Sabre

Updated December 16, 2014
3.3

Sabre President and CEO Tom Klein
Tom Klein

Pros
  • Managers don't pressurize employees unnecessarily; they respect your work-life balance (in 62 reviews)

• Flexible work from home policy but hear that it might be changing soon (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little regard for work-life balance overall and compensation is below market (in 27 reviews)

• Work from home depends on manager and the team you are working in (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

I was never allowed to do the job I was hired for and was never allowed to get training to better myself.

Current Employee - Software Configuration Manager in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Software Configuration Manager in DFW, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The only two pro's for me are the paycheck and due to my seniority my vacation time.

Cons

My manager is only interested in pleasing his boss, if we don't meet his bosses standards then we don't meet his. And since Sabre has laid off a lot of people worldwide in the past year he uses that to try to get us to work. I also was never allowed to get training in the programming skills that I was hired to do and since then I have been unable to get training in the skills that I am expected to use daily.

Hire managers that care about their employees and stop worrying about hiring the best people in the business and worry about empowering the people that already work there.

Great name to have on my resume, but it's time to get the hell out

I have been working at Sabre

Pros

Senior leadership is responsive to requests from employees. Changes are being made around campus. Campus is Eco-friendly and there are several employee groups one can join based on one's interests. Volunteering is important to the company. Depending on the team, there are flexible work from home policies, flexible hours, and the potential for work/life balance.

Cons

The company is currently undergoing a lot of change. With being public, mostly new senior leadership, and some of the "old Sabre" still around, it's a very confusing environment. They want us to innovate, but budgeting, legacy systems, and fear of failure prevent that from happening 95% of the time. Depending on the team, work environments can be brutal, overly competitive, micro-managed by non-managers, and uncomfortable to work in. It is not a terrible place to work, but one needs to be cautious of the team they join and aware of the changing culture. Hopefully is it evolving for the better, but only time will tell.

Engage more with top talent to create top products. Revamp campus to be more conducive to any personality work environment. Stop giving power to those who are stuck with the old way Sabre ran, and instead listen to the new ideas.

Lots of opportunity but poor culture and lots of politics

Current Employee - Software Principal in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Software Principal in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time

Pros

Fun/interesting work if you can find your niche area - and it's a big enough place with enough variety that you should be able to. Smart people, flexible hours, casual work environment, diverse organization, many travel opportunities. It's big enough you can usually find your niche, though it may take a while. Management is trying to move in the right direction. Great vacation package - love that they combine vacation and sick days into a general paid-time-off.

Cons

Culture - fear of failure, afraid to be transparent to leaders - people do what the new CTO says instead of telling why what she's doing is driving bad behaviors in the organization. Layoffs have made this even worse as people just say what their leaders want to hear. Siloed organization - incredible amount of local optimization/waste between marketing, dev, test, ops. Way too deep of management layers - leaders seem to think things get done through more management and meetings instead of focusing on building software better. Lots of politics to fight through. Vast majority of managers here manage "up" - not much thought on their people other than getting them to deliver. Although attempting to move in the right direction, management is pretty clueless on how to get there now. There's a huge focus now to measure everything but by the time the measures are put in place, they end up providing no value.

Need a massive culture change if you really want to transform the organization. The layers beneath you mostly tell you what they think you want to hear - they're afraid to tell you no. Leads to much many poor and costly decisions. Break up the siloes! Focus on the people that are delivering software instead of managers who are trying to impress you and build their empires.

Micro-managed beyond comprehension and required to hit moving targets.

I have been working at Sabre

Pros

The people - without a doubt, overall the best group of people I have found in my entire career. There is a high degree of integrity here and pride in their work. You will not be working with slackers. The option to work from home is nice, if you can get it. Different managers will restrict this option, so make it part of your contract if it is important to you.

Cons

The micromanaging is out of control. I've never worked anywhere that makes more of an effort to un-empower their employees. They claim they want innovation but provide no ownership over your work. In some divisions, leadership at the highest levels is seriously lacking, as the SVP's just bicker over their power & territory. Even at that high level, they refuse to work together, and everyone under them ends up just trying to keep their heads down to stay out of the fray.

Please empower your employees. People at director levels and above should not be doing the work anymore. Ask them how they manage their projects. If the response is scheduling meetings every week, then they don't understand automation and how to manage workloads properly. You have an impeccable staff down to the lowest levels. Don't squander that asset by using management techniques best left in the 80's.

interesting - challenging workplace

I worked at Sabre full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Sabre is on top of new technology. Sabre is a green company, The HDQ building is energy efficient. They stand out for good social concerns. They take a stand on human trafficking and educate their employees about this tough topic. They are progressive in a lot of ways.

Cons

always in the reactive mode - very cost conscious now with limited view to the future

listen to employees and customers

Good place to work, but future uncertain

Former Employee - Customer Tech Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Tech Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sabre full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The work environment is a comfortable one. Management is open about what is going on with the company, and your place in their plans. Respectful of employees and willing to try new things.

Cons

Economic pressures, layoffs, a new CEO and philosophy. Southlake HQ seems to forget sometimes that not everyone works at or has the same issues as those at HQ.

Keep all departments engaged and informed

Mostly positive

I worked at Sabre

Pros

Culture of hard working employees who care about the customer and completing quality work.

Cons

Hard work doesn't necessarily tie back to recognition or salary increases depending upon the division you are in.

Doing less with more is not ultimately sustainable. Outsourcing isn't a winning solution all of the time.

Micro-managed & stressful

I worked at Sabre full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Most people are young so you if you're in your mid-late 20's you'll enjoy the people
    - If you work hard, you can move up the ranks at a reasonable rate
    - After you put your time in, you can work from home once or twice a week- so they are flexible

Cons

- It's a stressful work environment with crazy deadlines. So many people work past their paid time and don't get over-time. Management values the "obsessed with work" work ethic.
    - You have to track everything you do. While some of it is for billing the clients, it's also for a way for management to play big brother.
    - They had lay offs in 2013 and ever since then the micro-managing has gotten worse and there was always a looming threat of another round, even though they played it off like it was a one time thing
    - Even though they were flexible with remote working etc., it was still impossible to achieve a good work-life balance.

Don't think I can advise the management because they are too far gone in their ways.

Was very unhappy there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Sabre full-time

Pros

option to work from home, managers make an effort to listen to employee's ideas and concerns

Cons

very little work-life balance, little training, consistent inefficiencies that never seem to get resolved, atmosphere of put your head down and work, expected to work late, relatively low compensation, never enough resources, demanding deadlines, no office activities or amenities

A crazy busy, never boring, often overwhelming place to work

I worked at Sabre

Pros

This has a friendly atmosphere and offers great training in a flexible and high energy environment. There are some opportunities for moving into different teams for adding to overall skill set.

Cons

This is a very busy workplace - most say too busy, the work never finishes and the stress level can be very high. Pay level once trained does not keep pace with market rates.

Invest in more people.