Sabre

Updated December 14, 2014
3.3

Sabre President and CEO Tom Klein
Tom Klein

Pros
  • Managers don't pressurize employees unnecessarily; they respect your work-life balance (in 62 reviews)

• Flexible work from home policy but hear that it might be changing soon (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little regard for work-life balance overall and compensation is below market (in 27 reviews)

• Work from home depends on manager and the team you are working in (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Not worth the hassle

Former Employee - Software Developer in Vienna (Austria)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Vienna (Austria)

I worked at Sabre full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lot of free time and you can manage your work time freely, you'll be able to visit the local airport dispatching system and hangars every now and then.
    Nice atmosphere and colleages.

Cons

Uses mostly outdated tools and software (VisualStudio 6.0 in 2015, with empty promises of switching away from it) and reimplements standards as in-house library, with the results you may expect... and now who wrote them either left or is a manager or an architect

Priorities are inverted, prefer to make a good product and who's making it happy with what are they doing than just assigning task to please upper management layers, or people won't stop leaving.

No career Growth

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work timings & Work from home option

Cons

check thelayoff.com for sabre-holdings read the history of firing employees, also no ethics followed when firing employee they don't get chance to say Bye, even treated badly. (08-Jan-14) one of the mass layoff around 60 in a day.
    Manager driven culture no policies, favoritism.
    No Transparency or Openness , to many hidden parameters.
    Bangalore Center has created few custom designation and call them as desk title, and in letter they give previous title.
    every 3 years top mgmt changes and restructuring happens .....
    no even pay structure for same level.
    more manager per employee ratio

Consider providing shares to all employees & not only for key people.
    allow 360 degree review for appraisal and not just accept what manager puts in the tool.
    no skip level meetings.

COMPANY WORK CULTURE

Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Banga (India)
    Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Banga (India)

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

WFH facility...... but manager are too irritating and they have monopoly .......

Cons

Never ever join Getthere , Spoil your life and inner piece . you will have to follow manager and cannot raise your void , they exploit tool much .............

kindly grow up learn from ur mistake , you cannot dominate resources ...give flexibility ...Job is not a game ....people life dependent on this ...end of the all ar human being and stop acting like in human .

I was never allowed to do the job I was hired for and was never allowed to get training to better myself.

Current Employee - Software Configuration Manager in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Software Configuration Manager in DFW, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The only two pro's for me are the paycheck and due to my seniority my vacation time.

Cons

My manager is only interested in pleasing his boss, if we don't meet his bosses standards then we don't meet his. And since Sabre has laid off a lot of people worldwide in the past year he uses that to try to get us to work. I also was never allowed to get training in the programming skills that I was hired to do and since then I have been unable to get training in the skills that I am expected to use daily.

Hire managers that care about their employees and stop worrying about hiring the best people in the business and worry about empowering the people that already work there.

Worst place to work at for senior employees

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Sabre full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dont know if this should be called a pro but work hours are really messed (called flexible working hours).
    One person comes at 8 AM other at 12 PM and other at 6 AM.

Cons

Outdated technologies, messed up work culture, unorganized work environment, absolutely no role for senior employees, layoffs (became worst from 2013 and is still going on), no future once you work in travel domain (not many companies to move to)

Laid off from Sabre and still unemployed.

Former Employee - Doesn't Matter in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Doesn't Matter in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employees were allowed to work from home at times except Fridays although some teams were allowed to do that which didn't make sense.

Cons

Management and above didn't care about the employees and played favorites. Utilize all employees on a team so that everyone can be engaged and not just the favorites.

Address conflicts on the team to avoid a hostile environment instead of hoping it will just go away. Act like you care about your employees and their career path/growth.

Decent

Former Employee - Software Developer, Contributor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer, Contributor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sabre full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Better benefits than the company I worked fro before Sabre took over.

Cons

Sabre is shiftless and they don't care about their employees. The are always concerned about the bottom line. They will cut your throat to save their own neck.

N/A

Amazing people, clueless and politically driven management. But don't screw yourself over by working here.

Former Employee - Analyst in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people at Sabre are amazing. Extremely polite, and wonderful people who each have their own story. People at Sabre help each other to grow and learn.The environment is beautiful and the cafeteria has pretty decent food.

Cons

Managers who don't protect their employees, SVP's who are yes men, employees viewed expendable. The recycling bins, and the lack of privacy at work. Sometimes you just don't want to be bothered. Sabre was an amazing place to work when Sam Gilliland was President/CEO. I think that it says a lot when he left. He knew that 10% of the work force would be let go for their new "vision." Sabre doesn't need a new vision, it just need to utilize the number of tools it already has. Do we use any of our acquisitions? How about all these dashboards that no one uses, and we waste time building? Travelocity could have been saved, if we spent more time trying to fix things, instead of trying to fix the surface problems. With a marketing campaign as strong as Travelocity has, why would you throw that brand away? Unnecessary long hours. This isn't Deloitte, this is a tech company. What is the need to work ridiculous hours? To prove you value your work life more than a real life? They promise a work life balance, but really it is more of a work work and no life balance. WFH days are of the devil at Sabre. If you WFH, it is assumed that you don't do work, even though you have emails and actual work completed to prove that you are working. Just because your manager doesn't wfh doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to. Why are only some policies upheld in certain departments? Why does Finance follow its own policies. Shouldn't policies be company wide?

SVP's who just nod their head yes. It is like a bobble head that doesn't stop. Why not double check with your team to see if they have the capacity to complete the work? How about not forgetting the work that you assign? Completed projects and when presented having an SVP wondering what it is for. Remember, you asked me for this? You have SVP's who sugar coat. Sugar coat a massive lay off by saying that this is for the good of the company. It is all about the vision that they are trying to create. For the betterment of the entity as a whole. Lying to people, instead of working with them and being honest. Did you that honesty goes a lot better with then false hope?

Then you have the managers who were at one time your colleague but now your boss. Which is fine. But then they let their personal problems hinder their perspective and take it out on their employees. And they make your job a living hell for as long as they can, because their personal life sucks. Instead of screwing over your employees, why don't you help them out? Teach them ropes, understand what they are interested in? Stop being fake, pretending to be this happy go lucky individual. Why don't you be honest?

Be honest. Is it so hard? So you heard that there would be lay offs? Well tell us. We would appreciate you more for it. This so called vision, is nothing but fluffy way of saying, "Hey, we screwed up real bad, but lets put some big words on a poster and increase the lack of company morale!" Sabre is screwed, especially with the type of people running it today. Everything is politically driven, to see who can gain the most. It is cut throat, and unnecessary.

Don't work here..run for somewhere else

I worked at Sabre

Pros

Good cafeteria food, covered parking.

Cons

This place lays off workers like crazy. You will walk in one day thinking it's just another day at the office, thinking you're performing well, and BOOM...a 5 minute ambiguous meeting full of jibberish about the company needing to reduce expenses yadda yadda and your job (along with scores of others) is one of those things to cut. They'll pull this 2 weeks before Christmas so obviously they don't even care about morale and what the employees lucky enough to still have a job after a mass layoff will think. What a COMPANY!! If they didn't screw up running it so badly, they wouldn't have to resort to worrying about their financials that they have to churn through an annual hire/fire cycle.

Painfull!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not working there any more!

Cons

Finger pointing, back-stabbing, micro-managing, no annual raises

If you want to recruit and keep valued employees, treat them as such!