Safeco Reviews

Reset
3.2
Safeco President Matthew D. Nickerson
Matthew D. Nickerson

Pros
  • Good people; long standing company with good work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Work from home, company car, compensation, hours of work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Overall there's a bit of a feeling of forebarance that the jobs will be moving to Boston as Safeco continues to merge with Liberty Mutual (in 19 reviews)

• Upper management continues to implement baffling procedures (in 5 reviews)

1. Personal Auto Claims Adjuster Non Injury

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Safeco (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is comparable to other insurance carriers

Cons

Downtown office, have to commute via bus and not subsidized

Advice to Management

n/a

2. Property Adjuster

I worked at Safeco full-time

Pros

Co-workers were great. Loved the team I worked on.

Cons

Management was not positive towards employees. Company became completely numbers driven and did not focus on customers. Stress was rampant. Impossible to complete your work within regular working hours. Very heavy turnover.

Advice to Management

At least pretend to appreciate and care about your employees.

3. Inside Auto Rep

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden, CO

I worked at Safeco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were great. Everyone was friendly and that was what kept me there as long as I stayed.

Cons

The claims volume was absolutely ridiculous. We would get between 15 and 25 claims every Monday. It front loaded the week and you never got anything done but new claims. Management was exclusively reactionary. Improvements were done so slow that staffing became an issue before any problems would be fixed. People literally quit because nothing was done to fix obvious issues with obvious solutions.

Advice to Management

Be proactive and be transparent. Stop the lip service and live up to your promises. Work more overtime is not a long term solution.

5. Field claims

I have been working at Safeco

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Very demanding, but rewarding experience

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

6. High Expectations

I have been working at Safeco

Pros

A solid company that provides good benefits to employees, generous vacation and a decent profit-sharing program,flexible work hours depending on department.

Cons

Safeco,a subsidiary of Liberty Mutual is an ok place to work. I am a current employee. The company does do a fairly amount of reorganization so if you are thinking about applying, keep in mind that your work might get moved across the country just because upper management thinks that is a smart thing to do.

The company expects a lot of their employees and are constantly wanting more production out of people. Many of my co-workers are not happy with the high expectations but we need our jobs.

Advice to Management

Think about people's lives and families before you transfer whole departments 1,000's of miles away. We want to provide our customers great service.

7. Gold Customer Service Representitive

Current Employee - Gold Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Gold Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Safeco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for area. Good benefits. Steady increase in wages. Generous with Paid Time Off. Other companies eager to exploit the training you receive if you start shopping around for another job.

Cons

The position your start with is very likely going to be one you are stuck in for a long time. Despite a lot of company focus and talk on "your development" it seems to serve more as lip service because movement seems minimal and there are lots of people who've had your job for years and years. You may need to hop to a more advanced position with another company rather than wait around.

8. Marketing Representative

Former Employee - Medical Records & Research/Personal Inyury Investigator in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Safeco (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very solid company. I enjoyed working with the independent agents in my field. Also, Safeco was always working on new products to help expand business or to convince other agencies to sign up with us.

Cons

At the time I was with Safeco, there was constant friction in the St. Louis Division and the Kansas City Branch Office. It did not create a good atmosphere to help each other.

Advice to Management

With the purchase of Safeco, by Liberty Mutual, I'm sure there have been a lot of changes in the Safeco. However, to be with one of the most admired insurance companies in the business and being purchased by a bigger company, with a good reputation, there should be opportunities and the hard challenge of Safeco employees, being tied to Safeco and not Liberty Mutual/Safeco will take time to come together.

9. csr

Former Employee - Csr1 in Liberty Lake, WA
    Former Employee - Csr1 in Liberty Lake, WA

I worked at Safeco

Pros

on site cafeteria. 45 min lunch. friendly co workers

Cons

management is not helpful.. big brother atmosphere. micro manage

Advice to Management

listen to what employees have to say.

10. I loved this job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Safeco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was employed at Safeco (then with Liberty Mutual) for seven years. The people here are really the selling point. As always in a big company, there are decisions and decision-makers that drive you nuts. But I met a lot of people here that I'm still good friends with. Great environment. Great pay. I might not have ever left if they hadn't moved my department to another city.

Cons

Getting laid off is a big one, but the severance was fair. The biggest challenge the company faces now is Liberty's continuing effort to consolidate operations in Boston. A lot of good people are looking around right now. There's uncertainty.

Advice to Management

Despite being laid off, I have no real complaints. The company seems to attract some good people.

11. Auto claims adjuster

Former Employee - Bodily Injury Claims Adjuster in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Bodily Injury Claims Adjuster in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Safeco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was close to home. They love to bribe employees with free food.. Good savings plan, discount on car, and home insurance.

Cons

Workload is unrealistic. They are numbers driven. Super stressful work environment.

RSS Feed </> Embed