Sabre

Updated December 22, 2014
3.3

Sabre President and CEO Tom Klein
Tom Klein

Pros
  • Managers don't pressurize employees unnecessarily; they respect your work-life balance (in 62 reviews)

• Flexible work from home policy but hear that it might be changing soon (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little regard for work-life balance overall and compensation is below market (in 27 reviews)

• Work from home depends on manager and the team you are working in (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

By Far The Worst Workplace Experienced

I have been working at Sabre

Pros

Free coffee and tea
    Dress causal every day
    If you do not want a life outside work, this is the place to be
    If you do not want to be appreciated, see above
    There are intelligent and talented individuals whose faces look as though their soul had been sucked by the Man

Cons

Company was previously bought by Sabre; it was initially a web production start-up .com.

Set-up for failure
    Poor communication: corporate/mgmt/teams/clients
    Minimal training, no technical documentation outlining how to use systems on a basic level, required to learn on own which isn't always a good thing, particularly when you're reprimanded when a mistake is made
    Ability to move around laterally, but promotion-wise is near impossible
    It is discouraged to decorate and/or display any personal items in work area (e.g. photos of family, calendars)
    No telecommuting as promised, similarly with flex time
    Long hours and no compensation - lunches were few and far between
    Quick to point out all wrong-doings, yet spare any support of encouragement
    Departments/teams all stretched thin with unreasonable and unrealistic expectations
    Clients were poorly managed by upper management, whose responsibility should have been setting an expectation based upon the company in whole, not what it used to be prior to buyout.
    Surreal to see an environment of young professionals (20s-30s) who rarely smiled at one another, stopped by for a quick friendly chat, or spent any time team building outside of work (e.g. happy hour, lunch). Instead, they run around stressed, hurried, anxious, and unhappy. For those who have been there before the buyout, it was their first job out-of-college. For those who were new to the company post-buyout, this is their first experience and belief of what it was like to work in the working-world. For those who were not new to the working world but new to the company (post-buyout), they were culturally SHOCKED.

It would be moot.
    Advice was sought by management. However, to make suggestions fell upon deaf ears. Unfortunately, for those who did speak up, they were told, "it will make you stronger" as if the condescending comment did not take into consideration many folks have quite a bit going on in their lives that make them stronger.
    Sadly, many stopped providing feedback as they feared for their jobs in this economic environment.

Disgusting Place

Current Employee - Architect in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Architect in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Sabre

Pros

Good for non-engineers aspiring to be engineers: You won’t miss all the engineering stuff you never learned; you will feel at home and among equals.

Cons

Management is bad; the HR department is worse. Right from the recruitment process they were incompetent and unprofessional. I should have gone with my gut feeling and stayed far away from this company.

Replace the entire HR department. Hire managers who can, at least, tell the difference between a desktop and a laptop.

Used to be a good place to work, not anymore

Current Employee - Systems Engineer Contributor in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer Contributor in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre

Pros

While management is terrible, the line workers are very loyal, qualified and hardworking, they are the ones keeping the company afloat. Some units are still good places to work.

Cons

Sabre used to be a good place to work, but routine annual layoffs and offshoring have depleted the company of most of its talent. Most of the creative work has disappeared and now all we do is push through another day, "milking" what is left of a formerly great company.
    The current manager is utterly unqualified to run a company, they couldn't seem to find a way to grow our business even when the whole market was growing, and all of our policies are now dictated by the finance organization.
    Our leaders are selfish and completely lack any form of empathy, when the CEO announced the end of our pension plan he responded to the boos from the crowd saying "I know, I've lost my pension plan too" when it was public knowledge he made $ 17 million when the company was acquired..
    This year a few high level figures got sacked by the new owners because of their faulty performance, yet the new guys in place are as bad or worse than the ones before them.
    There are no career opportunities, the company is in shrinking mode and there are no positions you can grow into. The salary increases year to year range from zero to one or two percent (if you're lucky) and then you don't even get them annually. Last year I got my salary reviewed in March, this year I am still waiting. I will probably get like 1.5% by year end, which is less than 1% a year. Promotions are very unlikely.
    Besides not having career opportunities, you career may be cut short at any time by a layoff.
    Now there is new talks about yet another round of layoffs (last year we had a large one affecting 25% of the personnel at headquarters). I hope I make it through this one and that the economy picks up soon so I can find a job with a better company.

Stop the layoffs, this will give employees peace of mind and improve their productivity. Stop saying things like "the investors are counting on us" at townhall meetings. Isn't it time the investors do something for the people running their company?
    Concentrate your efforts on growing the company, if you can't do it when our competitors are, maybe it is time for you to leave and bring other people to run the company.

Great front line people, weak management

Former Employee - Business Develop Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Business Develop Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Sabre

Pros

Sabre attracts the best and the brightest. The team effort to make this company a World Leader is incredible. There is a sense of pride in the product offered. Generally the field employees are knowledgable and industry savvy. A real focus on customer satisfaction and partnership. Teams works together in a very supportive manner, for the most part.

Cons

Unfortunaltey, management does not respect this team effort and often eliminates those most active in developing and promoting.

You have serious cometition in the marketplace. Don't let them have your people as well as your products.

There is a reason most people haven't heard of Sabre

Former Employee - Finance in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Finance in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flight benefits were great when part of AA, but that changed drastically for those of us that came later. Lots of smart people in Finance who had MBA's. Some interesting work, but may have changed in recent years.

MBAs get paid reasonably well compared to overall market, and much higher than ordinary Sabre hires.

Cons

Pretty much the whole company. It runs despite the management and politics. The business model for the CRS portion of the business is being a middleman, and many customers and partners attempt to bypass Sabre. Too much focus on developing new products that customers don't want or don't like using. The name recognition for Sabre severely lacks relative to the portion of the travel industry that it touches.

There is limited impact that management and all the planning/analysis they put in place can have on the business. The CRS is just a database where you want to keep costs low for the information going in and going out. However, management did anything but when trying to grow their political organizations.

The current senior management is just as clueless now as when they were middle management a few years ago.

Politics can be extreme. MBAs have better opportunities for promotions and better pay/raises, though there is still extreme competition within that group, and not the best job to take out of business school, unless you are fanatic about company politics and doing lots of useless work.. Its ridiculous how many MBAs Sabre hires with good salaries, and then chooses to only develop a select group of them almost from day one. Many leave for better jobs/companies with better business models and greater impact.

For those who are not hired as MBAs, understand that you won't be paid as much. This is market driven and not unique to Sabre.

The Sabre brand is not all that well known, and other employers don't often know what it is, much less understand what the company does.

Get a clue. Realize that the business is a quasi-utility, not a startup or "tech" company and manage capital and overhead more efficiently and responsibly.

Disrespectful and distrusting senior management creates a hostile and uncomfortable work environment.

Current Employee - Finance
    Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at Sabre full-time

Pros

- Good location.
    - Nice campus.
    - Good cafeteria.
    - Covered parking?

Cons

Low salary.
    Disrespectful management.
    I never knew the true meaning of "micromanage" until I came here.
    No work-life balance. (65 hour weeks are not only common, but expected)
    Holidays/PTO are mostly for "show". Go ahead and TRY to get a day off. I dare you.

Most employees do, in fact, know what they're doing. Treat them that way.
    It is never appropriate to talk down to an employee. If there are true performance issues, address them professionally.
    Assume that people do care and want to succeed. Stop treating people like an inconvenience.
    If you want talent, you need to pay for it.

Great place for family guys

Current Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Kraków (Poland)
    Current Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Kraków (Poland)

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Possibility to change role or team once a year.
    2. Multinational teams.
    3. Flexible working hours.
    4. Ability to work remotely from home.
    5. Excellent healthcare programme.
    6. Social benefits and family events.
    7. Office location and city panorama from the window.
    8. Showers in the office (great for cyclists, joggers, etc.)

Cons

1. Global lay offs spoiled company image - harder to hire good employees now.
    2. Lack of responsibility and faith in success due to overgrown teams and complicated organization.
    3. Notorious bureaucracy leaving little time for actual work (administrative tasks, invaluable meetings, etc.)
    4. Infrastructural issues continue to delay work (e.g. corporate proxy, network connectivity in data centers, outsourced resource management).
    5. Shortage of desks for employees (must rotate seats).
    6. Brainwashing through propaganda posters and stickers all over the place as well as frequent all hands.
    7. Hypocrisy of managers, artificially boosting ratings (e.g. pilot teams for Agile transformation were already transformed but chosen specifically to look good on paper).
    8. Some managers care more about showing off in front of their bosses rather than company interest.
    9. The process for setting yearly goals by an employee is completely detached from reality.
    10. Hermetic and slow in terms of taking up on the latest technology.
    11. The work becomes boring and not challenging anymore after a while.

Talk less, do more. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Could be a great company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time

Pros

Industry is interesting, overall culture is good, vacation is great

Cons

No work/life balance, raises are minimal, pay is not great, VERY high turnover in finance at senior levels and below, some work can be very boring, lots of layoffs in the business units. MBAs will make almost twice as much for a role that is the same or even easier.

Sabre wants to build extraordinary teams but doesn't want to pay money for these extraordinary teams and is always trying to save on salaries. That will never work.

GTE

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

benefits, work live balance, people

Cons

management, promotions, personal growth, higher management really sucks

Challenging Work Environment with Flexible Work Arrangements

Former Employee - PGM in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - PGM in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging projects, flexible work arrangements, fast moving pace. Some good leaders in the pack. These bright points gives you some hope for the future.

Cons

Regular layoffs, aggressive work environment, tolerates bad behavior when it comes from senior leaders. This is causing a general uneasiness under employees.

Start cleaning from the top when laying off. Hold senior leaders accountable. Change the cut throat environment.