Sacramento Municipal

Add Photos

John DiStasio

Sacramento Review

ProsGreat Place to Work, work life balance, nice people

ConsLimited room for growth as no one leaves

Advice to Senior ManagementCreat some job growth paths

A business culture that destroys the work ethics of most people.

Operations, Engineering, Management (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsExtraordinarily high wages and salaries compared to other utilities, industries or similar job descriptions. Many of the workers and staff are highly skilled and capable of succeeding with any task assigned.

ConsSMUD has a decades old culture of unaccountability, inefficiency and apathy that destroys the work attitude and ethics of most people who join them. After many years of trying to understand the mind-boggling management and leadership applications seen, I have been able to form only one possible explanation. SMUD has an automatic 30% tax advantage when compared to investor owned utilities and a guaranteed customer and rate base. I think the goal of senior management at SMUD is to not operate the utility effectively. If SMUD was managed with effectiveness and efficiency as a goal (like most companies), the district would need to lower their electric rates, and that will never occur. The end result is a top-down culture of leadership that does not make waves and for God's sake don't encourage or promote operational improvements. If one identifies deficiencies or opportunities for improvement, that person is identified as a trouble-maker and their career is ruined. Within SMUD you are encouraged to quietly go along for the ride. Engineering projects never get accomplished on time, always run over budget, and no one seems to care! If one compares the number of levels of supervisory and management at SMUD with another utility the heart of the problem is demonstrated. Promotions and advancement are not based upon ability, merit or experience, but upon who you know and what is said behind one's back. It appears to me that ethnic quotas within supervisory and management levels preempt merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice since I think the culture of apathy, complacency, neglect and unaccountability are so entrenched at all levels, it cannot be changed. There is no manager who will stand up and make a difference. SMUD needs a complete reorganization from top-to-bottom including the district board.

Management is Uninspiring-Glorified Hall Monitors

Enterprise Analyst (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsBenefits package, pay scale, vacation. A decent place.

ConsSad atmosphere. Employees are depressed, and paranoid. Executives and the SMUD board have an enlightened vision of creating a great company like Zappos or Google, but management is screwing it up.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example, commit to real leadership growth. Hall monitors are not leaders, leaders are born not trained. Lip service to values and culture doesn't count.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Employees are extremely political. Very little constructive work, but a lot of fingerpointing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsGood public sector benefits with little work

ConsLine Managers are biased and favor those who've been in the 'system'. (i.e. seniority). Work nor merit counts. Very difficult for any outsider to break through

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of dead wood looking milking the system and the 'entitlement' mindset

Good place to work

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsPeople stay and never leave, good job security

ConsPeople are very slow to respond, or do anything at all. Projects seem to take forever to complete, and then suddenly aren't needed.

I did not leave with a good feeling about the company but the employees are dedicated workers

Engineering Designer (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsTheoretically you have the opportunity to 'try' other positions within the company without any repercussions in your permanent position.

ConsAll employees are not given the same opportunities or protections. It is very much a 'who you know' type of company.

Advice to Senior ManagementProblem managers should be addressed, not reassigned.

Intern in SMUD

Intern (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsProvide you good training. Work in detailing separate department.

ConsNot found until now because of short interim.

Awful

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsGreat benefits, above average salaries, some people genuinely care about doing a good job.

ConsSMUD is obsessively focused on metrics that mean nothing to performance, The area heads and above play a game of "gotcha". I have great respect for the section level (first line) supervisors who must navigate the line between managers focused on CYA and entrenched clerical workers who have been there for 20+ years and refuse to learn new skills. If you are hired at SMUD, keep your head down, don't make waves, and collect your paycheck. Don't ever use the internet for personal use, even for a miniscule amount of time because SMUD monitors every keystroke and reads your email. It is a two-faced organization --the official face to employees is how upper management cares about fulfillment and engagement. The secret face is Gestapo-like. Be prepared to watch your back every minute. I left after 15 years...I could not take one more day.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop obsessing over metrics that mean nothing and focus on results. Do you ever wonder why the employee response rate to the annual survey is low? Because no one trusts you when you say it is anonymous! Stop micro managing and spying on employees.

Great place to be for the most part

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsCompetitive salaries, exceptional benefits (medical, dental, vision, health center, child care, 401k & 457, regional transit discount, car pool etc.), flexible work schedule, lots of parking, nice cafeteria, workers seem pretty happy in general.

ConsPeople don't leave until they retire, which means there's a low turnover. The people who have been there a long time and are not looking to advance their careers are often lazy and unhelpful. It's a shame there aren't more young, energetic and creative people working in such a potentially wonderful workplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey're doing a pretty good job!

What a great place to work

Senior Enterprise Analyst (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

Prosexcellent benefits and job opportunities.

ConsBusiness moves a little slower than the Private world

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people who do the work

Worked for Sacramento Municipal? Contribute to the Community!