Safeco

Be The First To
Add Photos

Safeco President Matthew D. Nickerson

Matthew D. Nickerson

Pros
  • Great work life balance, amazing salary, career opportinities and upward mobility(in 15 reviews)

• You will end up working overtime when you get into a project, but most managers are very flexible if you need to leave early or work from home(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Merging of several different companies that have been acquired by Liberty Mutual(in 18 reviews)

• Workload is completely unreasonable, no work-life balance(in 5 reviews)

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood work/life balance, management lets you pave your own path as long as you are a hard worker and show good results. Time off polices are very fair, really good training.

ConsConstant leadership changes, managers can be fair, but some may be a little too hands off. You really have to push back on management to obtain a promotion, regardless of your performance. There are a lot of changes, and not all are communicated clearly.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep work/life balance important!

This is a dumping ground for contracted adjusters

Contractor (Current Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsNice location, adequate claims management system.

ConsUnrealistic expectations met with an extremely tight budget is a recipe for disaster. Receiving almost 100 new claims and *hostile* transfers (from the Safeco staff) within a two week period, along with receiving hot claims in which their own staff could not handle and thus dumped them on new staff under contracts is a set-up for failure. Claim volume was very high yet management would only allow a contractor no more than 5 hours of overtime a week. It is a incredibly dysfunctional operation and operates under an enmeshed Safeco staff only culture. Double standards really exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you even try to give them advise, you are shown the door.

It was a journey but in the end it was an overall positive experience.

Personal Lines Underwriter (Former Employee) Duluth, GA

ProsRecognition and work life balance can happen here.

ConsSometimes the work felt transactional so you have to opt for projects and getting involved to keep you sharp and motivated.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees and let them know you're there for their benefit too.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience at Safeco was time well spent

Market Development Frontline Underwiting (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat work life balance, amazing salary, career opportinities and upward mobility.

ConsVery little micro management. Mostly positive.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership was amazing. No advice.

Benefits are better since being bought by Liberty Mutual, but processes make the job difficult.

Inside Auto Representative (Former Employee) Duluth, GA

ProsGreat benefits, somewhat flexible with paid time off.

ConsThe work processes put in place make the work double or triple. The caseloads are excessively high and management is not able to give assistance. Since trying to make processes uniform, it has increased the time it takes to complete a claim. Still yet, they expect the same output as before. The metrics in which you are measured also are not attainable.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to help employees that are struggling instead of saying, "keep trying."

Good Culture

Liability Injury Adjuster (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsLeadership down, had an attitude of "do the right thing"

ConsThere was some lack of clear processes and expectation for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on your culture

Good people in a tough work environment

Intraday Business Analyst (Former Employee) Bothell, WA

ProsNon-24hr call center, made work life balance good

ConsManager had no experience in our roles, thus had no understanding of the everyday requirements.

Senior Executive Assistant

Senior IT Executive Assistant/PM (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsTrusted and respected for my professionalism, work ethics and skillset.

ConsN/A As a professional, what may be considered to some as a downside really comes with the position.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide as much advance time as possible to keep staff informed...last minute can be more challenging than needed.

NOT LOYAL AT ALL

Claims Specialist (Current Employee) Walnut Creek, CA

Pros- Some good employees to work with and get to know that become friends.
    - Flexible working hours that help for employees that have long commutes.

ConsThe company promotes those from within that have mediocre work ethics and terrible people skills while the employees that work extremely hard are passed over. No overtime pay which is unfair since employees work 10-25 hours of overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould try to recognize the employees that work hard and not those employees that bring treats to the office.

Very laid back, if you like to be left alone you can work here

Claims Examiner (Current Employee)

ProsVery good pay and benefits, lots of paid time off, management lets you do your job and make your own decisions, Technology is good - modern computer systems, has been paperless for 10 yrs - before it was the "in" thing.

ConsWorkload is completely unreasonable, no work-life balance. High volume, high stress. Since being bought by much larger company, Liberty Mutual: bad communication, processes are over involved, lots of red tape, getting things done takes a long time and lots of overlapping repeat work.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts great that you reward the high performers, but you need to fix the under performers who spend years just squeaking by

Worked for Safeco? Contribute to the Community!