Safeguard Properties

Updated October 19, 2014
2.1

Safeguard Properties CEO Alan Jaffa
Alan Jaffa

Pros
  • Decent pay and you will meet some very good people (in 3 reviews)

• You get to meet a lot of different people, and you can set your own hours being a field inspector (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems blind to what middle management is doing (in 6 reviews)

• They hire people for roles they need but will not empower them to do the job (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Where else can employees with lOw skill sets go?

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Safeguard Properties full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Safeguard gives employees who.are barely qualified to work at McDonald's such good training and beneifts?

Cons

Same as every other organization

my review

I have been working at Safeguard Properties

Pros

good for independent contractor workers

Cons

sometimes run short of work

I worked at Safeguard Properties

Pros

If you want to see lots of foreclosed houses and lose money while doing it, go ahead and take the risk.

Cons

The liability insurance from their 3 chosen brokers will cost you $ 1200. to $ 1900. per year. You get paid $ 3 to $8 to inspect a property. You pay the cost of your background check. Many inspections require you to confront the homeowner at their door with a message from the lender. Very dangerous. The 50 photos on interior inspections may take nearly an hour to complete. Way less than minimum wage. You will beat up your car, safeguard does not pay mileage. If you dont follow any of their hundreds of inspection requirements, they will kick back the inspection and you go back to the property at your expense or you dont get your $ 3. You are self employed, but they treat you like an employee. The training consists of listening to a 2 hour phone conference call and printing out 200 pages on your printer. DO NOT DO IT. It is way more than just taking a few pictures at a property. You will end up feeling like you are a volunteer. It may cover your gas, but you wont put anything in your bank. Your car will be trashed. The inspector actually ends up underwriting the costs of the lenders inspection process. You have been warned.

Pay your self employed inspectors and give them the money they deserve for their time, use of their vehicles and the danger from confronting angry homeowners. Inspecting for Safeguard is a loser,

Poor

Former Employee - Property Preservation Specialist in Mentor, OH
    Former Employee - Property Preservation Specialist in Mentor, OH

I worked at Safeguard Properties full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay
    Nice team leads
    Cool parties and employee activity days

Cons

Mandatory overtime
    Poor management
    Management wants to sleep with all the girls

Please start listening to your employees more

Do NOT work for this company

Former Employee - Any in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Any in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Safeguard Properties as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

None. Stay very far away.

Cons

Horrible company. Paltry pay. Medieval management.

Close your doors now. You are horrible. You take advantage of everyone you come into contact with.

Not all bad...

Former Employee - P&P Specialist in Mentor, OH
    Former Employee - P&P Specialist in Mentor, OH

I worked at Safeguard Properties full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was a P&P Specialist and thought the work was interesting. The pay was pretty decent for this area. The Team Lead I had was fantastic and he was also very knowledgeable and helpful.

Cons

The usual buddy system that most call centers have. If you are friendly with one person you get the benefits. Conflict within management was a huge problem. Training was great initially but after they moved us to a new department the training was minimal and we were expected to do a job we were unsure of. Work life was not good. Mandatory overtime is tough to do when you have a family. The benefits were VERY expensive.

Training is important. In my opinion the Mentor location lost a lot of really great employees in a matter of a couple months because the training was SO poor and many felt the promotion methods were a bit unfair.

Serious lack of oversight from management really shows in worker performance.

Former Employee - Field Service Representative in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Field Service Representative in Phila, PA

I worked at Safeguard Properties as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You get to meet a lot of different people, and you can set your own hours being a field inspector.

Cons

The management is really unprofessional and has unrealistic expectations most times. May not realize the hours spent on the road combined with vehicle wear and tear and intangibles you end up not making much money. Some "clients" you encounter on the job will attack you physically for being on their property or call the police. Most REO houses you have to go inside to inspect have black mold on walls let alone all the other decrepit things in abandoned houses.

Get over yourselves, do not have ghetto attitude people running districts.

Never a dull moment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Safeguard Properties full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company definitely believes in promoting from within. In addition, they offer very generous PTO after working 90 days (for hourly employees) and immediately to salaried employees.

Cons

Some of the management is inadequately trained, and there is a lot of favoritism, which lacks professionalism. Too much overtime is required, and sometimes life situations don't allow for it, which can ultimately result in unfair termination.

Provide more leadership training before promoting from within. Offer the same opportunities to all employees displaying the required skill set.

Too busy expanding to take care of their employees.

Former Employee - REO SPECIALIST in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - REO SPECIALIST in Richardson, TX

I worked at Safeguard Properties full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice company culture. Good benefits.

Cons

Always asking for more work for less money.

I don't have any advice.

Stay Away Unless You Need The Work

Former Employee - Inspector in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Inspector in Chicago, IL

I worked at Safeguard Properties part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like the type of work, it allows you to understand the market if you're planning on getting into real estate

Cons

No Benefits, no respect and very low pay. Safeguard was only paying me 2 per property and sending 50 - 55 properties per day minus about 30 in gas a day. The company would sometimes reject payment on properties because of a photo being too dark and refuse to pay unless I went back out to the property for the same 2 dollars.

I last 5 months I couldnt take the constant changes in policies towards there photos or inspection guide lines and the failure to pay for all the home (there was always excuses on pay day).

Have respect for your inspectors stop taking advantage of the job market. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Everyone has to make money but try to make it in a more honest way. I frowned at the government as well since the majority of their properties are government owned for not bring this to their attention or asking them to show more respect to their employees as a customer or account they can make strict guidelines for safeguard to operate under being their main customer.