Safeguard Properties

Updated August 3, 2014

2.2

Safeguard Properties CEO Alan Jaffa
Alan Jaffa

Pros
  • Decent pay and you will meet some very good people (in 3 reviews)

• You get to meet a lot of different people, and you can set your own hours being a field inspector (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems blind to what middle management is doing (in 6 reviews)

• Just do some research on their business practices (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Not all bad...

Former Employee - P&P Specialist  in  Mentor, OH
    Former Employee - P&P Specialist in Mentor, OH

I worked at Safeguard Properties full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was a P&P Specialist and thought the work was interesting. The pay was pretty decent for this area. The Team Lead I had was fantastic and he was also very knowledgeable and helpful.

Cons

The usual buddy system that most call centers have. If you are friendly with one person you get the benefits. Conflict within management was a huge problem. Training was great initially but after they moved us to a new department the training was minimal and we were expected to do a job we were unsure of. Work life was not good. Mandatory overtime is tough to do when you have a family. The benefits were VERY expensive.

Training is important. In my opinion the Mentor location lost a lot of really great employees in a matter of a couple months because the training was SO poor and many felt the promotion methods were a bit unfair.

Never a dull moment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Safeguard Properties full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company definitely believes in promoting from within. In addition, they offer very generous PTO after working 90 days (for hourly employees) and immediately to salaried employees.

Cons

Some of the management is inadequately trained, and there is a lot of favoritism, which lacks professionalism. Too much overtime is required, and sometimes life situations don't allow for it, which can ultimately result in unfair termination.

Provide more leadership training before promoting from within. Offer the same opportunities to all employees displaying the required skill set.

Serious lack of oversight from management really shows in worker performance.

Former Employee - Field Service Representative  in  Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Field Service Representative in Phila, PA

I worked at Safeguard Properties as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

You get to meet a lot of different people, and you can set your own hours being a field inspector.

Cons

The management is really unprofessional and has unrealistic expectations most times. May not realize the hours spent on the road combined with vehicle wear and tear and intangibles you end up not making much money. Some "clients" you encounter on the job will attack you physically for being on their property or call the police. Most REO houses you have to go inside to inspect have black mold on walls let alone all the other decrepit things in abandoned houses.

Get over yourselves, do not have ghetto attitude people running districts.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too busy expanding to take care of their employees.

Former Employee - REO SPECIALIST  in  Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - REO SPECIALIST in Richardson, TX

I worked at Safeguard Properties full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice company culture. Good benefits.

Cons

Always asking for more work for less money.

I don't have any advice.

Stay Away Unless You Need The Work

Former Employee - Inspector  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Inspector in Chicago, IL

I worked at Safeguard Properties part-time for less than a year

Pros

I like the type of work, it allows you to understand the market if you're planning on getting into real estate

Cons

No Benefits, no respect and very low pay. Safeguard was only paying me 2 per property and sending 50 - 55 properties per day minus about 30 in gas a day. The company would sometimes reject payment on properties because of a photo being too dark and refuse to pay unless I went back out to the property for the same 2 dollars.

I last 5 months I couldnt take the constant changes in policies towards there photos or inspection guide lines and the failure to pay for all the home (there was always excuses on pay day).

Have respect for your inspectors stop taking advantage of the job market. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Everyone has to make money but try to make it in a more honest way. I frowned at the government as well since the majority of their properties are government owned for not bring this to their attention or asking them to show more respect to their employees as a customer or account they can make strict guidelines for safeguard to operate under being their main customer.

Awful! Doesn't focus on quality of work!

I have been working at Safeguard Properties as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

None! I really can't find any.

Cons

This company has very poor public relations. The Better Business Bureau of Greater Cleveland has given it their lowest rating based on Number of complaints (67), time taken to resolve complaints and government action against the company (attny. gen. of Illinois has filed a lawsuit against the company.)

Stand behind your work and the work of your employees! Treat people fairly and make sure the services you provide do not end up doing harm to innocent people! Your company does not adhere to acceptable, honorable business practices. The CEO should accept responsibility when things go wrong--not engage in denial.

Safeguard Vendor

Former Employee - Vendor  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Vendor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Safeguard Properties as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Many opportunities to own and run your own business

Cons

Training. The training staff for their work order entry system is horrible horrible horrible. They try to train you through a phone and web conference with no sample or mock work order entries. The only entries you are entering are the ones that are live. If you call for support the trainers are so swamped they yell at you that they went over it on the conference call and they do not have time to retrain you.

After training you will have to call for about two weeks to receive a work order and then they will tell you because you are new that usually new vendors recieve work orders six weeks after training so you let your crew go to find or work on other projects and then they send you work orders 24-48 hours after your crew has started working on other projects.

There is no pay until a bid is approved for your company. They can send you on 15 bids that could equate to hundreds of miles and time. No matter what the expenses are to provide those bids they are free for Safeguard. But if you are late with your bid they want to charge you. And since the training so horrible you will probably be late because you won't know how to enter your bid in the system.

After your bid is late in the system next they will do a "random" audit of your company and want to see permits for hvac electrical and plumbing Meth lab decontamination Etc..... About 20 permits for 20 counties that you have been assigned to in order to provide them with free bids.

Manage. The manager says one thing but the staff does another...... Bad bad bad synergy!!!

Good Experience.....So far

Current Employee - Title Estimator  in  Brooklyn Heights, OH
    Current Employee - Title Estimator in Brooklyn Heights, OH

I have been working at Safeguard Properties full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great shift (M-F 8:00-4:30), good starting wage. management is courteous and helpful.

Cons

Not enough people to answer questions. QC takes off points for things you weren't even aware of. Stressful at times. You speed at completing tasks is often valued over your accuracy. I respect the negative reviews, but, in all honesty, I have had the opposite experience. I work at the Brooklyn Hts. location. I really hope that my experience will not change dramatically when we move out there next week. First, your day goes by quickly. There's a lot to do, and you're never short of work. All the people in senior positions are super nice and appreciate your work. I've never been with such a laid back company, except Apple. Today, for instance, we received an extra half hour break to participate in a "Relay for Life." That's in addition to hitting your "incentive," an extra half hour just for meeting your goal for the day, which is a reasonable goal. Plus, they let us leave a half hour early for absolutely no reason. And, it's all paid. I don't feel stressed. At first, I was worried at what a horrible job I was doing, but I received a lot of inspirational comments from supervisors. It is not an easy job by any means. But, you learn. I'm confused by all of the negative comments. Although, they do frighten me. I've only been there for a little over a month. Hope this is helpful.

Incorporate more hands on learning during the training process. When I started taking orders, I was nearly completely blind because we spent a week on learning the difference between CV, FHA and VA loan types. Just show me how to do the job.

Employee unfriendly.

I have been working at Safeguard Properties full-time

Pros

Some departments have the need for overtime based on the business needs of course.
    You can post for a new position after 6 months of employment.

Cons

The company doesn't compensate well -- very low hourly pay and very high cost for insurance. Unless you live at home, you will have a really hard time meeting your bills unless you get to work overtime. Too much notice is required for time off (ie...1 hour vs a week or two weeks of PTO) require two weeks notice -- not very realistic or fair to expect an employee to give 2 weeks notice for an hour off. Some managers there follow the employee handbook and some don't and will allow you to take time off without that required amount of notice. Obviously, that is not fair to all the other employees since some managers are following the handbook and other managers are not. They also have a point system. Any unscheduled/unapproved absence will result in a point even if the time is your time to take (ie...you have the PTO accrued). They have a 10 point policy and then you are terminated no matter how long you have been there, what position you are in, etc.. The points stay on for a full year from the date you accrue the point.

It would be appreciated if compensation was re-evaluated. It is very difficult for employees to meet their bills on your hourly wage and then pay such a huge amount for health insurance for employee cost. Due to the low pay and high insurance cost, one can't even participate in the 401(K) plan because they have no money to work with let alone pay their bills.

It would also be appreciated if the PTO / points policy was re-evaluated. The manual states '2 weeks notice' for time off; though, it is not further defined. It isn't reasonable to expect an employee to give 2 weeks notice for an hour off or even 1 or 2 days off. Some managers make their own rules and others follow the handbook which states this policy. This is unfair to other employees. Some managers are even applying this current policy to Safeguard Bucks which are supposed to be a 'fun' type of reward for contributing monies or participating in a work event. In the on-line time off request, Safeguard Bucks are a separate category; so how can this be considered PTO and once again require someone to give 2 weeks notice for an hour or two off. This is punishing an employee for giving them a benefit.

Safeguard offers no sick days. I see many people come to work very ill because they can't 'afford' to get a point; thereby, making everyone very sick around them. This is very unfair to all the other employees and the employee can't be productive sitting at their desk coughing and sneezing all day long and feeling miserable.
    Most companies have a policy where in if you are sick 3 or more days, then a doctor's note is required.

It would also be appreciated if the points system was re-evaluated. The company is currently assigning points for unscheduled/unapproved PTO even though it is your time to take. This is punishing an employee for having a benefit. Why would any employee get a point when it is their time to take? I have never encountered this type of policy before in 30 years of working or a point system anywhere. I could certainly understand a company assigning points for taking time that they didn't have to take, but not for time that is yours. It is easy to see how so many people end up terminated because of the 10 point system. I feel that the company not only doesn't value their employees with these very employee unfriendly policies, but is also
    hurting themselves in the long run with the high turnover. You are investing all kinds of time and training in employees only to have policies that make it very easy for the company to terminate someone. It gives the appearance that the company's goals is to find a way to terminate employees rather than having friendly, ordinary and reasonable policies that promote employee morale and a great working atsmosphere. I hear comments almost every day from employees about how upset they are about the policies. There is a lot of discension and upset in the company regarding these policies and that certainly does not help productivity.

I hope that you consider changes to the current policies. I feel it would certainly make Safeguard a more happy and desirable place to work and spend one's career if possible. Thank you.

Long hours, high demands but not paid in a timely manner.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Safeguard Properties full-time for more than a year

Pros

Local supervisor was outstanding. She was willing to work with scheduling conflicts due to health issues of my child,

Cons

Upper management refuses to take into account time difference from Ohio to Arizona so deadlines were unreasonable. This caused very long hours each day to meet the deadline requirements only to be told nothing was making the management happy. Several local changes were made to be more flexible for Corporate but nothing was successful. Along with long days, the work environment was unsafe - reports of tenants with weapons were completely ignored and inspectors were sent back several times into the same situation.

Worked for Safeguard Properties? Contribute to the Community!