Sabre

Updated January 24, 2015
3.3

Sabre President and CEO Tom Klein
Tom Klein

Pros
  • Managers don't pressurize employees unnecessarily; they respect your work-life balance (in 62 reviews)

• Flexible work from home policy but hear that it might be changing soon (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little regard for work-life balance overall and compensation is below market (in 27 reviews)

• Work from home depends on manager and the team you are working in (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Micro-managed & stressful

I worked at Sabre full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Most people are young so you if you're in your mid-late 20's you'll enjoy the people
    - If you work hard, you can move up the ranks at a reasonable rate
    - After you put your time in, you can work from home once or twice a week- so they are flexible

Cons

- It's a stressful work environment with crazy deadlines. So many people work past their paid time and don't get over-time. Management values the "obsessed with work" work ethic.
    - You have to track everything you do. While some of it is for billing the clients, it's also for a way for management to play big brother.
    - They had lay offs in 2013 and ever since then the micro-managing has gotten worse and there was always a looming threat of another round, even though they played it off like it was a one time thing
    - Even though they were flexible with remote working etc., it was still impossible to achieve a good work-life balance.

Don't think I can advise the management because they are too far gone in their ways.

Was very unhappy there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Sabre full-time

Pros

option to work from home, managers make an effort to listen to employee's ideas and concerns

Cons

very little work-life balance, little training, consistent inefficiencies that never seem to get resolved, atmosphere of put your head down and work, expected to work late, relatively low compensation, never enough resources, demanding deadlines, no office activities or amenities

A crazy busy, never boring, often overwhelming place to work

I worked at Sabre

Pros

This has a friendly atmosphere and offers great training in a flexible and high energy environment. There are some opportunities for moving into different teams for adding to overall skill set.

Cons

This is a very busy workplace - most say too busy, the work never finishes and the stress level can be very high. Pay level once trained does not keep pace with market rates.

Invest in more people.

Used to be a good work environment, not any more

Current Employee - Software Development Contributor in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Software Development Contributor in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary and vacation are good, remote work allowed, flexible

Cons

Senior management changes led to a stressful work environment, lot of people are laid off every year so there is no job security. Not all departments in Technology get to work on a latest technology stack.

Please learn to motivate your employees rather than stressing them out, learn to keep a fun, peaceful and collaborative work environment

Someone whos been there

Former Employee - Spoc in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Spoc in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Sabre full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Perhaps change has crept in to their managemernt and perhaps they have managed to raise the level they treat those who are genuinely desiring to facilitate change. I know they have moved locations and are still in business.

Cons

A lack of insitefull leadership left over from the American Airlines era. No perspective of looking at how far more successfull compaive good service to the customernies do it. No desire to facilitate posotive change. Unable to understand the customer and thus g

None given because none was ever followed in the past. Of the companies I have worked for, the leadership at SABRE the management was the least able to keep up with current practices and understand and cater to the needs of it's customers, with no desire to change that.

Trying to fit into the culture has been difficult, navigating through archaic processes and practices.

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility and location are a plus. The company cares about the community and gives back. There are some good people here that make it worth coming back every day.

Cons

Recent changes at highest levels have thrown development teams into chaos with no guidance or direction. The company went public in April which seems to be the reason for all the layoffs and shuffling at the first of the year, but little positive future prospects. It doesn't even appear the company knows what it wants to invest in for development - this has always been the case with pet projects often winning out. Needless to say we are not leading edge but a follower in the industry.

Communicate, tell us what is going on. Where are we headed?

Can be OK if circumstances and opportunities line up right. Make the right connections and you will go far.

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, cool industry, nice campus, good benefits

Cons

Senior management policies are currently in flux, loyalty to employee's is 0%, it's all about the bottom line and what is in it for the equity company, it's shareholders and the current executives

Stop paying lip service to the employee's and actually reward them for their hard work and sacrifices (the ones that have survived). Senior executive management all look like a bunch of greedy money grabbers who are happy to stand on the backs of employees to fill their pockets. (Company goes public and there is nothing for employee's...absolutely nothing. Really?)

High Pressure, Corporate Drag.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX

I worked at Sabre full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fantastic coworkers, campus, eco-friendly.

Cons

Direct manager didn't have any faith in me and unprofessionally told that to a coworker/friend. That is when I made other plans and issued resignation. A constant, repetitive "You should never work nights or weekends! You need balance!" But, constant pressure to get it done despite not being able to fit all the work in 40 hours. If you're fine with sitting at your desk for 25 years typing on a computer, work here. Exit interview was terrible. Via phone, she was two hours late to call. She called my desk, right next to my manager so I couldn't say anything candidly.

Constant fear of layoffs, but don't worry upper-level management released a slew of new propaganda-style values and had plenty of money to plaster it all over the walls of campus! That should fix it! Sigh.

Appreciate your employees or be ready for them to walk.

I spent a lifetime in this company and made wonderful friends. Corporate culture there is quite toxic though.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice salary and benefits
    Great peers
    Flexible work schedules
    Opportunity to see the world

Cons

Product management not customer centric
    ineffective management practices in general
    Too many executives - vice presidents reporting to vice presidents, etc
    frequent and sudden layoffs have been the norm since 2000.

Leadership changes are certainly needed.

Employee with more than a decade, sees sad future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX

I have been working at Sabre full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It has been a good company, surviving and even thriving through the down turn with a CEO that saw the value in his employees and understood his people.

Cons

That CEO retired. Now we have a new one who thinks he's Steve Jobs, intent on IPO, with a new management team that just listens to consultants rather than trying to understand the business.

Rather than cutting heads to reduce cost we need to take all of the companies we've bought through the years and actually try to put them together using single processes and platforms. That's where the real cost savings will come from, it takes longer, and more of a commitment. A commitment that hired guns don't have, so the current new crop needs to go.