SYSCO of Louisville Reviews

Steve Hocker

1. Awful compounded

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Evansville, IN

I worked at SYSCO of Louisville full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Trained in inventory management, cost analysis and menu design.
    Good looking company for a resume

Cons

My inherited accounts to help me ramp up was less than 1/7 of the size I was promised in training, despite coming from the highest performing district in the company. Every restaurant had worked with/been burned by Sysco in the past; you were the 10th associate to come in and give the same advice and your prices are 20% higher than the competition even if you sell everything at a loss.

Advice to Management

Corporate - stop hiring new associates that your districts don't want and don't have accounts to start them out with.

2. Marketing Associate

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Louisville, KY

I worked at SYSCO of Louisville full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility, other than salary, the benefits are okay.

Cons

Pay has become awful, way too much micro-management. Management needs to get out of the way and let people do their jobs. Also, the buddy system has to stop!!

Advice to Management

Let the MA's do their jobs and quit micro-managing. Increase the pay and pay more for veterans

3. Negotiate upfront and get it in writing.

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Louisville, KY

I worked at SYSCO of Louisville full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling for your customers

Cons

Middle management not keeping their commitments, possibly hands tied by upper management.

Advice to Management

Follow through on verbal commitments.

5. Don't believe them!

I worked at SYSCO of Louisville

Pros

Fairly nice set up to their training, 8 weeks total. Benefits were great. Was put up in some of the nicest hotels in Louisville while there on training/meetings. Steve Hocker is a really nice guy and makes sure everyone has his cell number.

Cons

First outside sales job. I was told that I'd be given accounts to start me with (corporate goal is $7,000 in weekly sales), I was given $1,000 a week. They said they give 2-3 years to get comfortable in the position. Action plan after 11 months and fired three weeks later.

Working there was a nightmare. Sysco claims to have the highest product quality/specifications which compensates for being a little higher priced. Unfortunately, I tended to be around 20% over the competition selling at or below cost. It is also near impossible to find out the specifications or benefits that justify the price. Finding out requires you to contact a brokerage and try to get a call returned from your support rep (they're very overworked). Getting samples is basically impossible. To make commission, you need the entire order to come out around 10% margin (lord knows how you do that).

You will work 5 days and a half day on Sunday. 3 weeks in a row I received an email on Tuesday/Wednesday telling me to be in Louisville on Friday for margin training. While they have rebate programs, printing incentives and other benefits to the customers; there isn't a clear cut way to find what they are or how to put them to use.

Advice to Management

Don't mandate your operating companies to hire if the managers say there isn't room for another territory (the reason why I was hired). Get some support reps that have actually dealt with the products and put them on your payroll to hold them accountable.

Spend some time on the street. We all just look and feel like ants down here.

6. Great company and potential, problematic management

I have been working at SYSCO of Louisville

Pros

Stable company, multiple areas to work in

Cons

Favoritism by upper management in promotions, Seniority counts more than job performance, very low morale company wide

Advice to Management

Listen to the individuals at the bottom, not just to deparment managers and supervisors, they are the ones that listen to the sales force and customers on a daily basis. Communicate, communicate, communicate- important information is not passed on to the appropriate people quickly or at all some times

RSS Feed </> Embed