Sabre

Updated November 15, 2014
3.3

Sabre President and CEO Tom Klein
Tom Klein

Pros
  • Managers don't pressurize employees unnecessarily; they respect your work-life balance (in 62 reviews)

• Flexible work from home policy but hear that it might be changing soon (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little regard for work-life balance overall and compensation is below market (in 27 reviews)

• Work from home depends on manager and the team you are working in (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Former Employee - Procurement Department in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Procurement Department in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible workplace, had a 'human touch' to all that they did and it was a great place to work. I left to take a higher paying job but it is no where near as enjoyable.

Cons

Sometimes the lines of authority were blurred and poorly thought through decisions were made. Salaries were not as strong as surrounding area companies and quite an attrition rate owing to money.

Be tougher at the top and stop the renegade decision making by various managers / directors / VP's that cost the company $000,000. Enforce policy, process, procedure and accountability.

Good internship experiences

I worked at Sabre as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Interns can learn a lot of things here, from peers, managers, and senior executives. Also, the pay is good.

Cons

The culture of the company is just OK, not many cooperation across different groups, sometimes the job can be boring, depends on the projects

Provide better food, organize more networking events

very interesting and growing industry

I have been working at Sabre (more than 8 years)

Pros

very collaborative environment and strong team work

Cons

new leadership has changed the culture of the company

New Management, New Direction

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In the past couple of years since I've joined, the company has made big changes in executive leadership (new CEO and new CTO). In that time, Sabre has also made big changes to the business (going public, moving Travelocity to Expedia's platform, attempting to sell lastminute.com). Internally, we are pushing to change the culture to be "one Sabre" and to drive innovation. Common topics: creating big data products, shifting to cloud architectures, focusing on world class user experiences. As a software developer, it feels pretty positive. You are definitely rewarded for pushing your product forward.

Cons

Culturally, there seems to be a lot of apathy. Technology seems to be about 5-10 years behind the best tech companies. For example, we're just now starting to investigate cloud architecture. If you're into mainstream technologies from 5 years ago, you're considered leading edge rebels.

I love the new direction the company is going. Focusing on using modern technologies and valuing premium user experiences are great strategies for creating customer value.

Very interesting industry & good people to work with.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed the fact that Sabre really took pride in the community around them. There were so many community service opportunities and Sabre allowed a certain number of work time hours to pursue them. From my experience in my group, my manager always "had my back" and really stood up for and believed in the people beneath him. There was also a very flexible environment with working from home options. The actual options available to you for WFH varied depending on the group you are with.

Cons

In the group I was in it was very difficult to get a promotion and moving around the company was difficult if your group was under-staffed. You would get "blocked" so to speak from the upper management.

Be as transparent as possible with employees when questions are asked.

Excellent people, bad management

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are wonderful, good benefits

Cons

Management tends to be a bit stuck in the '90s. Layoffs are terrifying. things go slow.

Be less structured. Have the ability for WFH. Offer more benefits to attract a younger employer base.

Good company

I have been working at Sabre full-time

Pros

Great company to learn a lot from, especially if you're a new grad. Sabre is engaged with almost every facet of travel and with many technologies, both currently in use and on the drawing boards of many large companies for the future.

Cons

Too much analysis and slow to take action.

Experiment more with different business strategies.

Great company, great job.

I have been working at Sabre

Pros

Cool industry (travel), fun & smart colleagues. Plenty of HR and training available. Strong healthy benefits and plenty of travel opportunities if you are on the business side.

Cons

Large organization leads to processes, complexity. Can be top-heavy at times... especially post-IPO.

Good company

Former Employee - Senior Consultant - Tpf in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant - Tpf in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Technology if you are interested in that. And the environment for better working including friendly people. I believe the people are happy here most of the time in comparison to some of my other companies before

Cons

Pay and bonus are not great. While many companies do a better pay or better bonus - here both are not that great. Yearly reviews and salary raise are not something that can be said even on percentage basis

Position was outsourced

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My first manager was fantastic. Hands off, not micromanaging and knew that her team knew their jobs and let them do them. Great WFH policy.

Cons

Then I was reorg'ed to a new manager. This manager chose to outsource my position to the Sabre office in Uruguay. This transition was degrading and insulting. I was given six months notice of the layoff and offered a great compensation package but with one restriction. I was forced to train my replacement two weeks before my departure. If I refused, there would be no compensation. The new manager had the audacity to invite me to the team lunch "Welcoming" my replacement to the team.

Outsourcing isn't always the answer to everything.