Safety-Kleen

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014
2.6

Jerry E. Correll

Pros
  • Good Benefits if you are single (in 10 reviews)

• great pay and benefits, used to be great place to work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Clean harbors and current management has destroyed the moral (in 13 reviews)

• Upper management has no idea what is going on in the field; expects way too many hours of the workforce (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

It was a great place to work

I have been working at Safety-Kleen

Pros

Excellent learning environment, room for growth

Cons

Too many mid level managers doing the same job

Overall good learning experience in the environmental world.

Former Employee - Market Sales Specialist  in  Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Market Sales Specialist in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Layoffs were never an issue in non-corporate positions. Great benefits package and the people were awesome to work with. Work there before it was bought by Laidlaw. Lots of advancement opportunities, learned many departments from hands on training.

Cons

Every time you felt successful you always knew that the next period you started back at zero. More money should have been giving in commissions and base salaries for the long hours worked out on the routes.

More praise, along with ride along would been very beneficial. Don't treat employees as just a number, parts washers are a thing of the past. Past time to move on from them.

A once great company, turning bad.

Former Employee - Industrial Service Representative  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Industrial Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Equal pay for hard work. Good benefits. Organized business. Very good co workers. Family atmosphere.

Cons

Constantly changing pay structure. Poor condition of fleet.

Invest in fleet, treat employees with respect. Stop changing the pay plans. What made SK great was the passing of knowledge from tenured people down to new employees. Most if not all of these tenured people are gone. Customer relationships were built over time. This is what differentiated SK service from a commodity viewpoint. With a revolving door of employees, SK becomes a commodity and loses it's FRS business.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Since acquisition by Clean Harbors, SK is the worst company to work for I have experienced in my career!

Current Employee - Market Sales Specialist  in  Archdale, NC
    Current Employee - Market Sales Specialist in Archdale, NC

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Run Away As Fast As Possible!

Cons

Management within this company is a joke. The "Good Ole Boy" culture is alive and well. I was a President's Council winner (# 1 rated sales person) and when I had finally had enough of the inept management from branch level to senior level I gave my 2 weeks notice. I was told to immediately turn over my laptop, etc. and my health insurance was cancelled the next day! My hiring manager left the company for same reasons. My current sales manager issued a veiled threat that "he would be watching." I agree with previous reviews that SK will be sold or broken up soon. Clean Harbors'
    CEO epitomizes everything that is wrong with corporate America; Greed, and taking care of Board of Directors and top management at the expense of the rank and file who built the company!

Move To China!

Absolutely the worst company I've worked for in 22 years of management (out of 8 companies)

Former Employee - DSM  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - DSM in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Not one - the company is led by militant, delusional, self serving, uneducated back stabbers. If you are not part of the "good ole boy network," or god forbid you say something negative about one of the executives, you may as well give two weeks notice - they will fire you for your opinion. If they ask for it, they will give it to you.

Cons

Not one leader there - awful, misguided leadership. I would not work there if you paid me $500K per year, and gave me a 30 hour work week.

Go work somewhere else - the board of directors must place executives in there who can motivate and inspire people. Those executives then must clean house and literally get rid of more than half the company; especially the red neck, uneducated, good ole boy crowd. BC did a great job from 2011 to 2012, and I think the company was on the right path. After Clean Harbors took over, that was it. This company will not be around long term. The business plan is to buy as many companies as they can, and then lay off until the bottom line looks good. I bet it's gone, sold, or broken up before 2016.

SK was a great company until it was bought by Clean Harbors.

Current Employee - Manager - City Listed IS Not Actual Location  in  Norwell, MA
    Current Employee - Manager - City Listed IS Not Actual Location in Norwell, MA

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers and mid-management are great.

Cons

Clean Harbors CEO is an incredibly lucky fool. He surrounds himself with "yes-men" and fires anyone who tells him he's wrong. How the company has grown to the size that it has is beyond me. It's a textbook example of how NOT to run a company.

Instead of paying a lot of money to consultants, LISTEN to the people you hired. They know far more about the business, the customers, the operations, and the regulatory constraints than any consultant ever will. The money you paid the consultants would have been better spent on raises for your hard-working employees.

12 yrs at SK

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

many, many great co-workers friendships, customers oil gulf clean up trip President Council winner, great pay plans if in a good route.

Cons

very long hours be expected to go over your DOT driver hrs in a given day. Healthcare benefits are poor for a hazardous working conditions. IF you get hurt be expected to get back to work before you are able. expect vacations to be denied.

stop changing the pay plan every other month

Good if you want to work allot of hours

Current Employee - Route Sales and Service Representative
    Current Employee - Route Sales and Service Representative

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good compensation monday - Friday m
     No holiday's

Cons

Bad local management nothing is ever enough always want more hours

Check on your drivers make sure your CSM and BGM are not treating them wrong

Prepare to sell your soul

Former Employee - Market Sales Specialist  in  Saginaw, MI
    Former Employee - Market Sales Specialist in Saginaw, MI

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very recognized brand name in industry, pays well

Cons

Sale professionals are treated less than, constantly babysat by managers . They with a leash around your neck, have archaic sales practices (cold call all day...hope someone sees you) They have no real sales process and aren't interested in learning form experienced sale professionals from outside the industry. They mainly hire drivers for the sales department who have no true sales experience. Outside sales professionals are treated with disdain because they didn't come off a truck. No work life balance, Sales is expected to report at 7:00 am every day (because the driver do and it wouldn't be fair !!??) your also expected to report to the branch at the end of your day to be "processed", which mean grilled about your activity. If you leave at 5:00pm or before for any reason, you are a bad employee. They seem to value sales employees that work 80 hours a week, but have nothing to show for it,as opposed to the person who works 50 hours and has top sales. They don't believe in working smart, only believe in making it hard. They change your commission pay process quarterly, always at your disadvantage & then get mad when you figure out how to still make money.You have a plethora of supervisors to report to and they are all competitive with each other, so you are expected to take sides and are pulled in opposite directions. Too many chiefs not enough Indians. They are insane about their CRM. If you CAN do it CRM they think you should, so one sales call takes 15 minutes to enter. In the end, if you don't butt kiss the right guy, you're expendable, no matter your performance.

Educate yourself on contemporary sales process. Hire true sales professionals and allow them some freedom to do what they do best. Give the work life balance they expect and perform for in the first place. Take the choke collars off. They are not service, stop treating them like it. Give drivers who wish to convert to sales, true sales training. Sales is so easy to measure, judge by performance, not how many hours the guy sat in the office (drinking coffee) after 5:00 pm. Accept the fact that people have lives outside of Safety-Kleen. Stop the management in-fighting. Downsize the upper management. You don't need the VP to the Regional VP to the territory VP, to the assistant VP all doing the same job.

Worst company to work for if you value self worth.

Former Employee - Clerk  in  Breslau, PA
    Former Employee - Clerk in Breslau, PA

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some good people but they are often in bad moods due to overwork.

Cons

Staff overworked
    Compensation low
    Favoritism rampant
    People surfing the net called good employees while hard workers let go.

Value the good employees instead of rewarding the lazy and stupid.
    Pay attention to what is going on with staff in the office.
    Deal with the problems.

Worked for Safety-Kleen? Contribute to the Community!