Saatchi & Saatchi

Saatchi & Saatchi Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Saatchi & Saatchi Worldwide CEO Kevin J. Roberts

Kevin J. Roberts

Pros
  • You will rarely stay past 6pm and for the most part, can maintain a nice work-life balance(in 6 reviews)

• Good place to learn, especially when you want to find out about the structures of an international company(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor upper management in corporate office in Midtown(in 9 reviews)

• Very little new business and lots of money spent on trying to get it(in 5 reviews)

Overall - good place to work.

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat resume builder. Amazing people to work with. Learned a lot from the ground up. Good work life balance and benefits.

ConsDidn't really feel that I had anywhere to grow or move to after 3 years in the AE role. t

Advice to Senior ManagementShould implement a employee review system to notify employees where their future at the company is heading and how they are currently doing in their position.

Neutral

ProsThe people are truly great and there are many different personalities to learn from. Great training and growth programs put in place.

ConsA lot of shake up in staffing and communication of what is going on is quite low. Teams can be treated unfairly and refilling of positions takes a long time.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out a way to motivate and incentivize employees at all levels. The tone of the Agency is somber these days.

Some views expressed may be influenced by domestic and international economic downturn.

Senior CopyWriter (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsReputation and global recognition of company name. Leadership projects a positive and proactive vision. Some perks promote employee well being.

ConsLong hours and insane deadlines lead to anemic team. Account execs are often insensitive or ignorant to creative process, which leads to creative team jumping through hoops to meet promises made to clients. Immediate team has recently experienced too many shifts in management without exploring the reason such shifts have occurred or explaining to staff why management changes were necessary. Good performance not always rewarded; poor performance sometimes rewarded as if management is oblivious to day-to-day function of team members.

Advice to Senior ManagementProduction of quality creative is proportional to time allotted to deliver. Unexplained changes in staffing deplete employee morale; I suggest full and complete disclosure.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Still one of the best shops in NYC.

Copywriter (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsDecent clients, nice people without the excessive attitude, less of a boy's club than most agencies, not in midtown, and our great ECD, Gerry Graf.

ConsIt feels very slow paced. I've gotten assignments 6 months before they're due, so I feel like I miss the intensity and craziness I've felt at other shops.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow your stuff. (Most do, but a few really don't belong there.)

Decent, strong agencies.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsExcellent corporate culture, smart, pleasant, gracious co-workers, industry-standard or better compensation and benefits (negotiate hard up front), strong awareness of the industry climate (cf. drive to interactive capabilities), good office locations. Overall the Saatchi & Saatchi agencies are excellent choices to work at.

ConsThere is little independence for the individual Saatchi agencies and always a very strong sense of the presence and power of the holding company. Equipment and IT services are awful due to budgetary constraints imposed by the holding company -- you should stipulate an adequate notebook and smartphone coming in or expect to make do with subpar. However, because the agencies are increasingly highly engaged in the digital and interactive realms and doing very well at getting and staying current in those respects, I would expect that problem to lessen in the near future.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to each other across agencies early and often -- it's a strength of the network.

People are great but things are not well in the ad industry...

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe people are great and there's a genuine happiness to be there because everyone's so dynamic. Also, the company is supportive of people switching around departments vs. other agencies. There is a broad, impressive portfolio of clients to work for. Since it's advertising the culture is pretty laid-back and, for the most part, every one seems to know everyone else. I have been there for a couple of years which is considered weird for my level, but I have grown very comfortable there. There's a gym on the 19th floor that's pro-rated per salary. Finally, the location is one to be reckoned with since it's in the West Village.

ConsThere are many. Because we're a larger company, communication is not their strong point. For example, the company recently consolidated space which meant that many people lost their offices and moved to an open space or were downgraded from the office they currently had (i.e. moving from an office with a window to one that did not). It wasn't the fact that people had to move that was the problem, but the fact that this had been happening for two months and no one mentioned anything. Literally, employees got a slip of paper telling them that they were to be moved in two days. Junior people also tend to be paid VERY poorly in comparison with other agencies. As for reviews, they're very one-sided and not administered at a specific time every year. Finally, the company is slow regarding promotions and rotations.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would urge them to place a greater emphasis on overt communication. It is not fair for employees to obviously know something is going on, but not to recognize it - it is VERY frustrating to be kept in the dark when you are working your ass off for this company. Senior management should also recognize, at a junior level, the length of time it takes to execute things.

Potentially good idea but bad execution.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsYou get to "save the planet" (if you buy into their theory). You also get to work with some passionate people who truly believe in what they're doing.

ConsNo one knows what they're doing. It's total confusion. They're basically making it up as they go along. If you bring up issues with the company, they don't want to hear about solutions - they just want to cover it up and tell you you're wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop berating employees. Take some management training. Hire more people with experience who actually know what they're doing.

Use them like they use you.

Copywriter (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsCareer advancement once you leave.

ConsCheap and treat their employees accordingly.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward people for their success.

A place with many talented people

Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood place to learn, especially when you want to find out about the structures of an international company. You get the possibility to collaborate with internationally known clients.

ConsAt the end, the client decides about the final outcome of the work. But this might be the problem of most creative jobs.

Good place to learn

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsYou will be handling different accounts, you will be given bigger responsibilities than your role, you will have to challenge yourself continuously to prove your progress, you will learn a lot.

ConsLack of upper management, lack of attention to employees, really difficult to grow within the same office and to get a salary raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a guide rather than a boss.

Worked for Saatchi & Saatchi? Contribute to the Community!