Safety-Kleen

Updated December 13, 2014
Updated December 13, 2014
2.6

Jerry E. Correll

Pros
  • Good Benefits if you are single (in 10 reviews)

• great pay and benefits, used to be great place to work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Safety Kleen is transforming to be a duplicate of Clean Harbors and it is a messy transition (in 15 reviews)

• The numbers upper management want to manage are scorecards that are made up of activities not results (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Always trying to find new products

Cons

Constantly changing the pay structure

Stay in tune with the people in the street keep the pay structure understandable

Good company with good people.

Current Employee - Management in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Management in DFW, TX

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits with the ability to move up. Great training and a leader in the industry. A large product line to sale from.

Cons

Almost too large you can become a number and not a person at times. Being so large they do not think outside the box at times.

Focus on your best assets your people.

Was a great company until i got canned along with 250 other people when Clean Harbors took over

Former Employee - Branch Dispatcher in North Amityville, NY
    Former Employee - Branch Dispatcher in North Amityville, NY

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time

Pros

I had a great BGM I was the branch dispatcher until position was eliminated corporate wide

Cons

Now a part of Clean Harbors Upper MGM lied about the acquisition!!

Very short sided on the acquisition lost a lot of talented people!!

It is a paycheck

Current Employee - Market Sales Specialist

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You can get hired in to Safety Kleen in entry level positions (warehouse, service rep, sales) with a high school diploma and a clean driving record. For that level of education, the wages are respectable. Constantly changing environment. You are on the clock 6 to 6 Monday to Friday, but when you leave for the day, you leave work behind. No weekend work except on rare occasions (short handed branch, training). Home every night.

Cons

You will be overloaded with training in your first weeks. You will not remember any of it, but will be expected to know all of it and more. OJT is virtually non-existent, you learn by trial and error. If you have a good Branch Admin you can ask questions of, or make friends with another person in your job, you might make it long enough to learn your job. There are two types of people at Safety-Kleen: Those who have been with them less than 2 years, and lifers. All management positions are outside hires, this is a major change from 10 years ago. Safety-Kleen has always been top heavy with management (4 or 5 layers of middle managers). Since being bought by Clean Harbors we have picked up another set of management that is just as top heavy and even less responsive... it is their way or the highway. Whatever job you are hired in as, and at whatever pay level, is more than likely going to be the job and wages you have 5 years later.

Go back to promoting good employees. A Branch Manager who has worked the dock and run a route knows the job his employees need to do and how to do it. Sales Managers should be hired from successful MSS's who know the job. Stop putting "gotchas" in the pay plans. Stop changing focus every few months (place parts washers, land oil accounts, increase profit of current business and fire unprofitable customers, use competitive pricing to gain market share, etc.) Stop trying to re-invent the wheel. Stop penalizing sales for doing well with "true ups" and caps on commissions.

Management In search of all mighty dollar(for themselves)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. By no means great

Cons

Long hours for the pay. Management style is -what have you done for me lately? Do not give any thought to the individuals needs and expect a company above all attitude. If you can't kiss butt don't even think about working here.

Need to start realizing your people are your assets not your slaves. Do actual managing and stop BULLYING people into getting your way.

Over worked

Former Employee - Market Sales Specialist in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Market Sales Specialist in Jackson, MS

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to work 60 to 80 hours a week and make 45k per year. Its a great job.

Cons

Senior management. They are a top heavy company. People @ corp get anything they want while people @ the branches do without.

Find something else to do so the people in the branches can survive.

the worst working experience I ever had

Former Employee - Market Sales Specialist in Elgin, IL
    Former Employee - Market Sales Specialist in Elgin, IL

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There aren't any, except you will be smarter than your management team at every level.

Cons

You are underpaid, under appreciated and it is a good old boy system. if you aren't a service rep moving barrels all day you will never get promoted. Once a year they fix your commissions so you can never make too much money.

Hire people who are managers and not the good old boy uneducated unprofessional service reps.

I don't know.

I have been working at Safety-Kleen

Pros

everyone is nice, seems like a nice place to work.

Cons

tremendous amount of information, I had people calling on a cell phone
    wondering if I was getting it, and I was just a ride along, ahh with the all the other
    reviews, I don't know, if there is nothing out there take the job otherwise take a hike.

get a training center, especially for amount of paperwork you expect people to understand.

Branch General Manager

Current Employee - Branch General Manager
    Current Employee - Branch General Manager

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Immediate supervisor is a great coach, corporate staff in Richardson is respectful and supportive. Pay and benefits are competitive.

Cons

Turbulent time with recent acquisition by Clean Harbors, people are concerned with their future.

Senior management has done a great job in changing the organizational structure to be one where the field pulls support from corporate, rather than a heirarchal blueprint. Please don't bring us back to the antiquated model.

Safety Kleen was tolerable and pleasant bought by clean harbors

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

OK pay, the people that survived the acquisition are mostly pleasant

Cons

Unstable, overworked with no benefit, unorganized and completely no regard for the people they are taking advantage of. Clean harbors people are abrasive and disrespectful, and very inconsistant.

Try to understand the needs of your employees and be more consistent and rewarding.