Safety-Kleen

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jerry E. Correll

Pros
  • Good Benefits if you are single(in 10 reviews)

• great pay and benefits, used to be great place to work(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Clean harbors and current management has destroyed the moral(in 13 reviews)

• Upper management has no idea what is going on in the field; expects way too many hours of the workforce(in 9 reviews)

I don't know.

Proseveryone is nice, seems like a nice place to work.

Constremendous amount of information, I had people calling on a cell phone
    wondering if I was getting it, and I was just a ride along, ahh with the all the other
    reviews, I don't know, if there is nothing out there take the job otherwise take a hike.

Advice to Senior Managementget a training center, especially for amount of paperwork you expect people to understand.

Safety Kleen was tolerable and pleasant bought by clean harbors

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsOK pay, the people that survived the acquisition are mostly pleasant

ConsUnstable, overworked with no benefit, unorganized and completely no regard for the people they are taking advantage of. Clean harbors people are abrasive and disrespectful, and very inconsistant.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to understand the needs of your employees and be more consistent and rewarding.

Worse experience ever

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee)

ProsWeekends off, and company uniforms

ConsThe company slaves you working 12 to 15 hours a day and only getting paid for 8 hr

Advice to Senior ManagementThey have no respect for employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

clean harbors is such a mess

Current Employee (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

Prosgreat pay and benefits, used to be great place to work

Consnow we have to go threw an act of congress it seems to get our fleet vehicles worked on, we used to just be able to take our trucks to ryder or penske and get them back next day most of the time. now we have to take them to a clean harbors approved vender and ask that vender to email clean harbors with an estimate, then clean harbors wants us to find the best deal etc rather then just getting the repairs done quickly so we can get our trucks back on the road to start making more money.

Advice to Senior Managementif safety-kleen was such an attractive company to buy, then it must have been for a reason right? so why buy it and change things? if it an't broke, don't fix it!!!!

Used to be a good place to work

ProsUsed to be a nice place to work

ConsUnstable and no chance to grow since it was sold to Clean Harbors.
    Most of the senior leadership doesn't really know what they are doing
    You can only grow in the company if you know someone at the top of you lick the right people b...

Advice to Senior ManagementThere a lot of good talented people leaving the company because of bad leadership

Is has been the worst experience ever

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) Norcross, GA

ProsOpportunity to advance is ok, a lot of people changing constantly.

ConsSalary, you work between 12 to 15 hours a day and only get paid for 8 hrs. The management is always changing and with the changes come a lot of new rules. The company thinks of you as a number, they don't care about you the person.

Advice to Senior Managementremember where you came from.

Market Sales Specialist

Mss (Former Employee)

Prosnone.. This place is a joke. At least for right now.

ConsI have worked for Safety-Kleen for over 2 1/2 years. The first year was great. After that it has been downhill. In the 2/1/2 years i have seen 3 different compensation structures. Each one slowly tightening the amount Safety-Kleen is willing to pay out. Even when more business is being sold, pay has gone down considerably. If you can get a weak territory that is under-performing with a low quota, jump on it for a year until safety-Kleen catches on and raises your quota 20% No matter how good at sales you are Safety-Kleen is set up so that you can not and will not (without significant luck) always have good years. It is a up and down cycle this is independent of your sales. This is the one thing that is guaranteed with Safety-Kleen. With the new Clean Harbors take over you will find yourself spending more time trying to get things setup then you will getting sales. It will take you weeks after a sale to get something done and billed. They overcharge and under deliver.The exception is a few great sales staff that spend most of their time apologizing to their customer for Safety-Kleen's let downs. If it wasn't for sales and service staff this company would have zero customers due to the internal nonsense this company pushes on its employees. I have no Idea why anyone would work her for a 40K salary make great sales and not get paid. You would have to be crazy to even consider this. If you are good at being "creative" and cheating the system then you will be successful here. Its a dog and pony show in the interview with promise of 100K years and great perks. This is not true. Unless you are a Territory Account Manager your dreams of even 65K are slowly slipping away if you take this position. Do yourself a favor do not fall for the show and consider working for a reputable company that doesn't treat sales staff like dogs. If you read the reviews on this site you will see that this is clearly not just my opinion as the majority of MSS staff has reviewed this company the same. If you have Zero sales experience then this is a great start at outside sales. Get your experience and run. That would be the only reason to ever consider this position. Experienced sales professionals do not apply!!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper management are employees that have moved up through the ranks and have zero real management experience. They typically do not know how to manage individuals and manage as a group. Hire experienced sales managers. Hire experienced area managers. These "area" managers are usually a joke and have no clue how to run a business. What they are good at is directing to make sure their quotas are met and they get a paycheck. Hire HR staff that actually does their job. Hire HR staff that returns phone calls and conducts exit interviews.

IT Project Manager

IT Project Manager (Current Employee) Richardson, TX

ProsGreat people. In IT, the teamwork is great. All employees are helpful.

ConsRecently the CEO, Bob Craycraft resigned. This is due to the acquisition by Clean Harbors. Bob's leadership for the past few years was evident in promoting the teamwork atmosphere. Things are a little unstable right now as transitioning into Clean Harbors is not finished.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe great people at Safety-Kleen are uncertain of their future positions with Clean Harbors so many are leaving of their own accord. If Clean Harbors could show a career path then maybe the loss of knowledgeable people would stop.

Safety Kleen

Market Sales Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsVery competetive pay for the industry

ConsLong hours don't necessarily make the pay worth it.

Advice to Senior Managementeverything is a knee jerk reaction to industry trends.

worst place to work....run away

Mss (Current Employee) Highland, CA

Proshmmmmm............................................................none. oh wait you get nascar tickets once a year.

Consits a typical company that doesnt care who you are. they throw you out in the field and expect you to know it all and if you dont you will get 3-4 emails from some sort of management asking you whats the deal.
    you lose jobs all day to the competitor and is due to safey kleen high prices...and if the customer doesnt like it then safey kleen will blow you off...then you will get written up for losing customer
    they micro manage the heck out of you to the point where it will drive you crazy.
    i can go on allllll day on this nazi style company but i t would put me in a horrible mood to think about safety kleen so much.
    if you like to be pushed around and told what to do and how to do it and later they will change their mind...then safety kleen will fit for you.
    i wanted out once i got in, they will lie to you just to get you in. the average worker lasts 6 months.

Advice to Senior Managementget invloved with the sales force more...dont just judge people by sitting on your butt and telling them what to do. you guys have no clue half the time

Worked for Safety-Kleen? Contribute to the Community!