they continuously run off the cleaning staff. Roaches, mold, fleas, etc. They refuse to work with you on the scheduling unless your stats are flawless. 100% everything. So, if they assign a shift you can't work, guess what? You're getting fired because they won't help you get to a shift you can work. On top of that, the 'benefits' all count against you, and HR continuously misrepresents how things work.

Stop hiring management for filler, as it makes for bad management and poor scores.

I feel very satisfied, rewarded, and even further educated due to my time spent working at Sykes.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hays, KS
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hays, KS

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The co-workers were always fun and helpful and it is always nice to have a computer always at/on hand when answering a call, helpful, in depth, and appropriate training, as well as a great database of information to draw from when on a call regarding nearly any problem a caller may have.

Cons

Poor hours, few directing supervisors, boring and empty working environment, which can cause a problem if you cannot find the information you are looking for relative to the caller's problem directly in the Sykes database and would like to speak to someone directly about it, (as getting support yourself by phone from a supervisor on one line while giving it to a caller on another line can get confusing really quick.)

Find ways to keep employees busy, give things to do on long waits (2 hours+) between calls, & find more efficient/less tedious ways to log them.

Avoid if possible

I worked at SYKES

Pros

It's a desk job. The dress code is pretty casual. There really aren't many pros.

Cons

The training is long and tedious, but as soon as you go into nesting you realize how much you did not learn. My entire class was completely unprepared as we took our first calls. For instance, we were told the most common call would be to make a payment, yet we were never trained on how to process a payment. We were told over and over that we would have a ton of floor support and we did not.

The training was all over the place and very unorganized. One person would tell us one thing, only to have someone else tell us completely different. There was a ton of down time where we talked amongst ourselves.

With 5-6 weeks of training, there's no reason why Sykes can't prepare employees better. My class had 6 people quit by the time we went into nesting.

We were also told that if we stepped away from our phone to use the bathroom, that we had to deduct that time from our 15 minute break. I was told, "we don't pay you to use the bathroom." I'll be speaking with someone about that policy.

The problem with this company is simple: they don't pay their employees enough. Their "management" is comprised of poorly paid, poorly educated, power-hungry employees. The managers don't make much more than their subordinates (who make $9/hr), and in this case, you get what you pay for.

Except for the employees on the phone. We were expected to not only assist the customers with their needs but also try to sell them Uverse products as well. We were told to make an offer on every call- no exceptions. Seems like a lot to ask for $9/hr.

I'd rather wait tables than work here again.

1. Pay your management more.
    2. Hire qualified management with previous experience. The managers there had no business in that role.
    3. Completely reform your new hire training.

Difficult to work for

Current Employee - CCP
    Current Employee - CCP

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overtime for the company is a plus

Cons

Hard to communicate with team leads, and have poor management. There is always an issue with their systems and you never get paid for your full time

Extreme Nepotism (It's a 'who you know' environment)

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you associate yourself with the right people in management, and they like you, you will be able to move up in the company rapidly.

Due to ObamaCare, a new company was hired to handle benefits at the beginning of the year (2014). The benefits are at the minimum limits of ObamaCare, but, it is Far better than what the benefits had previously been.

Cons

There have not been any Standard of Living pay raises for agents, as well as management (other than the upgrade from CSR to manager) since the inception of several of the clients that Sykes employ's for.

If you don't associate yourself with a member of management, and prove yourself to them within the first few weeks of taking calls, expect to be an agent until you find employment elsewhere. This is in reference to the nepotism in the title.

Please take seriously any communication that agents give you.

At Sykes I was a Customer Care Agent for AT&T

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Eugene, OR

I worked at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I loved assisting the customers and I loved my co-workers

Cons

I didn't like it that the customer care agent were trained for 7 weeks, but the corporate store and retail clerks were trained only 2 weeks. 75% of our calls were dealing with how the corporate/stores had messed up customer accounts.

Train care agents and clerks the same way

Disappointing

Former Employee - Quality Manager in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Quality Manager in Spokane, WA

I worked at SYKES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people I worked with had great dedication to the QA department

Cons

No backing from upper management

Listen.

Um

I have been working at SYKES

Pros

Its a good opportunity . If you love people it would be a great opp for you as well. Fun environment

Cons

No words . Don't get paid enough .

Pay More.

Full of lies

I have been working at SYKES full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At first a decent schedule with promises due to experience. Most of the TMs are ok

Cons

AMs who make it known who they like or dislike, horrible pay and benefits and broken promises

You don't have enough time

If only there were good changes in the workplace, then maybe it would be tolerable.

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent I in Fayetteville, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent I in Fayetteville, NC

I worked at SYKES full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing I've enjoyed was having the chance to meet great friends that would end up being long lasting friends. At one point of my life, I've been a pushover and always let things go. This job did teach me to strengthen myself and to not let people walk all over me.

Cons

There wasn't any stable leadership in the workplace. Managers constantly having "meetings" and never being around to help the CSR's. I didn't feel that the safety of the employees were a top priority to the managers. No leniency for people who have children and have emergencies. No chance to grow in that career due to favoritism. There is no professionalism, and on top of it all, even managers themselves don't follow the mission statement. I wanted to work at SYKES because of the mission statement, and I lost that interest after I immediately worked on the floor after training.

Please stop hiring everyone! Hire those who would actually work hard and help the company grow. Please look closely at your managers because they are just doing whatever they please and not helping your CSR's. If you care about the company, care about your employees. Happy CSR's will bring better results in my opinion, and truthfully at this location, there isn't a single happy CSR. Pop in unannounced and see what its really like, go undercover in your locations. Have some leniency for those with children and those who are married to the military. If the management was different and if the managers actually followed the mission statement, I would have stayed a bit longer. I was one of the top people that did referrals in my team and the whole call center, give some rewards to those who go above and beyond for you. All I ask is to at least consider what I tell you, because most if not all former employees feel the same way I do.