SYSCO of Louisville

SYSCO of Louisville Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steve Hocker

Negotiate upfront and get it in writing.

Marketing Associate (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsFlexible scheduling for your customers

ConsMiddle management not keeping their commitments, possibly hands tied by upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through on verbal commitments.

Don't believe them!

Marketing Associate (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsFairly nice set up to their training, 8 weeks total. Benefits were great. Was put up in some of the nicest hotels in Louisville while there on training/meetings. Steve Hocker is a really nice guy and makes sure everyone has his cell number.

ConsFirst outside sales job. I was told that I'd be given accounts to start me with (corporate goal is $7,000 in weekly sales), I was given $1,000 a week. They said they give 2-3 years to get comfortable in the position. Action plan after 11 months and fired three weeks later.

Working there was a nightmare. Sysco claims to have the highest product quality/specifications which compensates for being a little higher priced. Unfortunately, I tended to be around 20% over the competition selling at or below cost. It is also near impossible to find out the specifications or benefits that justify the price. Finding out requires you to contact a brokerage and try to get a call returned from your support rep (they're very overworked). Getting samples is basically impossible. To make commission, you need the entire order to come out around 10% margin (lord knows how you do that).

You will work 5 days and a half day on Sunday. 3 weeks in a row I received an email on Tuesday/Wednesday telling me to be in Louisville on Friday for margin training. While they have rebate programs, printing incentives and other benefits to the customers; there isn't a clear cut way to find what they are or how to put them to use.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't mandate your operating companies to hire if the managers say there isn't room for another territory (the reason why I was hired). Get some support reps that have actually dealt with the products and put them on your payroll to hold them accountable.

Spend some time on the street. We all just look and feel like ants down here.

Great company and potential, problematic management

ProsStable company, multiple areas to work in

ConsFavoritism by upper management in promotions, Seniority counts more than job performance, very low morale company wide

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the individuals at the bottom, not just to deparment managers and supervisors, they are the ones that listen to the sales force and customers on a daily basis. Communicate, communicate, communicate- important information is not passed on to the appropriate people quickly or at all some times

Worked for SYSCO of Louisville? Contribute to the Community!