Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola

3.9

Susan Davis

Working at sacred heart

I have been working at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola

Pros

Patient interaction. Beautiful campus. Management strives to make the patient experience great. Newly renovated facilities. Non smoking campus

Cons

I can not think of any cons. This is a hospital so I was required to work on holidays and weekends. Support departments got contracted out to two different vendors in less than a year.

Really have enjoyed my time with the hospital

I have been working at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola

Pros

I'm a new Associate and very impressed with the culture of the hospital. Specifically appreciated the blessing of the hands.

Cons

Giving it sometime so that I can make a true and fair statement

Not What I Thought...VERY DISAPPOINTED!

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Milton, FL
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Milton, FL

I have been working at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and my particular physicians I work under.

Cons

I hired in with the Oncology dept. on Airport 3 years ago. I was so excited about my job as I was fresh out of school and I was going to work with one of the supposed best organizations in the southeast. Boy was I fooled. The management there is horrible. They don't listen to you if you have issues and if it is a major issue, they sweep it under the rug so as not to have to deal with it at all. Also if you aren't part of their little click, then you can hang up EVER getting a raise as I have been there 3 years without one. It's an act of congress to get time off, even to go to the doctor or dentist. I could go on and on but I don't have enough time in the day to tell all of it. Until Sacred Heart starts monitoring their mgmt better and starts listening to the employees that got them where they are today, they will continue to get reviews like this one from everyone.

Get your head out of your butt and listen to those who get you your big fat bonuses because Karma can be a horrible thing. Myself, as well as many others are looking for different jobs because of you.

You are expected to be perfect and perform perfectly

Former Employee - Senior Pharmacy Technician in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Pharmacy Technician in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Base pay was good, Shift-Diff-Pay was great, Health Insurance, 401K was great

Cons

Pharmacy Department is ALWAYS under-staffed and under-qualified. Stressful working conditions, 8hr working days turn into 10hr working days in order to finish all the work that is demanded from you-without any help. The view that Ascention Health portrays is quite different than the view that management gives. IF it were my company, I would want to know about these issues and get down to the problem and correct the issues. I would want to talk with the CEO about this, I made a complaint, and have yet to hear from HR, Im guessing at this point-they are to Large of a Hospital to care.

Build structure, fair wages, give employees time off, don't discourage time off requests just b/c other employees take advantage of calling in "sick". Apply a well-thought-out routine of duty's for each department, that can be done in a safe and efficient mode, educate employees with working skills needed for job specific areas-like IV room therapy. Management needs to stand up for the Pharm Techs that are over-loaded with daily tasks. support and Trust is a very lacking skill of Management-when outside departments complain, you need to get both sides of the story and don't jump to everyones demands/needs-and kill the messenger(Pharm Tech) in the process.

Great for beginners

Former Employee - Registered Medical Assistant in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Registered Medical Assistant in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great. School benefits, health benefits and also pay are great for someone beginning in the medical field.

Cons

management!!! There is a lot of being told how to do a job by persons who have no clinical experience. There are no consequences for those who break the rules.

Hire managers who know what they are doing!

Great place

Former Employee - Registration in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Registration in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work, friendly people, caring staff. Good pay and good benefits. Room to move up, training on the job.

Cons

There is a 20 word minimum requirement for the pro section but I'm not sure what to write. I guess a little more cooperation between the departments.

None

Great place to work for the most part.

Current Employee - Patient Accounts Representative in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Patient Accounts Representative in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are great to work with, benefits are good, very flexible with paid time off and a supportive atmosphere.

Cons

There is little room for growth, there are not many opportunities to move to other positions or move up. Management seems concerned yet has little follow through.

So much potential, sadly unrealized

Current Employee - STaff Registered Nurse in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - STaff Registered Nurse in Pensacola, FL

Pros

Immense corporate "mother ship" (Ascension Health) means the organization has deep pockets and can weather uncertain financial climates better than some smaller hospitals. Involvement in local charities and benefit organizations. Benefit package is decent, especially in the era of skyrocketing health insurance deductibles. Compensation is average for the area. Willingness to improve on and invest in facilities/equipment. Constantly expanding.

There's an underlying sense that the organization *wants* to do the right thing, but fails to understand how, exactly, to go about doing so.

Cons

Staffing in some patient-care areas borders on unsafe. Any sense of "timeliness" in terms of patient care is laughable. A "hands-off" approach from senior leadership means that middle management is inconsistent and often sub-par. Some areas have ample supplies and staffing, while other areas scrape by and often reuse single-use equipment. Time-off policies are unevenly enforced, and low-performers are tolerated in some areas (possibly related to tenure?).

Remember that it takes a satisfied employee to create a satisfied customer. You've made strides forward in improving facilities and equipment. Now take the next step and get rid of the low performers and mediocrity (yes, even at the management level) that are bogging down a system that has so much potential.

There are ancillary departments (laboratory is a prime example) dictating patient care - this should *never* be the case. An iStat device will give me basic chemistry and cardiac enzymes in minutes - why do I have to wait upwards of an hour for lab to do the same, particularly when they have "more advanced" equipment?

Quality patient care costs. You've opened your checkbook for a new tower, for new bedside and telemetry monitors, and new IV pumps, but sometimes we barely have the staff to use these items. Understand that "doing more with less" is feasible only to a certain point. The days of miraculously feeding the multitudes with a few loaves and fishes are long past.

Patient Care Technician speaks!

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola full-time (more than a year)

Pros

* Well-designed hospital located centrally to Pensacola
    * Management depends on which department you work in. Mine was well run. It can vary though.
    * Benefits came with the position which gave a sense of assurance in case of a emergency.
    * The patients for the most part were extremely grateful and appreciative of the care that was given.
    * Good job for networking reasons if your in nursing school and want to get a job as a floor nurse in that department.

Cons

* The quality and personalities of the nurses could vary greatly. Some were born to be nurses. Some were Nurse Ratchets.
    * The work (which involved the cleaning and basic hygiene needs) was physically and mentally taxing. It could be subtle and minor to the extreme of extremes. I have dealt with and seen pretty much all of what the body does under various stages of decay and decline. This job is not for one with a weak constitution or stomach. Above all this is a job that is about helping unfortunate and ill patients who are people, so your compassion must be there or you wont last long.
    * The phones that you carry so that you can be reached quickly will begin to annoy you to the extremes. You hate cleaning a patient up and getting a call about another patient that needs cleaning or assistance to the bathroom when your doing all that you can do, especially when your short staffed.
    * The nurses can become "tech-dependent" and will call you for a job they could do but decide to offload for some reason.

Medical Assistant

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola full-time (more than a year)

Pros

8-5 type of job Monday through Friday. Great benefits and bonuses.

Cons

Management does not perform their job! Other medical assistants were committing errors that put patients at risk and when brought to the attention of management nothing was done to correct the problem.

Hire a manager who has experience or background as an ma or cna or nurse.