Sabon Reviews

The customer ALWAYS comes first

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Sabon full-time for less than a year

Pros

The discount is why most employees work there, it's at 40%, and you receive free products monthly.

Cons

You can try your hardest to reach the store goal and not make it (which is pretty typical in any retail job) but the managers will come at you like it's personal. The management is also cliquey

Manager

I worked at Sabon

Pros

Discount
    Ability to cultivate your own team
    Pay

Cons

You're never going to get your voice heard. Not even when they need to work at top efficiency on order to maximum THEIR profits.

Care about your employees.
    The CEO needs to get his head out of his behind.

Lies, Targets, and Pressure.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Sabon part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are great to work with. Full of college kids and artists.
    white list (free stuff every month--it's normally stuff that isn't selling or is over stocked.)

Cons

The pressure. So much pressure from HQ to your manager, which trickles down to you. They need to learn that adding that pressure puts a lot of stress on the sales people. I'm sure the customers and tell.

The lie about a lot of their products. None of it is all natural or organic.

They literally have 20yr old men and women running their store.

Get rid of the unrealistic "targets" and focus on the health and well-being of your employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good starting job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Sabon part-time for more than a year

Pros

discounts & flexible scheduling

Cons

unreal daily goals, headquarters sucks unless you suck up to them..

Choose managers carefully and listen to sales associates complains, they're complaining for a reason.

Unethical and stressful. Very desperate for sales and with some pathetic tactics.

I have been working at Sabon

Pros

1) Your coworkers (not managers) will likely be pretty interesting and kind people who are trying just as hard as you are to engage and educate customers. You'll make a few friends and generally enjoy being around them.
    2) You can sometimes take home defective products and you get a monthly gift, which is usually the stuff that is overstocked and isn't selling well.
    3) 40% discount, but why would you want to give them back the money you just earned by working for them? That's a scam.
    4) Your hands will be soft, and you'll smell nice on the way home. The store is pretty, too.

Cons

1) VERY unethical towards customers:

a) You are expected to lie to customers all of the time. Dead Sea salt scrubs are marketed as good for psoriasis, eczema, and acne, but as soon as you meet someone who actually suffers from the former two, you back off and say that they should stick to something gentle or check out the organic line.
    b) Products might not be tested on animals, but that doesn't mean the ingredients haven't been.
    c) We lie to customers and send their receipts to their emails so they get a free gift because we are "going green" but the receipt gets printed anyway. Also we waste a LOT of water and paper towels every day washing people's hands. It's disgusting. We also keep our doors open in the summer and winter so we waste a ton of energy.

2) awful ethics regarding employees:

a) doors open with the heat on in the winter means we can see our breath indoors and have to work in many layers and wear gloves inside. it's hard to talk to customers when your teeth are chattering.
    b) managers micro-manage. you are often interrupted and told that the store is not making big enough sales and managers breathe down your neck and make you too uncomfortable to be the best salesperson you can be. The best sales I have made (upwards of $600) have been in the absence of a manager.
    c) corporate makes your managers stressed out, so they end up pressuring you constantly even though there is nothing to be done.
    d) soap sampling is pathetic
    e) you get a 30 minute break for a 8-9 hour day
    f) you are treated like a machine by employers
    g) upper management can be extremely patronising when they visit your store
    h) no commission even though you are expected to shove products in people's baskets like your life is on the line
    i) customers can be very disrespectful, especially because of the sales tactics we are pressured to use. No customer/associate relationship is developed.
    j) ******IMPORTANT*****
    it is very hard to reach target, it's just a tactic used by corporate to get you to make more sales without ever reaching the incentive (why would they pay you a bonus of $300 if they can get away with putting it just out of your reach? they get away with not even paying commission because of this bonus. The only store that makes the target is Prince street.).
    k) even if you work part time, you are expected to have no social life. managers have told me to "never make plans". I work full time and don't really feel like I have a life right now. I'm just working.

I was pretty fine with this job for the first few weeks I was working here. Today, I wore an apron over multiple layers of sweaters and a poofy winter coat to stay warm at work and an assistant manager told me that I looked pregnant. I have an eating disorder and this made me have a panic attack at work. Even if I didn't have a problem, management should know better than to joke about something like that.

This job is very stressful for $9.00/hr

A) treat your employees like human beings. value us. we are the blood that courses through this company's veins. WE are the ones making the money for you.
    B) how about pay me on time? I haven't gotten a paycheck in 3 weeks.
    C) hire better graphic designers. JPEG artefacts and horrible aesthetics on all posters and promotional items. your sales associates are all fresh out of art school and it's painful to be surrounded by sub-par work.
    D) YOUR STORES NEED HEATING. CUSTOMERS LEAVE THE STORE BECAUSE THEY ARE FREEZING.
    E) stop lying about your products to valued customers
    F) train managers properly
    G) reevaluate your sales tactics
    H) Stop breathing down our necks in front of customers. You make us look very desperate.

I met great people, but was treated unfairly.

I worked at Sabon full-time for less than a year

Pros

People, free soap samples, pay

Cons

greedy, unethical, slightly racist, and at times unprofessional

Be more compassionate to your employees. If they are sick, don't berate them. Don't hire someone to do one job, but then stick them in one place.

Great learning experience, lots to do and lots of opportunities for growth in the company!

Current Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Sabon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun products and great coworkers. Fun vibe in the stores, and enthusiastic (usually) customers! Great design and beautiful environment. Free products sometimes, free testers of anything, great employee discount, and lots of knowledge! Great bonus when sales target is reached. Nice teamwork rather than competitive commission based work.

Cons

Relatively low pay for hourly workers, sometimes very late hours, office is not always up front with the employees/managers about some issues. Holidays are stressful.

Seriously consider paying more, as it is a deterrent to some better potential employees.

Underpaying, greedy, overworking, questionable ethics

I have been working at Sabon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun job and a great way to meet different people from all over the world. Monthly gift ($40 value max.) and 40% off merchandise.

Cons

-Very low pay.
    -full time employees do not collect benefits
    -Stressful sales job without the sales benefits (eg; commissions, incentives, rewards)
    -wear too many hats
    -absurdly hard to reach goals
    -illegal hour-break ratio
    -if goal is reached too often it is set higher

Care more about your employees and less about your managers. Higher pay. Companies comparable to yours (Loccitane, The Art of Shaving, Sephora) are paying upwards of 50% more than you are paying. If you want us to sell your products like we are sales people then treat us like sales people and give us commissions. Otherwise we will simply act as "customer service".

Poor pay for work, ethics questions....only a good fit for someone who doesn't have rent to pay.

I have been working at Sabon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome coworkers, free products every once in a while, soft soft hands, monthly bonus if target is reached, easily promoted (got a dollar raise in two and a half months), a lot to learn, pretty fun

Cons

No commission (but you have to work as if you are on commission), target is unrealistic and hard to reach, company raises target if you hit it too often, your monthly "free gift" is limited by the least popular or overstocked products, poor pay while a LOT of work. Scheduling is inconsistent and its really hard to work full time while having a life.

Also, WHAT in the world is with the parabens and chemicals. We are told to say that they are "all natural" but many of them are not. Now there is a rumor going around that some of the lesser known lines are animal tested as well.

Why aren't you giving us commission? It would be important to show that our sales really MEAN something. All of our customers believe we are commission...

Also, your managers need to be a lot more professional. My manager refuses to complete basic tasks (such as cleaning the sink at night, soap sampling) and whoever closes with her has to do her part as well! Just because she is a manager does not mean we have to compensate for what she doesn't like doing in the store.

Would still recommend the job merely because its a fun little job if you are working part time.

Unfair and Corrupt

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Sabon full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Monthly gift
    -Beautiful/ Fun enviroment to work in
    - Amazing customers

Cons

-Unfair promotions/ Promotes friends rather than those who deserve it
    -Biased management and corporate office
    -Does not recognize hard-workers or potential
    - Very little pay for a lot of work even as an Assistant Manager
    - Unlawful break and work hour ethics
    - Corporate bullies empolyees into doing things

Stop promoting friend and promote people who really deserve it and work hard.
    Stop putting people down when they disagree with certain ways the company is wrong.
    Realize when corporate is being unfair
    STOP OVERWORKING AND DENYING LAWFUL BREAKS!

Worked for Sabon? Contribute to the Community!