Safety-Kleen

Updated December 13, 2014
Updated December 13, 2014
2.6

Jerry E. Correll

Pros
  • Good Benefits if you are single (in 10 reviews)

• great pay and benefits, used to be great place to work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Safety Kleen is transforming to be a duplicate of Clean Harbors and it is a messy transition (in 15 reviews)

• The numbers upper management want to manage are scorecards that are made up of activities not results (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Once was promising

Current Employee - Market Sales Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Market Sales Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, amazing customers, beautiful territory, company vehicle (affectionately referred to as a `banana`), work with an amazing team and awesome manager.

Cons

Sales is looked down upon from the Senior management to the guys on back of the trucks. The perception of sales people is that they don't actually sell anything at SK; they do nothing but collect money, handle operational issues like damaged property, handle billing problems, and any other petty issues that arise in a given day which is everyday all the time. All the while salespeople are benchmarked at ridiculous sales goals and quotas, most sales people spend their time making up fake entries in dynamics, so they won't get fired, instead of actually getting out and selling. SK is run by ex Allied, Cintas, and waste management managers and executives that still think they work at their old jobs. Completely delusional, do not listen and do not care. Same thing with the billing department and operations. They push off as much responsibility as they can on sales. The turnover for this company will go through the roof in the next year, and they know it, or don't care. This company does not promote sales people. They will put an operations person in before sales. Being that this company was just purchased, things will only get worse, unless someone takes the initiative and fires all of the management and executives. The worst part is the commission plan for sales reps. It changes from year to year, they do whatever they can to find a way to not pay you for what you sold. Waste management and allied reps make a considerable amount more than sales reps at SK. Don't plan on making big bucks here.

Retire, move to the mountains and don't bother anyone. Your time has come and gone. People are sick of the people who have been in the industry forever and keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. It's called insanity.

Slowly becoming a Clean Harbors Company of mistrust and corporate red tape

I have been working at Safety-Kleen

Pros

Lots of nice people. Very casual office environment. New building but I hear they are moving again. Easy access to management.

Cons

Lots of slackers that are protected by their click of guys that come from the back of the truck into management. Benefits have changed for the worst. promotions more difficult due to all the layoffs. Supply chain out of control. If you don't like working in a open office with low stalls so management can watch you then it's not for you.

Great place to learn the trade

Current Employee - Mss
    Current Employee - Mss

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No degree or special training required; they will train you. Competitive compensation, good base salary depending on position and good commissions

Cons

Long hours. Hard work. Constant pressure of meeting high quotas. Commission plan changes on a regular basis.

Turnover is a killer. Treat your people with respect. Offer a bonus to everyone when quota is met to encourage teamwork.

A place where I was able to work hard and advance.

Former Employee - Branch General Manager in South Bend, IN
    Former Employee - Branch General Manager in South Bend, IN

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many areas to advance & control your income.

Cons

New parent company making decisions that are not based on productivity & results.

Stand up for your employees.

Good Company

Current Employee - District Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - District Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of autonomy; lots of opportunity for advancement

Cons

Upper management has no idea what is going on in the field; expects way too many hours of the workforce.

Listen to your field, not people who spend no time in the field

Manufacturing Engineer

I have been working at Safety-Kleen

Pros

Most of the people within the company are great to work with.

Cons

Minimal opportunity for growth unless at the corporate offices.

Safety-Kleen was a very good company to work for but since bought the company has gone down hill

Former Employee - Transportation Coordinator in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Transportation Coordinator in Richardson, TX

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They cared about their employees and customs., Flex hours

Cons

Since bought the car not about employees, knowledge,experience and they care for customers or vendors anymore.

Slackers tolerated, over-achievers taken advantage of....a culture of reward the lazy, punish the go getter!

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time

Pros

A good steady job....no lay-off....plenty of work if desired. Decent health care benefits before Clean-Harbors acquired the organization.....growth and advancement opportunities...many chances to grow and learn.

Cons

Compensation not as told from the beginning of employment....never wanted to address it and never did.......employee wages not reflective of organizations growth and prosperity.

Stop being stubborn and listen to your employees.

Great Position....but want TOO MUCH from workers!

Current Employee - Driver
    Current Employee - Driver

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love my job as a driver! Once I'm out the office in a truck it's like FREEDOM!
    The Medical Benefits are very good since we been on with Clean Harbors.

Cons

I'm just a driver and get NO Commission..which is fine, because money doesn't mean much to me as long as I ENJOY my position. BUT Management puts DRIVERS on routes meant for SSRs which is not too fair...just let the driver drive(or transport) and not have to do any services. I like to HELP OUT when needed BUT if I'm doing a service that has me working OT, that means time AWAY FROM MY FAMILY!
    And I think that's the issue OVERALL with this company...They want to pull in as much money as they can using ANY resource even drivers that aren't suppose to be doing that job/service.
    The SUMMER TIME is the most busy time for this company...which means more HOURS at Work(10-14 hours a day). And if it's near the end of the month and the branch needs to meet their QUOTA, prepare for alot of OT.
    The Management says.."We care about Family", can't care too much if they want you to WORK on Saturdays..at times even 3 Saturdays in a row!
    BTW..if the monthly Quota overall is coming up short and you wanna go on Vacation..expect a NO!
    Example: You wanna take 3 days off for vacation, they only give you 1...and that's all you get because reaching the Quota(money goal) is MORE IMPORTANT than any FAMILY time you will spend....right Safety Kleen?

You think this is only happening at my branch?
    It's not...I can tell you that

I only been on for 2 years and don't know much about "The Old days" of SK. But if the employees that been working for the company for YEARS know it was better back then...Then why not look at what was done back in the day and BETTER YOUR COMPANY.
    You can't better your company with money...but you can with RESPECT for the customers who are dedicated to you and employees who SWEAT over the long hours you command us to do.

Not safe, not clean

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time

Pros

Hours were okay. You don't have to work much overtime, so there is a good work/life balance. Other than that I can't think of much good things to say about the company.

Cons

Many of the workers at the Denton plant are of the rural, uneducated variety and some are quite bigoted. Management have a careless attitude. The company's pay is on the low scale. The whole place is dirty, even the decontamination areas (e.g. the shower areas) where people are supposed to wear protective clothing to prevent the spread of contamination of very toxic substances. They will hire anyone off the street regardless of their past history, criminal or otherwise, which could be a pro or con depending on who you are.

There's nothing I can say they haven't heard many times already.