Sacramento Public Library

Sacramento Public Library Reviews

8 reviews filtered by
3.5
CEO

1. Very rewarding work with strong support and good salaries.

Current Employee - Library Supervisor in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Library Supervisor in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sacramento Public Library full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Our paid time off policy that combines vacation with sick time into one usable bank is outstanding, as are all of our other benefits. It's pretty easy to get vacation time approved, and colleagues are wonderful to work with.

Cons

Training could definitely be better, and most learning happens on the job. Some managers are quite fearful of having the hard conversations required of them in their position.

2. In group/out group

I worked at Sacramento Public Library

Pros

Many of the staff are committed to their work, and there are opportunities to do creative things and advance quickly if you're in with the right people. New HR manager is dealing with the most egregious favoratism issues.

Cons

"In with the right people" is key. Whatever the director says is gospel, so you need to impress her or fly under the radar. People will sell you out to get in her good books.
    Decisions like transfers and promotions are made behind closed doors, with no real competitive process.

Advice to Management

Employees take their cues from you, and if you treat employees disrespectfully, they will too.

3. Not a lot of opportunity to grow.

Current Employee - Book Shelver in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Book Shelver in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sacramento Public Library part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Meeting new people both patrons, and staff alike. I liked learning more about the library on an insiders perspective and helping out with library programs.

Cons

Can be a very hostile environment, the people working there genuinely do not enjoy their job and exhibit a very stale condescending attitude towards others. Opportunity to advance is very limited.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a better way of promoting others on the inside, rather than leaving it up to people who generally meet with the person once before determining whether they are ready to be promoted; it is the branch supervisor who should make that decision. People should be promoted/ hired based on not only their experience but their enthusiasm to work with others, especially the public.

5. Library Services Assistant

Current Employee - Library Services Assistant in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sacramento Public Library part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Depending on the Branch Manager of the branch you are at, the work environment is wonderful. Possibility for advancement is good if you put more time into education the library helps you financially and with scheduling support to become a librarian. If you have difficulty with your manager you can easily move to another branch, several in house openings. Current Director is amazing.

Cons

Pay is low but consistent and bonuses are nonexistent. If you want to work at the library it must be for love of people, books and now computers. Some managers should be let go but are kept on and usually promoted. However, that has been changing due to a great new director. There are some factions in the system who believe her to be the devil himself but I have seen the same people say the same thing about every director (occasionally they were right).

Advice to Management

Current Director should be kept at all costs. Rivkah is the key to a real future for Sacramento Public Library, hold onto her, listen to her and stand behind her. I truly believe she will stay with the company which would be only beneficial to the city, county and state.

6. Nice Place to work at.

Current Contractor - Bookshelver in Sacramento, CA
    Current Contractor - Bookshelver in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Sacramento Public Library as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The employers are nice and love to help people find what they need. Flexible hours but with budget cuts...everyone is fighting for them.

Cons

I have nothing to say in the con section.

Advice to Management

n/a

7. good working environment

I have been working at Sacramento Public Library

Pros

near my home and nice workmate

Cons

picking up the book as the paging list need enough patient

8. automation

I have been working at Sacramento Public Library

Pros

When I started the pay was good but now it is half of that. It is wonderful to talk to people and get to know familiar customers who come back often.

Cons

The library is being automated to a point where we know our jobs will soon be obsolete. We do Librarian jobs with no compensation, RFID tags make checking out books so easy staff is not needed, some branches have machines to check in books, sort them and staff only need to shelve them. Some years soon that will be done by machine. Unless you intend to become a librarian there is no career ladder for an LSA. Shelvers have no career ladder either.
    Mostly you are there to do you back room work and help people with computers.

Advice to Management

Break the barriers of us and them. There is Admin and all the related staff and the rest of us. Create an environment where we are all one. Working toward a common goal, helping the public.

9. Pretty good but they definitely have favorites and it's good to get in with the management.

Current Employee - Librarian
    Current Employee - Librarian

I have been working at Sacramento Public Library

Pros

Everyone is usually friendly
    We haven't had any layoffs so far, where many other libraries have.
    I have had a lot of good of great supervisors here.

Cons

There is a lot of favoritism.
    Many benefits are about to be cut due to budget issues.