Safety-Kleen

Updated January 22, 2015
Updated January 22, 2015
2.6

Jerry E. Correll

Pros
  • Good Benefits if you are single (in 10 reviews)

• great pay and benefits, used to be great place to work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Safety Kleen is transforming to be a duplicate of Clean Harbors and it is a messy transition (in 15 reviews)

• The numbers upper management want to manage are scorecards that are made up of activities not results (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Safety-Kleen was a very good company to work for but since bought the company has gone down hill

Former Employee - Transportation Coordinator in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Transportation Coordinator in Richardson, TX

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They cared about their employees and customs., Flex hours

Cons

Since bought the car not about employees, knowledge,experience and they care for customers or vendors anymore.

Great Position....but want TOO MUCH from workers!

Current Employee - Driver
    Current Employee - Driver

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love my job as a driver! Once I'm out the office in a truck it's like FREEDOM!
    The Medical Benefits are very good since we been on with Clean Harbors.

Cons

I'm just a driver and get NO Commission..which is fine, because money doesn't mean much to me as long as I ENJOY my position. BUT Management puts DRIVERS on routes meant for SSRs which is not too fair...just let the driver drive(or transport) and not have to do any services. I like to HELP OUT when needed BUT if I'm doing a service that has me working OT, that means time AWAY FROM MY FAMILY!
    And I think that's the issue OVERALL with this company...They want to pull in as much money as they can using ANY resource even drivers that aren't suppose to be doing that job/service.
    The SUMMER TIME is the most busy time for this company...which means more HOURS at Work(10-14 hours a day). And if it's near the end of the month and the branch needs to meet their QUOTA, prepare for alot of OT.
    The Management says.."We care about Family", can't care too much if they want you to WORK on Saturdays..at times even 3 Saturdays in a row!
    BTW..if the monthly Quota overall is coming up short and you wanna go on Vacation..expect a NO!
    Example: You wanna take 3 days off for vacation, they only give you 1...and that's all you get because reaching the Quota(money goal) is MORE IMPORTANT than any FAMILY time you will spend....right Safety Kleen?

You think this is only happening at my branch?
    It's not...I can tell you that

I only been on for 2 years and don't know much about "The Old days" of SK. But if the employees that been working for the company for YEARS know it was better back then...Then why not look at what was done back in the day and BETTER YOUR COMPANY.
    You can't better your company with money...but you can with RESPECT for the customers who are dedicated to you and employees who SWEAT over the long hours you command us to do.

Not safe, not clean

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time

Pros

Hours were okay. You don't have to work much overtime, so there is a good work/life balance. Other than that I can't think of much good things to say about the company.

Cons

Many of the workers at the Denton plant are of the rural, uneducated variety and some are quite bigoted. Management have a careless attitude. The company's pay is on the low scale. The whole place is dirty, even the decontamination areas (e.g. the shower areas) where people are supposed to wear protective clothing to prevent the spread of contamination of very toxic substances. They will hire anyone off the street regardless of their past history, criminal or otherwise, which could be a pro or con depending on who you are.

There's nothing I can say they haven't heard many times already.

Sales

Current Employee - Market Sales Specialist

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Always trying to find new products

Cons

Constantly changing the pay structure

Stay in tune with the people in the street keep the pay structure understandable

Good company with good people.

Current Employee - Management in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Management in DFW, TX

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits with the ability to move up. Great training and a leader in the industry. A large product line to sale from.

Cons

Almost too large you can become a number and not a person at times. Being so large they do not think outside the box at times.

Focus on your best assets your people.

Was a great company until i got canned along with 250 other people when Clean Harbors took over

Former Employee - Branch Dispatcher in North Amityville, NY
    Former Employee - Branch Dispatcher in North Amityville, NY

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time

Pros

I had a great BGM I was the branch dispatcher until position was eliminated corporate wide

Cons

Now a part of Clean Harbors Upper MGM lied about the acquisition!!

Very short sided on the acquisition lost a lot of talented people!!

It is a paycheck

Current Employee - Market Sales Specialist

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You can get hired in to Safety Kleen in entry level positions (warehouse, service rep, sales) with a high school diploma and a clean driving record. For that level of education, the wages are respectable. Constantly changing environment. You are on the clock 6 to 6 Monday to Friday, but when you leave for the day, you leave work behind. No weekend work except on rare occasions (short handed branch, training). Home every night.

Cons

You will be overloaded with training in your first weeks. You will not remember any of it, but will be expected to know all of it and more. OJT is virtually non-existent, you learn by trial and error. If you have a good Branch Admin you can ask questions of, or make friends with another person in your job, you might make it long enough to learn your job. There are two types of people at Safety-Kleen: Those who have been with them less than 2 years, and lifers. All management positions are outside hires, this is a major change from 10 years ago. Safety-Kleen has always been top heavy with management (4 or 5 layers of middle managers). Since being bought by Clean Harbors we have picked up another set of management that is just as top heavy and even less responsive... it is their way or the highway. Whatever job you are hired in as, and at whatever pay level, is more than likely going to be the job and wages you have 5 years later.

Go back to promoting good employees. A Branch Manager who has worked the dock and run a route knows the job his employees need to do and how to do it. Sales Managers should be hired from successful MSS's who know the job. Stop putting "gotchas" in the pay plans. Stop changing focus every few months (place parts washers, land oil accounts, increase profit of current business and fire unprofitable customers, use competitive pricing to gain market share, etc.) Stop trying to re-invent the wheel. Stop penalizing sales for doing well with "true ups" and caps on commissions.

Management In search of all mighty dollar(for themselves)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. By no means great

Cons

Long hours for the pay. Management style is -what have you done for me lately? Do not give any thought to the individuals needs and expect a company above all attitude. If you can't kiss butt don't even think about working here.

Need to start realizing your people are your assets not your slaves. Do actual managing and stop BULLYING people into getting your way.

Over worked

Former Employee - Market Sales Specialist in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Market Sales Specialist in Jackson, MS

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to work 60 to 80 hours a week and make 45k per year. Its a great job.

Cons

Senior management. They are a top heavy company. People @ corp get anything they want while people @ the branches do without.

Find something else to do so the people in the branches can survive.

the worst working experience I ever had

Former Employee - Market Sales Specialist in Elgin, IL
    Former Employee - Market Sales Specialist in Elgin, IL

I worked at Safety-Kleen full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There aren't any, except you will be smarter than your management team at every level.

Cons

You are underpaid, under appreciated and it is a good old boy system. if you aren't a service rep moving barrels all day you will never get promoted. Once a year they fix your commissions so you can never make too much money.

Hire people who are managers and not the good old boy uneducated unprofessional service reps.