Saatchi & Saatchi

Updated September 4, 2014
3.2

Saatchi & Saatchi Worldwide CEO Kevin J. Roberts
Kevin J. Roberts

Pros
  • You will rarely stay past 6pm and for the most part, can maintain a nice work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Good place to learn, especially when you want to find out about the structures of an international company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor upper management in corporate office in Midtown (in 9 reviews)

• Very little new business and lots of money spent on trying to get it (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Would have been sweet if I was a dude...

Former Employee - Interactive Producer  in  Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Interactive Producer in Torrance, CA

I worked at Saatchi & Saatchi

Pros

Worked at the LA office for a year...

Cool working space
    Free coffee machine
    Close to cheap lunch places

20wordscompleted.

Cons

Account Management runs things with little consideration to Interactive. Very little knowledge in the digital space combined with politics and overloaded process resulted in a poor work environment and constant chaos.

People in general are not great to work with, not friendly, and the tension is high. Don't expect a good work/life balance...you won't get it here.

There is absolutely no training in the "Saatchi Process" which is quite convoluted and difficult to navigate. Be prepared to be thrown to the wolves.

Projects were assigned with little regard/reasoning to a person's skillset and abilities. Very random...

You'll probably do great here if you're a guy and don't mind rubbing elbows with management. Your work quality doesn't matter...just schmooze your way to the top!!! It's the American Dream!!! If you're a chick, be ready to pad the guys' egos or else you'll be miserable here. It's a very "fend for yourself" place with little consideration to comradery and collaboration.

Beware...this place is turning into Crispin 2.0 (even with many former CP+B players), which means a lot of smoke blowing, little organization, and ideas created to win themselves awards (not satisfy the client or the consumer). If you're a female, beware...they think less of you.

Get rid of all the smoke-blowers, politics, and back stabbing here! Saatchi could be a really great place to work be the tension is really, really high. There are many other agencies that just, do it better....

overhyped! don't work here

Current Employee - Creative  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Creative in New York, NY

I have been working at Saatchi & Saatchi

Pros

nice view of either city or hudson river from office, high chance of own office with window, hip neighborhood, not a sweat shop like JWT.

Cons

Amoral and disgusting behavior rampant and rewarded, worse than normal. Gerry Graf has his clique of favorites- you're either in or you're out. Widely varying salary ranges for people at same level. You get what you negotiate, but men get paid more, like everywhere else. Good work often goes unnoticed. No such thing as performance reviews. There's a tendency to let clients and their gut-wrenchingly awful ideas dominate without even a fight because senior creatives give up easily.

It's a caste system. Senior management, the ones with the bloated salaries,often mention that money is tight. Junior & mid level creatives don't advance. Lots of mixed messages: We're broke, but we're having a $65,000 holiday party. We can't afford raises, but here's a list of people who just got promoted (and given raises). We have a hiring freeze, but here are 3 new full-time creative teams.

Net conclusion: same bull as everywhere else. Get some work for your book and get out.

Overall - good place to work.

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Saatchi & Saatchi

Pros

Great resume builder. Amazing people to work with. Learned a lot from the ground up. Good work life balance and benefits.

Cons

Didn't really feel that I had anywhere to grow or move to after 3 years in the AE role. t

Should implement a employee review system to notify employees where their future at the company is heading and how they are currently doing in their position.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Neutral

I have been working at Saatchi & Saatchi

Pros

The people are truly great and there are many different personalities to learn from. Great training and growth programs put in place.

Cons

A lot of shake up in staffing and communication of what is going on is quite low. Teams can be treated unfairly and refilling of positions takes a long time.

Figure out a way to motivate and incentivize employees at all levels. The tone of the Agency is somber these days.

Some views expressed may be influenced by domestic and international economic downturn.

Current Employee - Senior CopyWriter  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior CopyWriter in New York, NY

I have been working at Saatchi & Saatchi

Pros

Reputation and global recognition of company name. Leadership projects a positive and proactive vision. Some perks promote employee well being.

Cons

Long hours and insane deadlines lead to anemic team. Account execs are often insensitive or ignorant to creative process, which leads to creative team jumping through hoops to meet promises made to clients. Immediate team has recently experienced too many shifts in management without exploring the reason such shifts have occurred or explaining to staff why management changes were necessary. Good performance not always rewarded; poor performance sometimes rewarded as if management is oblivious to day-to-day function of team members.

Production of quality creative is proportional to time allotted to deliver. Unexplained changes in staffing deplete employee morale; I suggest full and complete disclosure.

Still one of the best shops in NYC.

Current Employee - Copywriter  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Copywriter in New York, NY

I have been working at Saatchi & Saatchi

Pros

Decent clients, nice people without the excessive attitude, less of a boy's club than most agencies, not in midtown, and our great ECD, Gerry Graf.

Cons

It feels very slow paced. I've gotten assignments 6 months before they're due, so I feel like I miss the intensity and craziness I've felt at other shops.

Know your stuff. (Most do, but a few really don't belong there.)

Decent, strong agencies.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Saatchi & Saatchi

Pros

Excellent corporate culture, smart, pleasant, gracious co-workers, industry-standard or better compensation and benefits (negotiate hard up front), strong awareness of the industry climate (cf. drive to interactive capabilities), good office locations. Overall the Saatchi & Saatchi agencies are excellent choices to work at.

Cons

There is little independence for the individual Saatchi agencies and always a very strong sense of the presence and power of the holding company. Equipment and IT services are awful due to budgetary constraints imposed by the holding company -- you should stipulate an adequate notebook and smartphone coming in or expect to make do with subpar. However, because the agencies are increasingly highly engaged in the digital and interactive realms and doing very well at getting and staying current in those respects, I would expect that problem to lessen in the near future.

Talk to each other across agencies early and often -- it's a strength of the network.

People are great but things are not well in the ad industry...

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Saatchi & Saatchi

Pros

The people are great and there's a genuine happiness to be there because everyone's so dynamic. Also, the company is supportive of people switching around departments vs. other agencies. There is a broad, impressive portfolio of clients to work for. Since it's advertising the culture is pretty laid-back and, for the most part, every one seems to know everyone else. I have been there for a couple of years which is considered weird for my level, but I have grown very comfortable there. There's a gym on the 19th floor that's pro-rated per salary. Finally, the location is one to be reckoned with since it's in the West Village.

Cons

There are many. Because we're a larger company, communication is not their strong point. For example, the company recently consolidated space which meant that many people lost their offices and moved to an open space or were downgraded from the office they currently had (i.e. moving from an office with a window to one that did not). It wasn't the fact that people had to move that was the problem, but the fact that this had been happening for two months and no one mentioned anything. Literally, employees got a slip of paper telling them that they were to be moved in two days. Junior people also tend to be paid VERY poorly in comparison with other agencies. As for reviews, they're very one-sided and not administered at a specific time every year. Finally, the company is slow regarding promotions and rotations.

I would urge them to place a greater emphasis on overt communication. It is not fair for employees to obviously know something is going on, but not to recognize it - it is VERY frustrating to be kept in the dark when you are working your ass off for this company. Senior management should also recognize, at a junior level, the length of time it takes to execute things.

Potentially good idea but bad execution.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Saatchi & Saatchi

Pros

You get to "save the planet" (if you buy into their theory). You also get to work with some passionate people who truly believe in what they're doing.

Cons

No one knows what they're doing. It's total confusion. They're basically making it up as they go along. If you bring up issues with the company, they don't want to hear about solutions - they just want to cover it up and tell you you're wrong.

Stop berating employees. Take some management training. Hire more people with experience who actually know what they're doing.

Use them like they use you.

Current Employee - Copywriter  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Copywriter in New York, NY

I have been working at Saatchi & Saatchi

Pros

Career advancement once you leave.

Cons

Cheap and treat their employees accordingly.

Reward people for their success.

Worked for Saatchi & Saatchi? Contribute to the Community!