Sabon Reviews

Reset
2.6
CEO

1. Sabon

Pros

Good work environment, fellow employees are cool, good products, ability to work as little or as much as you want

Cons

Confusing management, not great pay, cleaning the sinks when you close is painstaking labor

They spy on you

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sabon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of down time. I was alone with my thoughts for hours and hours.

Cons

I worked there for 11 months and it was the most annoying job I have ever had. For starters I never received a raise after being promised I would be given one for 4 months then I stopped asking. At Christmas time I was working over time and my hours were adjusted come payroll so the owner did not have to pay me overtime which is 100% illegal. I've done some weird jobs in the past but this place is just so stupid. Things that should never happen in the work place become the norm. Do not expect a pay raise unless you constantly speak to the owner and beg him for it. The owner spies on you with the cameras every hour. If he see's you not being productive or on your phone he will call the store and scold you. The shifts are so boring and the customers are awful. If you work at the 108 location have fun not going to the bathroom or being allowed a break for 6 hours... Oh yeah you will work OPEN to CLOSE without a break. It seems great the first month but then you start to realize nothing works and the owner does not care about your needs at all.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees

3. Nice people, horribly run company

I worked at Sabon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Fun coworkers. * Casual work environment. * 40% discount. * Most of the customers are really cool. * Allowed to schedule your own break. * Flexible scheduling.

Cons

* Pay is awful. $9/hr is not an acceptable wage for a place that hires educated people to not only sell, but are also expected to have vast product knowledge AND do somewhat intensive labor around the store. This is a luxury store in a company that makes plenty of money. L'Occitane, Lush, and Kiehl's pay at least $11/hr. There is no excuse for this kind of pay. * There is no communication. Managers will not tell you if they want things done a certain way. In fact, they will not give you any feedback at all. How is a new employees expected to learn, if not given proper training? * So much dishonesty to both customers and employees. A giant sign will be placed in the store front implying a sale . Customers will come in after seeing the sign, only to realize only one item is on sale. Also, managers will straight up lie to the employees and tell them they're doing a great job, only to fire them the next day without warning or giving them any previous feedback on areas they need to improve upon. * Stores are over-staffed. Upon hiring, you are told that full-time means 5-6 days a week, and part-time means 3-4 days. Due to new people constantly being hired, full-time gets 3-4 days , and part-time gets only 1-2. * What kind of soap store stays open until 10 pm? If you want your employees to perform at their best, at least give them some time to get some sleep before you force them to open at 8 am the next day. * So much scapegoating! It is not the sales associates' fault that you are out of product, or that business is slow, or that they somehow didn't find a shower oil hidden in the back of an 8-foot tall shelf. * Clear favoritism. I have seen people who show up late to shifts and come in hungover get promoted, while others who always show up on time and make great sales get either demoted or fired because they "don't fit in with the company". * There are lawsuits waiting to happen all over the store. Shelves in the stockroom are impossibly high for bringing down heavy items, the shelves where they keep the soap in the store are too high for the rickety step ladder they provide you with, and I'm pretty sure someone is going to bruise a rib or pull their arm out of their socket while trying to clean that sink.

Advice to Management

Learn how to run a business. Also, check out current minimum wage/ labor laws.

5. management sucked

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Sabon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful products, and great message.

Cons

The manager made me feel horrible, the enviroment she created was horrible, and she made me feel scared to be around her. I don't k kw how she got the job as a manager

Advice to Management

Please fire Chanisa, she kept pushing paganism on me, touched another employees breasts, was very unprofessional, and rude. Her language was vulgar, and she does not know how to run a store.

6. Solid job, several catches

I have been working at Sabon part-time

Cons

Great Products. Bad supply of products to meet customer demand.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sabon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxing environment for the customers. Beautifully decorated store's. High end body, facial care and home products.

Cons

Long hours 9-11 hrs 42-50+, no break coverage available due to payroll. Low pay for staff min.wage and not much better for experienced applicants, regarding expectations to meet the demands of product knowledge, following strict elevator pitch that is to be short and fast and robotic style. The illegally long hours with no break are frustrating. You are made to feel you are being watched. No trust. Erratic behavior of good sales bad sales. One minute you are great, next you are not meeting expectations. Gender and racial profiling of staff. Never have enough back stock to meet customers demands. Lack of supplies you should not, company shopping bags, tape,receipt rolls, business cards, gift box supplies....etc. Terribly run company for such a successfully based product brand.

Advice to Management

Get back to the business basics. Supply and demand...get what the customers demands are. Bring new and exciting products to the walk in store, bring customers back in the store and away from the online competition to drive traffic. Customers will never come back if they feel unimportant, by you not supporting their demands for having their products, being "out" consistently makes them feel this way. Losing one customer is to many. One can become 3,5,10 etc. Your products are not going to drive sales if you are out of them more than you have them. Excuses for that only go so far, then they will seek products elsewhere. Traffic is down because of the way you supply the stores....Customers are over it. Disappointed with a waiting list that's months old. Tired of never having their products. We are not doing them a favor getting them a product. We shouldn't have to make them wait months. Get new customers, get them excited about the brand.....then they come back and we didn't have what they want. Unacceptable. Kills moral. Deflated sales. Embarrassed staff. Deadly combination to any business. Look at the Big Picture.

8. Not enough Pay

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Sabon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

fun atmosphere, very easy to sell, comfortable environment, great products

Cons

little pay, less then $2,000 a month as a store manager, dirty stock room that we have to use as a breakroom lots of mice and roaches cheap company

Advice to Management

get a rule book instead of having different people hirer up tell us different things, more professionalism needed . if you pay you're employees more they will actually care more. listen to the managers corporate !

9. Great products, horrible management!

I worked at Sabon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Products are amazing, get to take home free items each month and free samples, meeting people, 40% discount

Cons

Pressure to sales, pressure to know every ingredient in each product, managers are two faced, company doesn't value employees, high turn over rate, a lot of work little compensation

Advice to Management

Start valuing your employees especially the good ones.

10. A great company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Sabon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best culture and friendly relations ever

Cons

wish that they will open new stores around US for more opportunists

11. Okay if you don't have bills to pay

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Sabon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free product every month, discount, learn upselling tricks. Great if you love people

Cons

Not enough hours. Little room to move up, soap sampling does nothing. Some do more than other and get same pay.

Advice to Management

Offer raises for employees who work harder than others. This is not just about selling but those who also keep the store clean. Don't play favorites to people who can only sell

RSS Feed </> Embed