Saba Software Reviews

Reset

Finance

Former Employee - Finance
    Former Employee - Finance

I worked at Saba Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health benefits were good (average industry standard ), some co-workers were very intelligent and friendly. Processes were manual and long. ERP system was efficient. HR team was awesome in assisting employees.

Cons

Morale was low, stock valuation isn't feasible compared to competitors in the space.

Advice to Management

Reorganization is key as well as innovation.

Jun 1, 2015 – HR Director EMEA

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. The company is always seeking ways to review and improve our capabilities to better support the business which allows us to continue to ... More

Take my word on this, it

Current Employee - Manager in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Remote, OR

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

First, Saba actually pays someone to review these comments to improve their ratings on this website, so they will likely attempt some damage control on this. Its a total farce. This is a terrible company to work for - just the worst. Stay away if you value your career path. They are constantly restructuring, so employees have absolutely no confidence that they will have a job six months out. They clearly value spreadsheets more than their employees. My manager had 7 - yes, SEVEN, changes in their reporting structure in the last couple of years. Some weeks, I spend more time knee deep in time keeping spreadsheets than actually helping my customers, just trying to save my job by quantifying my efforts - so that hopefully someone making decisions would see this and value my efforts. In the end, it didn't matter at all. Clearly Saba did NOT value my past 5+ years to the company, because I was let go for no reason whatsoever. This was even after exceptional reviews by peers, managers, and customers AND achieving my revenue. Take my word on this, it'll happen to you too.

Advice to Management

The positive reviews on this website are a total misrepresentation.

Sales and Marketing

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Saba Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome work place ,awesome manager lots of freedom and socializing .

Cons

Crazy hours, Lots of Face to Face with clients and phone time if you're not into communication or Love talking to new People every day this job might not work .

Advice to Management

Continue your great work and i really appreciate your awesome training and attention at work

Great company

Pros

The overall culture is great and drives employee retention and focus on their positions. It is really a great place to start your career.

Cons

You are limited in progression by a bad manager an can really be stuck in your role with out much opportunity to progress.

Advice to Management

The management need to get a grip of their financials and inferred the effect the uncertainty can give their employees.

May 18, 2015 – HR Director EMEA

We are sorry that you have left Saba but appreciate your feedback on our culture and engagement. We are all passionate about making Saba a great place to work, and with the recent acqusition by ... More

Fun place. Great leadership. Mediocre middle management. Nepotism.

Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Saba Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with Saba for a while now. I believe the current higher level management is passionate and driven to achieve greater success. In addition to that amazing work culture, flexible work hours and willingness to adapt make Saba a great place to work. Products are complex but they are innovative for the industry Saba operates in.

Cons

Unfortunately all the pros are counterbalanced by absolute lack of performance recognition. Promotions and performance are completely unrelated. Extremely mediocre middle management. Most non-DOers become managers. DOers see no growth.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work on products and strategy. But I'll also request you to start recognizing talent. Not friends and family.

Feb 20, 2015 – Sr HR Director

Thank you for your feedback. Our whole team at Saba is very passionate about our customers and products that are revolutionizing the talent management industry. We are so happy you are a part of ... More

We don't have work/life balance because our work is our life

Former Employee - Engineering in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Saba Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Turnover used to be very low compared to other companies in the software industry. Innovation is encouraged, and there are always interesting challenges. My manager was always very supportive and encouraging. I had one of the good managers who permitted real vacations -- he never expected me to work during vacations and once I had a vacation scheduled, he held that time inviolate. As a result, I was always happy to return to the office after vacation, refreshed and ready to meet our challenges with new ideas. All that began to change in 2011.

Cons

Saba pays under market rate while expecting U.S. employees to be available for meetings as early as 6am Pacific time and as late as 1am Pacific time. They are always in crunch time, leaving no space for super crunch time. Some managers refuse to approve vacation until a day or two before vacation is supposed to start, making it risky to purchase plane tickets and reserve hotel rooms. I was in a meeting in which a manager had just approved an employee's vacation the day before; the manager tried to get the employee to agree to not go on vacation after all just hours before his vacation would start.

Advice to Management

You aren't getting extra work out of people when you so frequently force or manipulate them to work so many hours all the time. You're getting a lot of mistakes and a lot of missed opportunities. People look like they're working, but they're really exhausted, making mistakes, and getting sick. Given that you pay roughly 15% less than the rest of the software industry in the same location, you need to compensate with something else, such as down time.

Feb 20, 2015 – Sr HR Director

Thank you for your feedback. While I'm disappointed you left, we would have welcomed a conversation as your views are definitely not in line with that of most employees at Saba who enjoy unlimited ... More

The most fun I had in a job in a long time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Saba Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've had several jobs at Saba and my current job is one of the best I've had in my career. My contributions are impactful and they are recognized by management. Saba's engine in running strong and most departments are performing very well. Management is aligned behind the same goals and these goals are communicated clearly to the employees. Saba Cloud is a very comprehensive Talent Management solution and by positioning it as Intelligent Talent Management and having TIM, The Intelligent Mentor, as one of the key differentiators, Saba is the best solution in the market. This is becoming obvious in the sales cycle where Saba's been very competitive and winning a lot deals. The introduction of the new brand has been very successful and this is one of the reasons why we all feel very strong about the company and its future. The Saba culture can be best described as open, direct and collaborative. Innovation and creativity are strongly encouraged. Saba is a place where everybody rolls up their sleeves to get things done. Shawn is a no-nonsense and very approachable CEO. He's extremely focused on the customer and he has hired and promoted executives who share his vision. But don't try to BS him, he sees through that very quickly and it's the best way to see your projects come to a halt. Saba is a great place for people if you are looking for a job where you can have an impact and leave your mark. Benefits: free lunch, commuter benefits, medical (HMO, PPO), dental, vision, 401K, gym access, good vacation policy (Netflix model, "unlimited" PTO days as long as your boss approves)

Cons

One of the challenges internally is the bureaucracy when dealing with finance and legal. It's a painful process to get POs approved and invoices paid, but this is due to the stringent financial controls that have been put in place. If you're not the right fit, it will be clear quickly. And that can be hard for some people to accept.

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing.

Jan 21, 2015 – Sr HR Director

Thank you for your comprehensive overview and insights. We value your feedback. On our PO process, it is fairly straight forward and we follow SOX guidelines and compliance.

Saba Layoff Class of 2014

I worked at Saba Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is quite good, great US vacation policy, work from home office, good people.

Cons

Unreal/unfair layoffs. The company reorganizes and eliminates positions and lets people go. There are dozens of us this year just dropped from the employment rolls. One person let go at the same time I was had more than 10 years with the company. I also heard there were layoffs in September and November too. That creates an unease and people wonder when it might be them. So people leave.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk. If people are the most valuable asset, then figure out how to use people who have worked at your company for a significant amount of time. Just to tell them one day that they aren't needed is really bad for morale. I could have done a few other jobs, I even would have taken a pay cut to keep my job, but I was offered no alternatives to being laid off. No one talked to me, no one even gave me any idea my job was in jeopardy. There are constantly job openings. It is inconsistent with the company's core premise and the theory behind TIM in the software.

Jan 22, 2015 – Sr HR Director

As we continue to evolve the business we unfortunately have had some re-orgs which resulted in some roles being made redundant. We explore all internal options before making such a difficult decision ... More

Used to be good

Pros

The company used to be very good with policies and salary. Work from home is still good.

Cons

Old technologies, random layoffs and appreciations, cheap labour prioritized, no concern for employees, it doesn't matter if you are good or have been working in the company for long time you can be randomly laid off. Priority to save money, difficult to reach management, no career growth.

Advice to Management

Being a Talent Company focus on the talent inside the company.

Jan 22, 2015 – Sr HR Director

While we appreciate transparent feedback, your views are a bit contradictory of those others have shared. We continue to evolve our products and services offering best in class products. We offer ... More

Still love my job after all these years!

I have been working at Saba Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Saba attracts first rate people. I always been impressed and motivated by my colleagues. Management style is results focused, allowing for autonomy and flexibility. I've never worked in the same city as my direct manager but always experienced good direction, support and encouragement. Lastly working directly with customers on challenges related to people development is fascinating (at least for me).

Cons

Though working remotely is great in many ways, there are challenges. If you are not an HQ employee, you must put in some extra effort.

Advice to Management

Work from home at least occasionally so you can relate better to the challenges faces by remote employees. Spend a week working from a satellite office (don't just go for a meeting). Leave RDWS now and then so you can relate to all the workforce.

Nov 21, 2014

Thank you for the thoughtful review, and your advice to management on "walking in your shoes" - it's powerful. Please reach out directly to me if there are ways we can engage with you during ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed