Safeco

Safeco President Matthew D. Nickerson

Matthew D. Nickerson

43 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very good company

Claims Adjuster (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGood office culture of teamwork. Excellent insurance benefits. I enjoyed the company luncheons and other positive events.

ConsToo much bureaucracy at times. Regional office sometimes lacked autonomy as Home office could hamstring Regional offices. Compensation was ok but not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to improve.

Treated well but bored to death

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits. Job security. Smart, professional co-workers

ConsFor me, the work was very boring. Because each department was so specialized, there weren't a lot of learning or growth opportunities.

Acceptable place to work but massive realignments are changing that

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsDepends what group you are working in. Every group I've found people willing to be helpful in either teaching a skill or quick help on a projects. Generally everyone is friendly although it can feel a little isolated unless you're willing to reach out first.

Benefits package and working hours are nice. You will end up working overtime when you get into a project, but most managers are very flexible if you need to leave early or work from home.

There's quite a bit of tenure of employees which helps with historical/tribal knowledge. As an effect of the higher tenure, the employees are generally in the mid-30s and older.

ConsAgain, depends on the group. Overall there's a bit of a feeling of forebarance that the jobs will be moving to Boston as Safeco continues to merge with Liberty Mutual. Most groups don't have formal trainings although there have been efforts to improve this. To learn your role, you'll have to reach out and ask to shadow peers or flounder around until someone offers help.

As an analyst, I've found my projects to be occationally underappreciated since most employees aren't as data centric as you'd find in other large companies in the area.

The exception is Product Management. Analytics is highly favored although, due to overworking, there isn't much time to do deep analysis. Working overtime is very common to try and keep up with a normal workload. There's also been a lot of transition so training and tool maintenance is lacking. Product is also one of the youngest groups with the lowest tenure.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the sense of pride in our work and well as a focus on long term benefits instead of lots of short-term busy work.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience at Safeco was time well spent

Market Development Frontline Underwiting (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGreat work life balance, amazing salary, career opportinities and upward mobility.

ConsVery little micro management. Mostly positive.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership was amazing. No advice.

Good Culture

Liability Injury Adjuster (Former Employee)
    Redmond, WA

ProsLeadership down, had an attitude of "do the right thing"

ConsThere was some lack of clear processes and expectation for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on your culture

Good people in a tough work environment

Intraday Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Bothell, WA

ProsNon-24hr call center, made work life balance good

ConsManager had no experience in our roles, thus had no understanding of the everyday requirements.

Senior Executive Assistant

Senior IT Executive Assistant/PM (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsTrusted and respected for my professionalism, work ethics and skillset.

ConsN/A As a professional, what may be considered to some as a downside really comes with the position.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide as much advance time as possible to keep staff informed...last minute can be more challenging than needed.

Well run company and nice working environment.

IT Analyst (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGood benefits and nice people. Also 40 hour weeks contribute to a good work and life balance. 401k plan is good. If you like the insurance industry then this company will provide you with an opportunity to learn.

Consvery structured environment that sometimes inhibits getting things done quickly

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees for their good ideas

A nice place to waste your life

Seattle, WA

ProsA good place to learn about insurance. If you just want a job where you can get lost in the shuffle and say the right things to get along, this company is for you. I don't know if this is a pro or a con, but I have never worked with so many great people (non- management) who are so miserable at work. The job is really thankless. I kind of feel like we're all wasting our lives together. Misery loves company I guess. The best course of action is to use them as a training ground and then leave.

ConsManagement turnover, unclear goals (goals are constantly changing for no apparent reason), a promotion is a moving target, preference towards younger people and males (over 40's are passed up for special projects and committees even though they have the most knowledge), so-so compensation. They pay you a living wage, but barely if you have a family. Everything seems to be a popularity contest. The same people win "awards" time after time. The managers will take the agents' word for anything without hearing your side of it. There is so much emphasis on "our agency partners," that the employee is made to feel like a second-class citizen. Your manager definitely DOES NOT have your back.

Advice to Senior ManagementMatt Nickerson is one of the most pompous people I've ever met. Every speech or presentation ends in him talking about himself. If an employee asks him a question he doesn't like or can't answer, he blows them off - rudely. It makes you afraid to ask him anything. Whatever he's making, he's over-paid. His underlings are also over-paid so they love their jobs and will bow to the almighty dollar every time. Again, management does not have your back here at Safeco.

Great people, if they're not to high up.

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGreat people to work with. A great work/life balance

ConsIf you have to work with an Assistant Director or higher, they probably have no clue what is going on in the trenches. There focus is on making changes. Change for change sake...

Advice to Senior ManagementThin out the ranks of middle/upper management and hire a few that actually understand people and the product.

Worked for Safeco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Safeco reviews and ratings in Seattle, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Safeco CEO Matthew D. Nickerson. All 43 reviews posted anonymously by Safeco employees.