Sabre Reviews

Updated October 10, 2014
3.3

Sabre President and CEO Tom Klein
Tom Klein

Pros
  • Very good work/life balance with all the benefits of remote work (in 59 reviews)

• Flexible work from home policy but hear that it might be changing soon (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little regard for work-life balance overall and compensation is below market (in 25 reviews)

• Sabre was not flexible in terms of working options, for instance work from home (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice place to work...lots of very intelligent engineers to work with and learn with

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Computer engineering processes are in-place and they work quite well. I'm talking about peer code reviews and quality assurance. The group I was lucky enough to work in had an excellent set of processes that every single 'project' or 'upgrade' went through.

Cons

Physical work space (Southlake, TX...their world-wide headquarters) was quite confining and not conducive to good or high levels of concentration. People always interrupting you, talking to your neighbors...just generally not what I'd call an easy place to concentrate in.

Don't hire and fire so rampantly (and religiously). You are losing a lot of good people by doing what you do when it comes to the constant threat of new layoffs.

Good

Current Employee - Contributor Business Analyst in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Contributor Business Analyst in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good career growth. Travel options.

Cons

Frequent Layoffs. Career restricted to travel industry.

No frequent layoffs

Full of smart, experienced, industry-saavy people who are good to work with but organization is slow to change

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Worked here for over 10 years until leaving for a better opportunity in the industry. The people make this a great place to work. They are smart people who know the industry very well and are happy to share their knowledge with you. Pay is above average for the travel industry and market for companies outside the industry. Benefits were also very competitive with many other industries. I was able to advance my career and grow responsibilities w/o leaving the holdings company.

Cons

1. The plus is also a minus. With so many experienced people, it can be tough to find advancement opportunities. It is a culture of who you know and what projects you've worked on or lead.
    2. The GDS business (the core of Sabre) is a mature industry and thus is primarily managed to profitability rather than top line revenue growth. Not a big deal if you are a finance person but maybe it is for someone in brand marketing.
    3. The company is still trying to find ways to grow. It has done acquisitions, it has incubated businesses and it hasn't hit a home run or even a double yet. Perhaps that will change but it struggles to find growth outside of its airline technology business.

It's time to rip off the band-aid and get to the future. That means taking some risk with acquisitions but it also means taking risk in terms of talent management. I think some people are allowed to stay too long.

Mostly good

Current Employee - Solutions Manager in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Solutions Manager in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility, good pay, lots of opportunities to move to around to different jobs at a lateral level, fairly low benefit costs compared to some other companies

Cons

Upward promotion is not always easy unless you have a senior level sponsor, overly complex organization structure with too much matrixing, need more clear definition of roles / responsibilities to hold people accountable

Promote from within as opposed to hiring externally for more senior positions

Ups and Downs

Current Employee - Product Manager in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work environment and people make for a great place to work. The aviation industry is very interesting and have given me the opportunity to travel to very cool places and always have challenging problems to solve. It depends on the position but I have extremely great flexibility and work life balance and most every coworker that I know would agree. People have been hard on the new CEO, Tom Klein. My opinion is that he is a pretty standard executive and most people I know don't like him because he has a very different style of management than the last CEO, not necessarily worse.

Cons

There is very limited visibility into what upper management is thinking. Proposals are sent "up stairs" but you never seem to get an answer or even get a feel for how they took the proposal. Recent change (and moves to get there)to being a public company has seemed to hurt employee morale more than help

Please improve visibility into decisions

Good company, great people!!

Former Employee - Technology Director in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Technology Director in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Sabre provided me an excellent opportunity to grow and learn early in my career. The majority of my bosses enabled me to excel in learning technology and commercial agreements. I also had a couple very good mentors and guided me to become very successful. There are four business units in Sabre and I spent my entire career on the travel agency side.

Cons

The "traditional" travel agency side of the business has been shrinking for years, but online agencies have filled back filled the void. From Sep 2013 through Mar 2014, Sabre laid off more than 1000 employees (likely closer to 1500) as they prepared to go public. When Sabre was a public company from 1999-2007, they had annual layoffs. In addition, over half of the executive team is new in the last 12 months.

Personal and profession growth seems to be limited. Layoffs and instability in career path reduces employee productivity and drives stress in the workforce.

I was never allowed to do the job I was hired for and was never allowed to get training to better myself.

Current Employee - Software Configuration Manager in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Software Configuration Manager in DFW, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The only two pro's for me are the paycheck and due to my seniority my vacation time.

Cons

My manager is only interested in pleasing his boss, if we don't meet his bosses standards then we don't meet his. And since Sabre has laid off a lot of people worldwide in the past year he uses that to try to get us to work. I also was never allowed to get training in the programming skills that I was hired to do and since then I have been unable to get training in the skills that I am expected to use daily.

Hire managers that care about their employees and stop worrying about hiring the best people in the business and worry about empowering the people that already work there.

Great name to have on my resume, but it's time to get the hell out

I have been working at Sabre

Pros

Senior leadership is responsive to requests from employees. Changes are being made around campus. Campus is Eco-friendly and there are several employee groups one can join based on one's interests. Volunteering is important to the company. Depending on the team, there are flexible work from home policies, flexible hours, and the potential for work/life balance.

Cons

The company is currently undergoing a lot of change. With being public, mostly new senior leadership, and some of the "old Sabre" still around, it's a very confusing environment. They want us to innovate, but budgeting, legacy systems, and fear of failure prevent that from happening 95% of the time. Depending on the team, work environments can be brutal, overly competitive, micro-managed by non-managers, and uncomfortable to work in. It is not a terrible place to work, but one needs to be cautious of the team they join and aware of the changing culture. Hopefully is it evolving for the better, but only time will tell.

Engage more with top talent to create top products. Revamp campus to be more conducive to any personality work environment. Stop giving power to those who are stuck with the old way Sabre ran, and instead listen to the new ideas.

Lots of opportunity but poor culture and lots of politics

Current Employee - Software Principal in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Software Principal in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time

Pros

Fun/interesting work if you can find your niche area - and it's a big enough place with enough variety that you should be able to. Smart people, flexible hours, casual work environment, diverse organization, many travel opportunities. It's big enough you can usually find your niche, though it may take a while. Management is trying to move in the right direction. Great vacation package - love that they combine vacation and sick days into a general paid-time-off.

Cons

Culture - fear of failure, afraid to be transparent to leaders - people do what the new CTO says instead of telling why what she's doing is driving bad behaviors in the organization. Layoffs have made this even worse as people just say what their leaders want to hear. Siloed organization - incredible amount of local optimization/waste between marketing, dev, test, ops. Way too deep of management layers - leaders seem to think things get done through more management and meetings instead of focusing on building software better. Lots of politics to fight through. Vast majority of managers here manage "up" - not much thought on their people other than getting them to deliver. Although attempting to move in the right direction, management is pretty clueless on how to get there now. There's a huge focus now to measure everything but by the time the measures are put in place, they end up providing no value.

Need a massive culture change if you really want to transform the organization. The layers beneath you mostly tell you what they think you want to hear - they're afraid to tell you no. Leads to much many poor and costly decisions. Break up the siloes! Focus on the people that are delivering software instead of managers who are trying to impress you and build their empires.

Micro-managed beyond comprehension and required to hit moving targets.

I have been working at Sabre

Pros

The people - without a doubt, overall the best group of people I have found in my entire career. There is a high degree of integrity here and pride in their work. You will not be working with slackers. The option to work from home is nice, if you can get it. Different managers will restrict this option, so make it part of your contract if it is important to you.

Cons

The micromanaging is out of control. I've never worked anywhere that makes more of an effort to un-empower their employees. They claim they want innovation but provide no ownership over your work. In some divisions, leadership at the highest levels is seriously lacking, as the SVP's just bicker over their power & territory. Even at that high level, they refuse to work together, and everyone under them ends up just trying to keep their heads down to stay out of the fray.

Please empower your employees. People at director levels and above should not be doing the work anymore. Ask them how they manage their projects. If the response is scheduling meetings every week, then they don't understand automation and how to manage workloads properly. You have an impeccable staff down to the lowest levels. Don't squander that asset by using management techniques best left in the 80's.