SYPartners

www.sypartners.com

SYPartners Reviews

Updated Jun 5, 2014
SYPartners – New York – “SYPartners”

Susan Schuman

Empathy and Aspiration

ProsPeople, creativity, culture, vision, unlimited sense of possibility

ConsDemanding pace, all encompassing work, could use more closed office space

Advice to Senior ManagementStay true to the vision...keep fighting for greatness

Transformative

Prosprojects are very interesting and stimulating, great working environment, lots of collaboration and team-work, horizontal structure, encouraging, and fun

Conshigh turnover rate of interns, therefore difficult for interns to assimilate into company culture and feel accepted into SYP's community

I'm two months in.. still adjusting to it. People say it takes them as much as a year to get used it.

Designer (Current Employee)

ProsThey they care of their people well.

ConsIt feels like youre working for rather than working with others.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt feels like youre working for rather than working with others.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great experience for some, toxic experience for others

(Former Employee)

Prosattempts to create positive values, open about company profits, extremely generous in many regards, interesting & brilliant staff, terrific kitchen & food supply, fun events thrown for staff, very easy to broach conversations with almost anyone in the company, a great place to learn more about a vast many topics, encouragement for people to share who they are and be creative, open communication of problematic issues highly encouraged

Consstaff tends to be judgmental beyond necessity, people therefore feel insecure and unsafe on the whole, toleration of destructive behaviors that do not follow the company's espoused culture & values from those who show deference and profitable benefit of keeping, cliques form and become exclusive depending on the track of work people are on, condescension and bad social behaviors trickle down from certain parts of management and sadly validate those actions in other roles beneath them

Advice to Senior Managementattempt to show empathy in a more direct way. stop letting bad behaviors drive good people out of the company. bravely put an end to the toxicity you know exists. stop defending bullies. go a little further in acting out your values.

Good company with momentum

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsBetween the time I started and now, the company has grown from ~60 employees in one office to ~120 employees in two offices. From my capacity in Ops (IT, finance, admin), the growth has been incredible and offered many opportunities to take part in process innovation and improvement to reduce friction in the workflow between the two offices.

ConsGiven that SYPartners is a consultancy, it's natural for the limelight to be on the consultants. For the rest of us in Ops, we're noticed when mistakes are made - which is less than 5% of the time. Some recognition can go a long way.

A truly collaborative exercise in strategy and design.

Strategy Intern (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros+ Sharp, interesting, talented, enthusiastic, optimistic, realistic, thoughtful, self-aware employees
    + Everyone—not just those on client work—is committed to delivering high quality work
    + No gossip or drama; the firm practices what it preaches
    + Top-notch office spaces and resources
    + Direct access to C-level clients, with whom the firm has a wonderful reputation
    + Inspiring, high-level work; every project feels like it has tons of potential to be monumental

Cons- There are a lot of type A personalities; the desire for perfection forces a lot of iteration. At times, you feel drained.
    - Getting feedback is tough, from scheduling the meeting to actually coaxing it out of someone
    - The talent development pipeline seems clear at a high level, but intricacies and particular competencies of SYP's workflow can be tough to pick up on if you're not on the "right" project or engagement

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop an onboarding and training program that focuses on the nitty gritty of what makes SYP's work unique to make sure everyone that gets through the recruitment process has the opportunity to do meaningful work.

Don't stop evaluating what SYP's doing, where it's going, and what its future will look like. I would hate to see the team lose what makes it special.

Fantastic company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros+ Creative, bright and really passionate people
    + Great client list and fascinating projects
    + Non-hierarchal and a very collaborative culture

Cons- Not a con really, but this isin't a place for people who need lots of structure or direction
    - Hours can occasionally be long. Depends on the client.

High caliber of work and people

(Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThis is the kind of place where people are incredibly thoughtful about the clients they bring in, and the work they put out. I feel cared for personally and professionally, and there is a strong emphasis on work/life balance, which in turn puts out better work. Cross-discipline collaboration takes high priority. The trusting relationships between clients and SYP leadership is something you'll find nowhere else, and is the recipe for making successful change at those companies.

ConsIncredibly high expectations of employees, constantly described as "not for everyone."
    Additionally, because there is such a high caliber of work, it can take a long time to get things done. Frustration culminates around a feeling of repetition within projects (overwhelming amount of dialogue and revisions around output), and across projects (primarily B2B clients, which can feel redundant to some).
    The culture is friendly, but overall not incredibly close.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage people to create great work but find ways to keep them inspired and loving what they do: Create more opportunities for fun and relationship-building outside of projects.
    Keep people on projects more consistently to avoid missing knowledge and repeated work.
    Make senior leadership more accessible.
    Find ways to recognize the value each employee is contributing to this small company.

Constantly challenging work in a fun, caring work environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe companies we get to work with, and the access we get to executives in those companies, are incredible. No two projects are the same, and there's no rote method for doing the work, so it's a place where you're constantly learning and picking up new skills. And the people are really driven, but not competitive or political at all.

ConsIt's a (relatively) small company, so there isn't as much promotion potential as larger consultancies or agencies. And most of the clients are US companies, so not a ton of exposure to international clients or international markets.

It is a challenging environment to work in

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIt is a place where I feel respected and have great working relationships with my colleagues, we have very complex strategy projects that I enjoy and feel like I am always being challenged.

ConsThe projects are Large, and often in an industry that is someone uninteresting, while they are good projects, I year for the more sexy kind of work

Advice to Senior ManagementA stronger vision as to where the company is heading and how we plan to get there. I dont always feel like that is clear

Worked for SYPartners? Contribute to the Community!