Sabre

Sabre Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Sabre President and CEO Tom Klein

Tom Klein

Pros
  • Work/life balance; groups with good knowledge and great cultures(in 54 reviews)

• Good place to work - many employees are able to work from home(in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little regard for work-life balance overall and compensation is below market(in 22 reviews)

• This provides little to no job security and adds to a stressful work environment(in 6 reviews)

154 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Nice place to work...lots of very intelligent engineers to work with and learn with

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) Southlake, TX

ProsComputer engineering processes are in-place and they work quite well. I'm talking about peer code reviews and quality assurance. The group I was lucky enough to work in had an excellent set of processes that every single 'project' or 'upgrade' went through.

ConsPhysical work space (Southlake, TX...their world-wide headquarters) was quite confining and not conducive to good or high levels of concentration. People always interrupting you, talking to your neighbors...just generally not what I'd call an easy place to concentrate in.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire and fire so rampantly (and religiously). You are losing a lot of good people by doing what you do when it comes to the constant threat of new layoffs.

Good

Contributor Business Analyst (Current Employee) Southlake, TX

ProsGood career growth. Travel options.

ConsFrequent Layoffs. Career restricted to travel industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo frequent layoffs

Good company, great people!!

Technology Director (Former Employee) Southlake, TX

ProsSabre provided me an excellent opportunity to grow and learn early in my career. The majority of my bosses enabled me to excel in learning technology and commercial agreements. I also had a couple very good mentors and guided me to become very successful. There are four business units in Sabre and I spent my entire career on the travel agency side.

ConsThe "traditional" travel agency side of the business has been shrinking for years, but online agencies have filled back filled the void. From Sep 2013 through Mar 2014, Sabre laid off more than 1000 employees (likely closer to 1500) as they prepared to go public. When Sabre was a public company from 1999-2007, they had annual layoffs. In addition, over half of the executive team is new in the last 12 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementPersonal and profession growth seems to be limited. Layoffs and instability in career path reduces employee productivity and drives stress in the workforce.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mostly good

Solutions Manager (Current Employee) Southlake, TX

ProsFlexibility, good pay, lots of opportunities to move to around to different jobs at a lateral level, fairly low benefit costs compared to some other companies

ConsUpward promotion is not always easy unless you have a senior level sponsor, overly complex organization structure with too much matrixing, need more clear definition of roles / responsibilities to hold people accountable

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within as opposed to hiring externally for more senior positions

Ups and Downs

Product Manager (Current Employee) Southlake, TX

ProsThe work environment and people make for a great place to work. The aviation industry is very interesting and have given me the opportunity to travel to very cool places and always have challenging problems to solve. It depends on the position but I have extremely great flexibility and work life balance and most every coworker that I know would agree. People have been hard on the new CEO, Tom Klein. My opinion is that he is a pretty standard executive and most people I know don't like him because he has a very different style of management than the last CEO, not necessarily worse.

ConsThere is very limited visibility into what upper management is thinking. Proposals are sent "up stairs" but you never seem to get an answer or even get a feel for how they took the proposal. Recent change (and moves to get there)to being a public company has seemed to hurt employee morale more than help

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease improve visibility into decisions

Lots of opportunity but poor culture and lots of politics

Software Principal (Current Employee) Southlake, TX

ProsFun/interesting work if you can find your niche area - and it's a big enough place with enough variety that you should be able to. Smart people, flexible hours, casual work environment, diverse organization, many travel opportunities. It's big enough you can usually find your niche, though it may take a while. Management is trying to move in the right direction. Great vacation package - love that they combine vacation and sick days into a general paid-time-off.

ConsCulture - fear of failure, afraid to be transparent to leaders - people do what the new CTO says instead of telling why what she's doing is driving bad behaviors in the organization. Layoffs have made this even worse as people just say what their leaders want to hear. Siloed organization - incredible amount of local optimization/waste between marketing, dev, test, ops. Way too deep of management layers - leaders seem to think things get done through more management and meetings instead of focusing on building software better. Lots of politics to fight through. Vast majority of managers here manage "up" - not much thought on their people other than getting them to deliver. Although attempting to move in the right direction, management is pretty clueless on how to get there now. There's a huge focus now to measure everything but by the time the measures are put in place, they end up providing no value.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a massive culture change if you really want to transform the organization. The layers beneath you mostly tell you what they think you want to hear - they're afraid to tell you no. Leads to much many poor and costly decisions. Break up the siloes! Focus on the people that are delivering software instead of managers who are trying to impress you and build their empires.

Great opportunity to learn the aviation technology industry

Principal Product (Former Employee) Southlake, TX

ProsThere are many avenues in which to continue to learn the aviation technology industry

ConsWork-life balance and infighting amongst departments

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that people are the key success factor and thus constant Reduction in Force events should be avoided as often it is not the knowledge that is kept, but instead the earned salary that is the first target to reduce when considering RIFs.

Trying to fit into the culture has been difficult, navigating through archaic processes and practices.

Quality Assurance (Current Employee) Southlake, TX

ProsFlexibility and location are a plus. The company cares about the community and gives back. There are some good people here that make it worth coming back every day.

ConsRecent changes at highest levels have thrown development teams into chaos with no guidance or direction. The company went public in April which seems to be the reason for all the layoffs and shuffling at the first of the year, but little positive future prospects. It doesn't even appear the company knows what it wants to invest in for development - this has always been the case with pet projects often winning out. Needless to say we are not leading edge but a follower in the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate, tell us what is going on. Where are we headed?

Used to be a good work environment, not any more

Software Development Contributor (Current Employee) Southlake, TX

ProsSalary and vacation are good, remote work allowed, flexible

ConsSenior management changes led to a stressful work environment, lot of people are laid off every year so there is no job security. Not all departments in Technology get to work on a latest technology stack.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease learn to motivate your employees rather than stressing them out, learn to keep a fun, peaceful and collaborative work environment

Great Company ; Great Culture

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Southlake, TX

ProsIn general, good compensation, challenging work, above average PTO bank and benefits, great telecommuting policy, flexible work hours; company also offers in-house training and seminars; allows time for employees to donate their time to charity; great diversity

ConsSome areas complain of being overworked; professional external training and development seems to be lacking; maybe top heavy; HR lacks connectivity to employees; Many employees who have been there a while may have become complacent;

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople don't care how much you know until they know how much you care.

Management needs to communicate down the importance of the employee so employees care more about the business. This is where HR comes in.

Worked for Sabre? Contribute to the Community!