Sabre Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

3.3

Sabre President and CEO Tom Klein
Tom Klein

Pros
  • Work/life balance; groups with good knowledge and great cultures (in 55 reviews)

• Good place to work - many employees are able to work from home (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little regard for work-life balance overall and compensation is below market (in 22 reviews)

• Work from home depends on manager and the team you are working in (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice place to work...lots of very intelligent engineers to work with and learn with

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time for less than a year

Pros

Computer engineering processes are in-place and they work quite well. I'm talking about peer code reviews and quality assurance. The group I was lucky enough to work in had an excellent set of processes that every single 'project' or 'upgrade' went through.

Cons

Physical work space (Southlake, TX...their world-wide headquarters) was quite confining and not conducive to good or high levels of concentration. People always interrupting you, talking to your neighbors...just generally not what I'd call an easy place to concentrate in.

Don't hire and fire so rampantly (and religiously). You are losing a lot of good people by doing what you do when it comes to the constant threat of new layoffs.

Full of smart, experienced, industry-saavy people who are good to work with but organization is slow to change

I have been working at Sabre full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Worked here for over 10 years until leaving for a better opportunity in the industry. The people make this a great place to work. They are smart people who know the industry very well and are happy to share their knowledge with you. Pay is above average for the travel industry and market for companies outside the industry. Benefits were also very competitive with many other industries. I was able to advance my career and grow responsibilities w/o leaving the holdings company.

Cons

1. The plus is also a minus. With so many experienced people, it can be tough to find advancement opportunities. It is a culture of who you know and what projects you've worked on or lead.
    2. The GDS business (the core of Sabre) is a mature industry and thus is primarily managed to profitability rather than top line revenue growth. Not a big deal if you are a finance person but maybe it is for someone in brand marketing.
    3. The company is still trying to find ways to grow. It has done acquisitions, it has incubated businesses and it hasn't hit a home run or even a double yet. Perhaps that will change but it struggles to find growth outside of its airline technology business.

It's time to rip off the band-aid and get to the future. That means taking some risk with acquisitions but it also means taking risk in terms of talent management. I think some people are allowed to stay too long.

Good

Current Employee - Contributor Business Analyst  in  Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Contributor Business Analyst in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good career growth. Travel options.

Cons

Frequent Layoffs. Career restricted to travel industry.

No frequent layoffs

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tehnology

I worked at Sabre full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great visionary leaders. Great teachnology.

Cons

None. Great company to work for with great people.

Keep up the great work

Micro-managed beyond comprehension and required to hit moving targets.

I have been working at Sabre

Pros

The people - without a doubt, overall the best group of people I have found in my entire career. There is a high degree of integrity here and pride in their work. You will not be working with slackers. The option to work from home is nice, if you can get it. Different managers will restrict this option, so make it part of your contract if it is important to you.

Cons

The micromanaging is out of control. I've never worked anywhere that makes more of an effort to un-empower their employees. They claim they want innovation but provide no ownership over your work. In some divisions, leadership at the highest levels is seriously lacking, as the SVP's just bicker over their power & territory. Even at that high level, they refuse to work together, and everyone under them ends up just trying to keep their heads down to stay out of the fray.

Please empower your employees. People at director levels and above should not be doing the work anymore. Ask them how they manage their projects. If the response is scheduling meetings every week, then they don't understand automation and how to manage workloads properly. You have an impeccable staff down to the lowest levels. Don't squander that asset by using management techniques best left in the 80's.

Lots of opportunity but poor culture and lots of politics

Current Employee - Software Principal  in  Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Software Principal in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time

Pros

Fun/interesting work if you can find your niche area - and it's a big enough place with enough variety that you should be able to. Smart people, flexible hours, casual work environment, diverse organization, many travel opportunities. It's big enough you can usually find your niche, though it may take a while. Management is trying to move in the right direction. Great vacation package - love that they combine vacation and sick days into a general paid-time-off.

Cons

Culture - fear of failure, afraid to be transparent to leaders - people do what the new CTO says instead of telling why what she's doing is driving bad behaviors in the organization. Layoffs have made this even worse as people just say what their leaders want to hear. Siloed organization - incredible amount of local optimization/waste between marketing, dev, test, ops. Way too deep of management layers - leaders seem to think things get done through more management and meetings instead of focusing on building software better. Lots of politics to fight through. Vast majority of managers here manage "up" - not much thought on their people other than getting them to deliver. Although attempting to move in the right direction, management is pretty clueless on how to get there now. There's a huge focus now to measure everything but by the time the measures are put in place, they end up providing no value.

Need a massive culture change if you really want to transform the organization. The layers beneath you mostly tell you what they think you want to hear - they're afraid to tell you no. Leads to much many poor and costly decisions. Break up the siloes! Focus on the people that are delivering software instead of managers who are trying to impress you and build their empires.

Mostly good

Current Employee - Solutions Manager  in  Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Solutions Manager in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexibility, good pay, lots of opportunities to move to around to different jobs at a lateral level, fairly low benefit costs compared to some other companies

Cons

Upward promotion is not always easy unless you have a senior level sponsor, overly complex organization structure with too much matrixing, need more clear definition of roles / responsibilities to hold people accountable

Promote from within as opposed to hiring externally for more senior positions

Good company, great people!!

Former Employee - Technology Director  in  Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Technology Director in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Sabre provided me an excellent opportunity to grow and learn early in my career. The majority of my bosses enabled me to excel in learning technology and commercial agreements. I also had a couple very good mentors and guided me to become very successful. There are four business units in Sabre and I spent my entire career on the travel agency side.

Cons

The "traditional" travel agency side of the business has been shrinking for years, but online agencies have filled back filled the void. From Sep 2013 through Mar 2014, Sabre laid off more than 1000 employees (likely closer to 1500) as they prepared to go public. When Sabre was a public company from 1999-2007, they had annual layoffs. In addition, over half of the executive team is new in the last 12 months.

Personal and profession growth seems to be limited. Layoffs and instability in career path reduces employee productivity and drives stress in the workforce.

Ups and Downs

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The work environment and people make for a great place to work. The aviation industry is very interesting and have given me the opportunity to travel to very cool places and always have challenging problems to solve. It depends on the position but I have extremely great flexibility and work life balance and most every coworker that I know would agree. People have been hard on the new CEO, Tom Klein. My opinion is that he is a pretty standard executive and most people I know don't like him because he has a very different style of management than the last CEO, not necessarily worse.

Cons

There is very limited visibility into what upper management is thinking. Proposals are sent "up stairs" but you never seem to get an answer or even get a feel for how they took the proposal. Recent change (and moves to get there)to being a public company has seemed to hurt employee morale more than help

Please improve visibility into decisions

Intern

Former Employee - Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer  in  Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Sabre full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good place to work and learn, Having their own GDS

Cons

senior level politics, no security for a job now a days

Worked for Sabre? Contribute to the Community!