Sabre

Updated December 22, 2014
3.3

Sabre President and CEO Tom Klein
Tom Klein

Pros
  • Managers don't pressurize employees unnecessarily; they respect your work-life balance (in 62 reviews)

• Flexible work from home policy but hear that it might be changing soon (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little regard for work-life balance overall and compensation is below market (in 27 reviews)

• Work from home depends on manager and the team you are working in (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great

I have been working at Sabre

Pros

Fun environment at Sabre Holdings

Cons

Interesting industry to be in right now

Sabre a good company with family values

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They value work life balance

Cons

There is little room for advancement

Care for the people

Epitome of Corporate America

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time

Pros

Offers a decent work/life balance and initial compensation is acceptable. Campus is aesthetic and friendly.

Cons

Bureaucracy and politics run amok. Overzealous processes get in the way of delivering products timely -- simple changes take too long to implement. Compensation and training is stagnant.

Touting ground-up change is one thing, doing it is another.

Seeking escape route

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Location is great for me. Pay is decent. Benefits are good.

Cons

It's full of cliques. Very little to nothing is based on merit but instead on how you can market yourself. Most employees who are interested in just doing good work will be disappointed by the constant nonsense and drama.
    Amateurs and minor intellects will be your superiors and your opinion will be unwelcome.
    Groupthink is the the only acceptable opinion. Tolerance is high, as high as long as you agree with the group and their cult leaders.
    Many going along to get along. The truly gifted people have already left.

Technology is very outdated. Innovation is not happening quick enough to keep customers and employees happy.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility with schedule. Good benefits. The Southlake campus is nice. The travel industry is very dynamic and the work is interesting.

Cons

Too many project managers and disparate systems and processes. Teams are in silos and have their own agendas. Collaboration isn't encouraged. Customers are not happy. Technology is very outdated, and it takes way too long to get anything built.

Stop hiring project managers to run reports. Start listening to your customers and innovate! Employee retention is an issue!

Nice place to work...lots of very intelligent engineers to work with and learn with

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Computer engineering processes are in-place and they work quite well. I'm talking about peer code reviews and quality assurance. The group I was lucky enough to work in had an excellent set of processes that every single 'project' or 'upgrade' went through.

Cons

Physical work space (Southlake, TX...their world-wide headquarters) was quite confining and not conducive to good or high levels of concentration. People always interrupting you, talking to your neighbors...just generally not what I'd call an easy place to concentrate in.

Don't hire and fire so rampantly (and religiously). You are losing a lot of good people by doing what you do when it comes to the constant threat of new layoffs.

Full of smart, experienced, industry-saavy people who are good to work with but organization is slow to change

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Worked here for over 10 years until leaving for a better opportunity in the industry. The people make this a great place to work. They are smart people who know the industry very well and are happy to share their knowledge with you. Pay is above average for the travel industry and market for companies outside the industry. Benefits were also very competitive with many other industries. I was able to advance my career and grow responsibilities w/o leaving the holdings company.

Cons

1. The plus is also a minus. With so many experienced people, it can be tough to find advancement opportunities. It is a culture of who you know and what projects you've worked on or lead.
    2. The GDS business (the core of Sabre) is a mature industry and thus is primarily managed to profitability rather than top line revenue growth. Not a big deal if you are a finance person but maybe it is for someone in brand marketing.
    3. The company is still trying to find ways to grow. It has done acquisitions, it has incubated businesses and it hasn't hit a home run or even a double yet. Perhaps that will change but it struggles to find growth outside of its airline technology business.

It's time to rip off the band-aid and get to the future. That means taking some risk with acquisitions but it also means taking risk in terms of talent management. I think some people are allowed to stay too long.

Good

Current Employee - Contributor Business Analyst in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Contributor Business Analyst in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good career growth. Travel options.

Cons

Frequent Layoffs. Career restricted to travel industry.

No frequent layoffs

I was never allowed to do the job I was hired for and was never allowed to get training to better myself.

Current Employee - Software Configuration Manager in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Software Configuration Manager in DFW, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The only two pro's for me are the paycheck and due to my seniority my vacation time.

Cons

My manager is only interested in pleasing his boss, if we don't meet his bosses standards then we don't meet his. And since Sabre has laid off a lot of people worldwide in the past year he uses that to try to get us to work. I also was never allowed to get training in the programming skills that I was hired to do and since then I have been unable to get training in the skills that I am expected to use daily.

Hire managers that care about their employees and stop worrying about hiring the best people in the business and worry about empowering the people that already work there.

Great name to have on my resume, but it's time to get the hell out

I have been working at Sabre

Pros

Senior leadership is responsive to requests from employees. Changes are being made around campus. Campus is Eco-friendly and there are several employee groups one can join based on one's interests. Volunteering is important to the company. Depending on the team, there are flexible work from home policies, flexible hours, and the potential for work/life balance.

Cons

The company is currently undergoing a lot of change. With being public, mostly new senior leadership, and some of the "old Sabre" still around, it's a very confusing environment. They want us to innovate, but budgeting, legacy systems, and fear of failure prevent that from happening 95% of the time. Depending on the team, work environments can be brutal, overly competitive, micro-managed by non-managers, and uncomfortable to work in. It is not a terrible place to work, but one needs to be cautious of the team they join and aware of the changing culture. Hopefully is it evolving for the better, but only time will tell.

Engage more with top talent to create top products. Revamp campus to be more conducive to any personality work environment. Stop giving power to those who are stuck with the old way Sabre ran, and instead listen to the new ideas.