Safeguard Properties

Be The First To
Add Photos

Safeguard Properties CEO Alan Jaffa

Alan Jaffa

Pros
  • Decent pay and you will meet some very good people(in 3 reviews)

• You get to meet a lot of different people, and you can set your own hours being a field inspector(in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems blind to what middle management is doing(in 6 reviews)

• Just do some research on their business practices(in 2 reviews)

Not all bad...

P&P Specialist (Former Employee) Mentor, OH

ProsI was a P&P Specialist and thought the work was interesting. The pay was pretty decent for this area. The Team Lead I had was fantastic and he was also very knowledgeable and helpful.

ConsThe usual buddy system that most call centers have. If you are friendly with one person you get the benefits. Conflict within management was a huge problem. Training was great initially but after they moved us to a new department the training was minimal and we were expected to do a job we were unsure of. Work life was not good. Mandatory overtime is tough to do when you have a family. The benefits were VERY expensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining is important. In my opinion the Mentor location lost a lot of really great employees in a matter of a couple months because the training was SO poor and many felt the promotion methods were a bit unfair.

Serious lack of oversight from management really shows in worker performance.

Field Service Representative (Former Employee) Phila, PA

ProsYou get to meet a lot of different people, and you can set your own hours being a field inspector.

ConsThe management is really unprofessional and has unrealistic expectations most times. May not realize the hours spent on the road combined with vehicle wear and tear and intangibles you end up not making much money. Some "clients" you encounter on the job will attack you physically for being on their property or call the police. Most REO houses you have to go inside to inspect have black mold on walls let alone all the other decrepit things in abandoned houses.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourselves, do not have ghetto attitude people running districts.

Never a dull moment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsThe company definitely believes in promoting from within. In addition, they offer very generous PTO after working 90 days (for hourly employees) and immediately to salaried employees.

ConsSome of the management is inadequately trained, and there is a lot of favoritism, which lacks professionalism. Too much overtime is required, and sometimes life situations don't allow for it, which can ultimately result in unfair termination.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more leadership training before promoting from within. Offer the same opportunities to all employees displaying the required skill set.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too busy expanding to take care of their employees.

REO SPECIALIST (Former Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsNice company culture. Good benefits.

ConsAlways asking for more work for less money.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have any advice.

Good Experience.....So far

Title Estimator (Current Employee) Brooklyn Heights, OH

ProsGreat shift (M-F 8:00-4:30), good starting wage. management is courteous and helpful.

ConsNot enough people to answer questions. QC takes off points for things you weren't even aware of. Stressful at times. You speed at completing tasks is often valued over your accuracy. I respect the negative reviews, but, in all honesty, I have had the opposite experience. I work at the Brooklyn Hts. location. I really hope that my experience will not change dramatically when we move out there next week. First, your day goes by quickly. There's a lot to do, and you're never short of work. All the people in senior positions are super nice and appreciate your work. I've never been with such a laid back company, except Apple. Today, for instance, we received an extra half hour break to participate in a "Relay for Life." That's in addition to hitting your "incentive," an extra half hour just for meeting your goal for the day, which is a reasonable goal. Plus, they let us leave a half hour early for absolutely no reason. And, it's all paid. I don't feel stressed. At first, I was worried at what a horrible job I was doing, but I received a lot of inspirational comments from supervisors. It is not an easy job by any means. But, you learn. I'm confused by all of the negative comments. Although, they do frighten me. I've only been there for a little over a month. Hope this is helpful.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncorporate more hands on learning during the training process. When I started taking orders, I was nearly completely blind because we spent a week on learning the difference between CV, FHA and VA loan types. Just show me how to do the job.

Employee unfriendly.

ProsSome departments have the need for overtime based on the business needs of course.
    You can post for a new position after 6 months of employment.

ConsThe company doesn't compensate well -- very low hourly pay and very high cost for insurance. Unless you live at home, you will have a really hard time meeting your bills unless you get to work overtime. Too much notice is required for time off (ie...1 hour vs a week or two weeks of PTO) require two weeks notice -- not very realistic or fair to expect an employee to give 2 weeks notice for an hour off. Some managers there follow the employee handbook and some don't and will allow you to take time off without that required amount of notice. Obviously, that is not fair to all the other employees since some managers are following the handbook and other managers are not. They also have a point system. Any unscheduled/unapproved absence will result in a point even if the time is your time to take (ie...you have the PTO accrued). They have a 10 point policy and then you are terminated no matter how long you have been there, what position you are in, etc.. The points stay on for a full year from the date you accrue the point.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be appreciated if compensation was re-evaluated. It is very difficult for employees to meet their bills on your hourly wage and then pay such a huge amount for health insurance for employee cost. Due to the low pay and high insurance cost, one can't even participate in the 401(K) plan because they have no money to work with let alone pay their bills.

It would also be appreciated if the PTO / points policy was re-evaluated. The manual states '2 weeks notice' for time off; though, it is not further defined. It isn't reasonable to expect an employee to give 2 weeks notice for an hour off or even 1 or 2 days off. Some managers make their own rules and others follow the handbook which states this policy. This is unfair to other employees. Some managers are even applying this current policy to Safeguard Bucks which are supposed to be a 'fun' type of reward for contributing monies or participating in a work event. In the on-line time off request, Safeguard Bucks are a separate category; so how can this be considered PTO and once again require someone to give 2 weeks notice for an hour or two off. This is punishing an employee for giving them a benefit.

Safeguard offers no sick days. I see many people come to work very ill because they can't 'afford' to get a point; thereby, making everyone very sick around them. This is very unfair to all the other employees and the employee can't be productive sitting at their desk coughing and sneezing all day long and feeling miserable.
    Most companies have a policy where in if you are sick 3 or more days, then a doctor's note is required.

It would also be appreciated if the points system was re-evaluated. The company is currently assigning points for unscheduled/unapproved PTO even though it is your time to take. This is punishing an employee for having a benefit. Why would any employee get a point when it is their time to take? I have never encountered this type of policy before in 30 years of working or a point system anywhere. I could certainly understand a company assigning points for taking time that they didn't have to take, but not for time that is yours. It is easy to see how so many people end up terminated because of the 10 point system. I feel that the company not only doesn't value their employees with these very employee unfriendly policies, but is also
    hurting themselves in the long run with the high turnover. You are investing all kinds of time and training in employees only to have policies that make it very easy for the company to terminate someone. It gives the appearance that the company's goals is to find a way to terminate employees rather than having friendly, ordinary and reasonable policies that promote employee morale and a great working atsmosphere. I hear comments almost every day from employees about how upset they are about the policies. There is a lot of discension and upset in the company regarding these policies and that certainly does not help productivity.

I hope that you consider changes to the current policies. I feel it would certainly make Safeguard a more happy and desirable place to work and spend one's career if possible. Thank you.

Long hours, high demands but not paid in a timely manner.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsLocal supervisor was outstanding. She was willing to work with scheduling conflicts due to health issues of my child,

ConsUpper management refuses to take into account time difference from Ohio to Arizona so deadlines were unreasonable. This caused very long hours each day to meet the deadline requirements only to be told nothing was making the management happy. Several local changes were made to be more flexible for Corporate but nothing was successful. Along with long days, the work environment was unsafe - reports of tenants with weapons were completely ignored and inspectors were sent back several times into the same situation.

Always new and interesting, but can be overwhelmingly stressful and busy for many.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Valley View, OH

ProsGreat growth over the years, but opportunities are not always offered to those that seem to work the hardest for them. Constant growth has led to fear of letting some move on and away from current workloads. Management direction has changed many times, with that some opportunities and career paths seem to be cut short. Typical, I'm sure, but can be frustrating. The company is innovative in it's field and will see more expansions and opportunities in the future.

ConsTraining for the industry is challenging, ongoing programs are getting better, but somewhat generic. Workload is not always favorable or even realistic. Through growth, mandatory OT requirements were abused by many in management. Work-life balance is tough to maintain at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff more people to your most important roles. Communication and Customer Service are strained due to a failure to commit to a larger staff in key depts. Promote and grow from within, there is a lot of wasted talent. Could use a program to groom employees for future roles, your Managers, Directors and VPs are not doing it. The biggest restriction seems to be the time to get it done.

great for part time job

ProsWork hour is pretty flexible. You make your own schedule, so long as you complete your work order before the deadline.

ConsThere is no room for growth.

Highly Dependent on the Position/Manager

Team Lead (Current Employee) Valley View, OH

ProsWith the right manager, you will be recognized for your skills and abilities.

ConsUpper management seems blind to what middle management is doing. The wrong supervisor can make your life a living hell.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management- get to know some of your front line employees and get them to tell you the truth about what is going on in their departments.
    Middle management- get your head out of your ass.

Worked for Safeguard Properties? Contribute to the Community!