Sacred Heart University

www.sacredheart.edu

Sacred Heart University Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Sacred Heart University – San Juan – “Sacred Heart Universty”

Physical Therapy School

ProsPBL, excellent staff/faculty, up to date research, manual based learning

ConsNo bad experiences working for the university as a student.

Friendly yet professional environment, less chances of growth

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) Fairfield, CT

ProsGreat work/life balance, very friendly colleagues and staff. Everyone ready to help you and very flexible to needs. I would say it is one of the best workplaces to be in.

ConsGrowth opportunities are scanty, after some time, career would stagnate. Not very good for a part-timer, especially if ambitious and looking for soaring career.

Where careers go to die...

ProsFree/discounted classes and almost nothing else, although I guess it depends what department you work in.

ConsWorkload, salary, time-off "blackout dates," no room for advancement, office politics (this one is huge)

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time on culture. Things are way too political and it's discouraging. If someone isn't doing their job, fire them--it doesn't matter how long they've worked there. Allow people to utilize their vacation days and I suspect you'll get better productivity out of them in the long run.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst Place I've Ever Worked

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCampus is attractive. Library staff is very helpful.

ConsIt's a culture of complacency, rudeness and a general air of unprofessionalism permeates every department. People don't return phone calls/ emails, are unwilling to compromise and are generally just interested in clocking in and clocking out while complaining about their low wages every chance they get. I've witnessed lying and cheating. It's a truly awful environment. Note: This is staff I refer to. I have met some very wonderful faculty.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean House! You are losing money through inefficiencies and lazy people. There is zero accountability.

Admissions

ProsSummers are great. It is an environment that will definitely keep you thinking and moving. Office is fun and has its good moments.

ConsTravel a lot. On the road during the fall and spring at a wide variety of college fairs. Being told to do 7 different things while you are traveling makes for an unhappy work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about employees, not just about numbers. Very number driven, when the employees are the one obtaining the numbers.

Choose anywhere but here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNo pros to work here - very low level environment

ConsNo leadership, non-existent expertise, unethical in terms of hiring ignoring equal opportunity guidelines, financially motivated without delivering quality product

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time for the trustees to clean house of administration and hire high level leadership who surrounds themselves with quality personnel - not friends who cover up the unethical business dealings

Dont work here if you have ambition or brains

IT (Former Employee) Fairfield, CT

ProsGreat schedule and time off

ConsDealing with the very obnoxious students and their parents, inept management, incredibly low pay. Most people who left Sacred Heart and moved onto another company have never looked back. Most jobs here are stepping stone jobs to other higher paying jobs in your future. Co-worker are stubbornly tough to deal with at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake Sacred Heart a place that people want to work at again. There is so much potential in the organization to have a smart and sophisticated work environment

Great people work here, tough for growth opportunities

Associate Director of Admissions (Former Employee) Fairfield, CT

ProsGreat campus and student body. Employees are very close and all very kind

ConsSalary is fairly low and it is tough to advance your career due to limited opportunities

adjunct for over a year

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) Fairfield, CT

Prospretty campus, frequent (catered) professional development meetings; robust support from IT, my dept. and boss are wonderful

Consparking is often a problem, no tuition reimb. for adjuncts or benefits of any kind, some lazy students

Advice to Senior Managementthink about supporting your adjuncts , since they do SO much of the actual teaching at SHU, have Public Safety monitor the staff parking lot, because it's full of non-staff cars

Fair place to work, but not great.

ProsDepending on your dept/unit and supervisor, flexible schedules and reasonable policies. I happen to have a good one.

ConsRun by an old boys' network, lots of older white men with big egos in administrator positions. Not many women or minorities in decision making positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the pay of your administrators and put that money into better use, pay your staff members (the people who actually get work done & implement the bluster & ideas of the "bigwigs") better.

Worked for Sacred Heart University? Contribute to the Community!