Saba Software

Updated December 16, 2014
4.0

Saba Software President and CEO Shawn Farshchi
Shawn Farshchi

Pros
  • Work from home really gives you an option to manage personal and professional life better (in 27 reviews)

• Working from home and Flexible working hours (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a little tough but entirely up to the employee honestly (in 17 reviews)

• Highly unprofessional upper management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

The most fun I had in a job in a long time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Saba Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've had several jobs at Saba and my current job is one of the best I've had in my career. My contributions are impactful and they are recognized by management. Saba's engine in running strong and most departments are performing very well. Management is aligned behind the same goals and these goals are communicated clearly to the employees.

Saba Cloud is a very comprehensive Talent Management solution and by positioning it as Intelligent Talent Management and having TIM, The Intelligent Mentor, as one of the key differentiators, Saba is the best solution in the market. This is becoming obvious in the sales cycle where Saba's been very competitive and winning a lot deals.

The introduction of the new brand has been very successful and this is one of the reasons why we all feel very strong about the company and its future.

The Saba culture can be best described as open, direct and collaborative. Innovation and creativity are strongly encouraged. Saba is a place where everybody rolls up their sleeves to get things done.

Shawn is a no-nonsense and very approachable CEO. He's extremely focused on the customer and he has hired and promoted executives who share his vision. But don't try to BS him, he sees through that very quickly and it's the best way to see your projects come to a halt.

Saba is a great place for people if you are looking for a job where you can have an impact and leave your mark.

Benefits: free lunch, commuter benefits, medical (HMO, PPO), dental, vision, 401K, gym access, good vacation policy (Netflix model, "unlimited" PTO days as long as your boss approves)

Cons

One of the challenges internally is the bureaucracy when dealing with finance and legal. It's a painful process to get POs approved and invoices paid, but this is due to the stringent financial controls that have been put in place.

If you're not the right fit, it will be clear quickly. And that can be hard for some people to accept.

keep doing what you're doing.

Still love my job after all these years!

I have been working at Saba Software full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Saba attracts first rate people. I always been impressed and motivated by my colleagues. Management style is results focused, allowing for autonomy and flexibility. I've never worked in the same city as my direct manager but always experienced good direction, support and encouragement. Lastly working directly with customers on challenges related to people development is fascinating (at least for me).

Cons

Though working remotely is great in many ways, there are challenges. If you are not an HQ employee, you must put in some extra effort.

Work from home at least occasionally so you can relate better to the challenges faces by remote employees. Spend a week working from a satellite office (don't just go for a meeting). Leave RDWS now and then so you can relate to all the workforce.

Nov 21, 2014

Thank you for the thoughtful review, and your advice to management on "walking in your shoes" - it's powerful. Please reach out directly to me if there are ways we can engage with you during ... More

Saba Layoff Class of 2014

I worked at Saba Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is quite good, great US vacation policy, work from home office, good people.

Cons

Unreal/unfair layoffs. The company reorganizes and eliminates positions and lets people go. There are dozens of us this year just dropped from the employment rolls. One person let go at the same time I was had more than 10 years with the company. I also heard there were layoffs in September and November too. That creates an unease and people wonder when it might be them. So people leave.

Walk the talk. If people are the most valuable asset, then figure out how to use people who have worked at your company for a significant amount of time. Just to tell them one day that they aren't needed is really bad for morale. I could have done a few other jobs, I even would have taken a pay cut to keep my job, but I was offered no alternatives to being laid off. No one talked to me, no one even gave me any idea my job was in jeopardy. There are constantly job openings. It is inconsistent with the company's core premise and the theory behind TIM in the software.

Used to be good

I worked at Saba Software

Pros

The company used to be very good with policies and salary. Work from home is still good.

Cons

Old technologies, random layoffs and appreciations, cheap labour prioritized, no concern for employees, it doesn't matter if you are good or have been working in the company for long time you can be randomly laid off. Priority to save money, difficult to reach management, no career growth.

Being a Talent Company focus on the talent inside the company.

Bad place to work

I worked at Saba Software full-time

Pros

None ... Absolutely no Pros

Cons

Pathetic work environment .... 0 appreciation ... they just don't care...

Dec 8, 2014Sr HR Director

The situation described above is very vague and inconsistent with other views reflected here and within Saba.. We offer excellent benefits (i.e., medical, dental, vision, free lunch, tuition ... More

THE place to be if you are for a company that values its people and their contributions.

I have been working at Saba Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, product, culture and a bright future. This company has all of the cohesiveness of a small organization but is much bigger. Communication is open and honest, and the company is committed to its people and clients. For the first time in many years and I feel I have joined a company that values its people, their talent and their contributions.

The product is amazing. It is reflective of the new world of work... people centric , intuitive and flexible... something not found in the competitive products in the same market space.

This company will allow me to grow professionally and intellectually. Everyday I am excited to begin work and embrace the challenges of making a difference for the company, my colleagues and our clients.

I consider myself very lucky to have recently become a part of this company.

Cons

Nothing that I have not seen worse in other places. To be sure, certain processes could be a bit more efficient....

Keep taking us forward.... Keep improving the product...

Oct 24, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at Saba. I found one statement in particular to be very compelling " I feel I have joined a company that values its people, their talent and their ... More

One of the worst companies I've ever worked for, if not the worst!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Saba Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good location, decent benefits, free lunch

Cons

- Incompetent executive team (particularly those who've been with the company for over 2
      years)
    - Extremely toxic environment in the corporate office
    - Even though they claim to be a "talent management" company they don't know how to
      treat employees with respect and dignity (or simply don't care)
    - They dispose of good employees overnight for no apparent reason, so those who are not
      in the "inner circle" are constantly paranoid, thinking they'll be next.

Treat people with respect and dignity, especially if you claim to be a "talent management"company!

Nov 24, 2014

The situation described above is inconsistent with other views reflected here and within the company, and I hope is an isolated experience. Have you discussed or raised this with the management team ... More

Always have that resume ready to send...

Former Employee - Client Support
    Former Employee - Client Support

I worked at Saba Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

benefits are decent, vacation time is generous.

Cons

Ineffective management, few points of contact in company to answer your questions, offshore internal team are sluggish, little chance for promotion, company training via video modules, help documentation is unorganized, cheap labor is favored, client retention not a concern....i can go on and on. Beware, the company IT jobs are shipping overseas.

there is nothing that could be said here except karma will not look on you favorably

Nov 24, 2014

You were with Saba longer than 5 years, and we appreciate your contributions with the company. I hope that the skills and experience you developed here will be a good leverage point for your future ... More

Ballot Box Stuffing? Post your Employee Survey results... Less than 50% would stay if offered a comparable position.

Former Employee - Advanced Support Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Advanced Support Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Saba Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The SEC issue has been resolved so I hope things will be better.

Cons

The SEC issue cost more in expenses than the companies expenses over a period of 2 years which may have been the reason for lack of employee manpower over the last 2+ years. This lack of proper staffing caused major issues within the company.

If your own employee ratings are low then don't mention Glassdoor ratings in financial wires.

Nov 21, 2014

It's a tribute to the people of Saba that we have been so successful despite the challenges of the financial audit, which we have fully cooperated with. I do want to clarify the implication that the ... More

Saba is looking up and moving forward!

I have been working at Saba Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture has changed over the past 2 years. Internal groups are working together better to move the organization forward. Saba thinks outside the box with it's HR policies.
    Products are great. People are passionate and creative. Compensation is fair and many departments work remotely. Saba's tools enable employees to stay connected and work productively.

Cons

We still have room to improve, but I am confident we will get there. Saba is not for everyone. Pace is fast and workload is heavy. But seeing the end results makes it worth it.

Oct 24, 2014

Keep up the focus on working across the company to bring customers the best solutions - the hard work is paying off. It is "our time" at Saba. Thanks for being part of the Saba team and for taking ... More