Safety-Kleen

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
2.6

Jerry E. Correll

Pros
  • Good Benefits if you are single (in 10 reviews)

• great pay and benefits, used to be great place to work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Safety Kleen is transforming to be a duplicate of Clean Harbors and it is a messy transition (in 15 reviews)

• The numbers upper management want to manage are scorecards that are made up of activities not results (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Progress Thwarted

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Safety-Kleen is a collection of dedicated caring individuals that were once motivated by shared successes. The former CEO, prior to the Clean Harbors acquisition, had the company making progress toward World Class Service. More often than not, the customer was our first priority and employees were held in high regard as well.

Cons

Following the Clean Harbors acquisition all progress came to an abrupt halt. Antiquated systems and procedures handicap daily activities. "Leadership" now appears to be primarily concerned with Wall Street and Customer Service is secondary or worse. The CEO is tyrannical and removes anyone that challenges his flawed views of the direction of the company. The answer should not always be layoffs when the stock needs to move or the investors begin to grumble.

Perhaps it time to innovate. Systems need to be updated, equipment needs to be replaced, and customers need to be the priority. The profits will follow if employees feel appreciated and have a sense of worth within the company. The CEO doesn't need to be involved in every minor detail. This represents a lack of trust in the Executive Team. Being top heavy leads to a lack of money makers at the ground level. Listen to those that interact with the customer on a daily basis...they pay our salaries! Let Safety-Kleen be Safety-Kleen!

Selling equals paperwork, a lot of it

I have been working at Safety-Kleen

Pros

Some locations have little micro managing which offers you the ability to make your own schedule. Vacation policy is nice

Cons

Paperwork - you spend close to seventy percent of your time doing paperwork. The numbers upper management want to manage are scorecards that are made up of activities not results. It is sad when durin an hour long weekly call only 2% of the time results centered around selling are mentioned and the rest about numbers on activities and pushes. Have had seven pay changes this year with none of hem for the better

Let your sales people sell and compensate them for it

It was a great place to work

I have been working at Safety-Kleen

Pros

Excellent learning environment, room for growth

Cons

Too many mid level managers doing the same job

Don't work here

Former Employee - Market Sales Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Market Sales Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good co workers, interesting industry

Cons

Just about everything. How they are in business is amazing.

Cant give advice to people who already know everything.

Overall good learning experience in the environmental world.

Former Employee - Market Sales Specialist in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Market Sales Specialist in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Layoffs were never an issue in non-corporate positions. Great benefits package and the people were awesome to work with. Work there before it was bought by Laidlaw. Lots of advancement opportunities, learned many departments from hands on training.

Cons

Every time you felt successful you always knew that the next period you started back at zero. More money should have been giving in commissions and base salaries for the long hours worked out on the routes.

More praise, along with ride along would been very beneficial. Don't treat employees as just a number, parts washers are a thing of the past. Past time to move on from them.

A once great company, turning bad.

Former Employee - Industrial Service Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Industrial Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Equal pay for hard work. Good benefits. Organized business. Very good co workers. Family atmosphere.

Cons

Constantly changing pay structure. Poor condition of fleet.

Invest in fleet, treat employees with respect. Stop changing the pay plans. What made SK great was the passing of knowledge from tenured people down to new employees. Most if not all of these tenured people are gone. Customer relationships were built over time. This is what differentiated SK service from a commodity viewpoint. With a revolving door of employees, SK becomes a commodity and loses it's FRS business.

Absolutely the worst company I've worked for in 22 years of management (out of 8 companies)

Former Employee - DSM in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - DSM in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Not one - the company is led by militant, delusional, self serving, uneducated back stabbers. If you are not part of the "good ole boy network," or god forbid you say something negative about one of the executives, you may as well give two weeks notice - they will fire you for your opinion. If they ask for it, they will give it to you.

Cons

Not one leader there - awful, misguided leadership. I would not work there if you paid me $500K per year, and gave me a 30 hour work week.

Go work somewhere else - the board of directors must place executives in there who can motivate and inspire people. Those executives then must clean house and literally get rid of more than half the company; especially the red neck, uneducated, good ole boy crowd. BC did a great job from 2011 to 2012, and I think the company was on the right path. After Clean Harbors took over, that was it. This company will not be around long term. The business plan is to buy as many companies as they can, and then lay off until the bottom line looks good. I bet it's gone, sold, or broken up before 2016.

Since acquisition by Clean Harbors, SK is the worst company to work for I have experienced in my career!

Current Employee - Market Sales Specialist in Archdale, NC
    Current Employee - Market Sales Specialist in Archdale, NC

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Run Away As Fast As Possible!

Cons

Management within this company is a joke. The "Good Ole Boy" culture is alive and well. I was a President's Council winner (# 1 rated sales person) and when I had finally had enough of the inept management from branch level to senior level I gave my 2 weeks notice. I was told to immediately turn over my laptop, etc. and my health insurance was cancelled the next day! My hiring manager left the company for same reasons. My current sales manager issued a veiled threat that "he would be watching." I agree with previous reviews that SK will be sold or broken up soon. Clean Harbors'
    CEO epitomizes everything that is wrong with corporate America; Greed, and taking care of Board of Directors and top management at the expense of the rank and file who built the company!

Move To China!

SK was a great company until it was bought by Clean Harbors.

Current Employee - Manager - City Listed IS Not Actual Location in Norwell, MA
    Current Employee - Manager - City Listed IS Not Actual Location in Norwell, MA

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers and mid-management are great.

Cons

Clean Harbors CEO is an incredibly lucky fool. He surrounds himself with "yes-men" and fires anyone who tells him he's wrong. How the company has grown to the size that it has is beyond me. It's a textbook example of how NOT to run a company.

Instead of paying a lot of money to consultants, LISTEN to the people you hired. They know far more about the business, the customers, the operations, and the regulatory constraints than any consultant ever will. The money you paid the consultants would have been better spent on raises for your hard-working employees.

12 yrs at SK

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

many, many great co-workers friendships, customers oil gulf clean up trip President Council winner, great pay plans if in a good route.

Cons

very long hours be expected to go over your DOT driver hrs in a given day. Healthcare benefits are poor for a hazardous working conditions. IF you get hurt be expected to get back to work before you are able. expect vacations to be denied.

stop changing the pay plan every other month