Saddleback College Reviews

CEO

1. Sales

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Saddleback College (More than 5 years)

Pros

The money was right on.

Cons

My passion is Project Management.

2. An okay place to work, not a lifelong career company

Current Employee - Project Specialist in Mission Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Project Specialist in Mission Viejo, CA

Pros

The pay is okay. I work in the computer lab, so the job is easy.

Cons

No room for growth. My pay was decreased after working here for 6 months, for no other reason than to save the company money.

Advice to Management

Pay your people well and give them opportunities for growth.

3. Graphics & Publications shady practices

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mission Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mission Viejo, CA

I worked at Saddleback College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting projects for great clients in Fine Arts, Counseling, etc. Most campus clients treat you well with respect and appreciation for your help. Great benefits if your supervisor allows you to use them without giving you a hard time (vacation, sick days). Hours are 8am to 5pm with next to no overtime.

Cons

This is not a "sour grapes" review by a dissatisfied former employee... I merely want to warn others who might get taken in like myself and many before me. As I have come to realize, Graphics & Publications has a history of engaging in shady practices by hiring people on a one-year "probation" status and then not extending them so they won't be able to join the union and protect themselves from poor treatment. Employees with tenure get away with poor performance, coming in late, lots of personal dramas & time out of the office, etc. while probationary employees can't even take sick days for valid illness without being verbally abused & openly accused of trying to avoid work and being irresponsible. An underlying mean-spirited attitude by senior employees towards campus clients as well as towards new employees. You will be expected to perform perfectly on the most difficult projects even though you are hired at the lowest rung on the ladder. I have worked in the design field for over 20 years and this is the most unprofessional situation I've ever been in.

Advice to Management

Try treating people with respect and you might be surprised at what you get in return. If you expect absolute perfection from new employees but don't expect the same from senior employees, you are fooling yourself by thinking things will run smoothly.

5. A great place to work

Pros

Saddleback is a true community where all who work there will receive help if needed. It is a strong college and district.

Cons

As a government-funded school, sometimes funds are scarce for all needs.

6. Nice environment, if you can handle the red tape

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mission Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mission Viejo, CA

Pros

Benefits are excellent, permanent employees are afforded job security

Cons

Management is out of touch with staff and students, bureaucracy is unwieldy, shared governance groups on campus make change nearly impossible and spend most of their time battling for power. People are undervalued and performance is rarely recognized--lazy folks get away with not doing much work.

Advice to Management

Cut the bureaucracy as much as possible and streamline operations--we don't need 8 committee meetings to get a single thing done!

7. Large gap between upper level and lower level employees

Former Employee - Project Specialist in Mission Viejo, CA
    Former Employee - Project Specialist in Mission Viejo, CA

Pros

Nice people, beautiful campus, great location. I loved the impact my project had on the people who it was for. There were great social events as well, lunches and get togethers that allowed me to interact with other employees.

Cons

Not really much room for advancement, hard to get ideas heard or approved. Also being a temporary employee, the union extremely limited the status of my employment (ie if you are not a permanent employee, you cannot work a full work week and are only allowed to work a certain number of days and hours per year).

Advice to Management

Listen to the peons. They have good ideas.

RSS Feed </> Embed