Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
3.7

Susan Davis

Patient Care Technician speaks!

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician  in  Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Well-designed hospital located centrally to Pensacola
    * Management depends on which department you work in. Mine was well run. It can vary though.
    * Benefits came with the position which gave a sense of assurance in case of a emergency.
    * The patients for the most part were extremely grateful and appreciative of the care that was given.
    * Good job for networking reasons if your in nursing school and want to get a job as a floor nurse in that department.

Cons

* The quality and personalities of the nurses could vary greatly. Some were born to be nurses. Some were Nurse Ratchets.
    * The work (which involved the cleaning and basic hygiene needs) was physically and mentally taxing. It could be subtle and minor to the extreme of extremes. I have dealt with and seen pretty much all of what the body does under various stages of decay and decline. This job is not for one with a weak constitution or stomach. Above all this is a job that is about helping unfortunate and ill patients who are people, so your compassion must be there or you wont last long.
    * The phones that you carry so that you can be reached quickly will begin to annoy you to the extremes. You hate cleaning a patient up and getting a call about another patient that needs cleaning or assistance to the bathroom when your doing all that you can do, especially when your short staffed.
    * The nurses can become "tech-dependent" and will call you for a job they could do but decide to offload for some reason.

So much potential, sadly unrealized

Current Employee - STaff Registered Nurse  in  Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - STaff Registered Nurse in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Immense corporate "mother ship" (Ascension Health) means the organization has deep pockets and can weather uncertain financial climates better than some smaller hospitals. Involvement in local charities and benefit organizations. Benefit package is decent, especially in the era of skyrocketing health insurance deductibles. Compensation is average for the area. Willingness to improve on and invest in facilities/equipment. Constantly expanding.

There's an underlying sense that the organization *wants* to do the right thing, but fails to understand how, exactly, to go about doing so.

Cons

Staffing in some patient-care areas borders on unsafe. Any sense of "timeliness" in terms of patient care is laughable. A "hands-off" approach from senior leadership means that middle management is inconsistent and often sub-par. Some areas have ample supplies and staffing, while other areas scrape by and often reuse single-use equipment. Time-off policies are unevenly enforced, and low-performers are tolerated in some areas (possibly related to tenure?).

Remember that it takes a satisfied employee to create a satisfied customer. You've made strides forward in improving facilities and equipment. Now take the next step and get rid of the low performers and mediocrity (yes, even at the management level) that are bogging down a system that has so much potential.

There are ancillary departments (laboratory is a prime example) dictating patient care - this should *never* be the case. An iStat device will give me basic chemistry and cardiac enzymes in minutes - why do I have to wait upwards of an hour for lab to do the same, particularly when they have "more advanced" equipment?

Quality patient care costs. You've opened your checkbook for a new tower, for new bedside and telemetry monitors, and new IV pumps, but sometimes we barely have the staff to use these items. Understand that "doing more with less" is feasible only to a certain point. The days of miraculously feeding the multitudes with a few loaves and fishes are long past.

Medical Assistant

Former Employee - Medical Assistant  in  Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola full-time for more than a year

Pros

8-5 type of job Monday through Friday. Great benefits and bonuses.

Cons

Management does not perform their job! Other medical assistants were committing errors that put patients at risk and when brought to the attention of management nothing was done to correct the problem.

Hire a manager who has experience or background as an ma or cna or nurse.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overworked underpaid

Former Employee - Patient Access Supervisor  in  Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Patient Access Supervisor in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Learning about the revenue cycle

Cons

Not getting paid what I am worth.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Boutique Coordinator  in  Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Boutique Coordinator in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very considerate of employees great place to have a good time. Treated with respect. They were always their for employees

Cons

Never got lunch on time

None

Wonderful

I have been working at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola

Pros

Meet interesting people, department helps with personal growth, great staff overall, great schedule, fair pay, overall Sacred is an amazing place to work

Cons

Certain people that don't work well are allowed to keep their job even though they don't follow any of the rules. They talk/text on their phone, surf the web, and have inappropriate outbursts/conversations with their coworkers and nothing is done because they were friends with the supervisor or because they were a team lead.

went downhill after the sisters left. It's all about profit now, not the patients

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The workplace is clean. They are a smoke free workplace.They have subway, starbucks, and wendys inside the building. They had yearly fairs.

Cons

No room for growth. New people getting hired in at higher rates than employees who worked there for 10 years. Too much BS tolerated by upper management. Managers were limited to offices and did not do work with the staff members.

Do our jobs and see what it is like

Nice charitable work but low pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Charitable hospital - will approve patients for uncompensated care and will then completely cover all of those patient's medical bills for the fiscal year. I have seen cancer patients with limited insurance plans completely turn down life-saving treatment due to the potential financial hardships they will occur due to the cost of the treatment - until they are told about the uncompensated care availability.

Cons

Do not pay loyal employees enough. I am forced to leave because I cannot justify staying for the extremely low pay.

Good Place to Work

I worked at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola full-time

Pros

A lot of good people work there. Good salary and benefits

Cons

Too much remote control by out-of-state corporate office.

Remember your Faith-based legacy and do the right thing.

I worked in the purchasing department and had a wonderful experience. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer

I have been working at Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everybody I met was very nice and helpful. I felt like a valued employee.

Cons

I didn't notice any downsides, but I only worked during the summer.

The upper management I dealt with was very friendly and professional.

Worked for Sacred Heart Hospital of Pensacola? Contribute to the Community!