Sabre

Sabre Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Sabre President and CEO Tom Klein

Tom Klein

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance; groups with good knowledge and great cultures"
    in 53 reviews
  • "Good place to work - many employees are able to work from home"
    in 45 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very little regard for work-life balance overall and compensation is below market"
    in 19 reviews
  • "This provides little to no job security and adds to a stressful work environment"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

work at sabre

Principal (Former Employee)
    Southlake, TX

Prosgood company with competitive advantage.

Constoo much of hierarchy. Top management is disconnected with employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aggressive in growth. Identity home grown talent rather than expecting god in external talent. Cut down salary structure and increase bonus. Discourage work from home.

Amazing people, clueless and politically driven management. But don't screw yourself over by working here.

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Southlake, TX

ProsThe people at Sabre are amazing. Extremely polite, and wonderful people who each have their own story. People at Sabre help each other to grow and learn.The environment is beautiful and the cafeteria has pretty decent food.

ConsManagers who don't protect their employees, SVP's who are yes men, employees viewed expendable. The recycling bins, and the lack of privacy at work. Sometimes you just don't want to be bothered. Sabre was an amazing place to work when Sam Gilliland was President/CEO. I think that it says a lot when he left. He knew that 10% of the work force would be let go for their new "vision." Sabre doesn't need a new vision, it just need to utilize the number of tools it already has. Do we use any of our acquisitions? How about all these dashboards that no one uses, and we waste time building? Travelocity could have been saved, if we spent more time trying to fix things, instead of trying to fix the surface problems. With a marketing campaign as strong as Travelocity has, why would you throw that brand away? Unnecessary long hours. This isn't Deloitte, this is a tech company. What is the need to work ridiculous hours? To prove you value your work life more than a real life? They promise a work life balance, but really it is more of a work work and no life balance. WFH days are of the devil at Sabre. If you WFH, it is assumed that you don't do work, even though you have emails and actual work completed to prove that you are working. Just because your manager doesn't wfh doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to. Why are only some policies upheld in certain departments? Why does Finance follow its own policies. Shouldn't policies be company wide?

SVP's who just nod their head yes. It is like a bobble head that doesn't stop. Why not double check with your team to see if they have the capacity to complete the work? How about not forgetting the work that you assign? Completed projects and when presented having an SVP wondering what it is for. Remember, you asked me for this? You have SVP's who sugar coat. Sugar coat a massive lay off by saying that this is for the good of the company. It is all about the vision that they are trying to create. For the betterment of the entity as a whole. Lying to people, instead of working with them and being honest. Did you that honesty goes a lot better with then false hope?

Then you have the managers who were at one time your colleague but now your boss. Which is fine. But then they let their personal problems hinder their perspective and take it out on their employees. And they make your job a living hell for as long as they can, because their personal life sucks. Instead of screwing over your employees, why don't you help them out? Teach them ropes, understand what they are interested in? Stop being fake, pretending to be this happy go lucky individual. Why don't you be honest?

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest. Is it so hard? So you heard that there would be lay offs? Well tell us. We would appreciate you more for it. This so called vision, is nothing but fluffy way of saying, "Hey, we screwed up real bad, but lets put some big words on a poster and increase the lack of company morale!" Sabre is screwed, especially with the type of people running it today. Everything is politically driven, to see who can gain the most. It is cut throat, and unnecessary.

Overall great place to work

Director (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsCareer development; great team; industry leading technology

ConsNeed to be flexible as there are constant reorgs

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develop middle managment leadership skills and cross unit team work

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great while it lasted

Database Developer (Former Employee)

ProsI was able to work from home, I worked with developers all over the world, and had some fun and challenging projects. My manager allowed me to have flexibility and I was empowered.

ConsMy manager was always busy, not concerned with my career path, or grooming anyone for the next level. Even upper level managers are doing real hands on work in development, because everyone is overbooked. Layoffs are always looming.

Lost Heart and Soul

Principal (Current Employee)
    Southlake, TX

ProsThe airline industry is a fascinating place to be; exciting and always changing.

ConsSome of the new execs are rigid in their work/life balance policies. Layoffs have started again. Not enough space in the offices, not enough parking. Airline knowledge is not valued like it used to be. Too much focus on marketing and less on product quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to basics - recognize and reward talent that have stuck with the company through thick and thin and have the airline knowledge.

Life at Sabre

QA Tester (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsGood company to work for with flexible hours

ConsCompany is restructuring, heads will roll. Jobs not safe.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice

Great company culture

Head Product Marketing (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat people, fast-paced teams, super industry

ConsAs with all large companies, movement can be slower than desired

Not worst ever, but would not recommend

ProsGreat co workers
    Work sometimes fulfilling

ConsSenior leadership almost delusional
    Company has hired high level executives from so many different companies and none of them are really any good

Advice to Senior ManagementThe past is gone. There are competitors in the marketplace and they will come after you. Repeating what you've accomplished in the past will only make investors happy for a little while.

Unappreciated individuals in rah, rah corporate speak environemnt

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Boca Raton, FL

ProsRemote work doing software development, the type of work I love to do.

ConsSomewhat hostile environment. More interest in beating chests and proving you know something in place of building each other up.

Advice to Senior ManagementI've made less money last year since being acquired by Sabre.

Loved the people, not the senior management.

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)
    DFW, TX

ProsGreat culture where true team work is at play between the worker bees.

ConsFrequent shifts in upper management, thus many changes in direction. Numerous reductions in force have taken place over the last 10 years.

Worked for Sabre? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sabre reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sabre CEO Tom Klein. All 332 reviews posted anonymously by Sabre employees.