Safeway Canada

Updated January 2, 2015
2.6

Safeway Canada President and COO Chuck Mulvenna
Chuck Mulvenna

Pros
  • They provide a decent salary and benefits (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible hours, many different departments to try new things (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No full-time oppurtunies unless your management (in 5 reviews)

• Management employs many associates so that everyone is part time and does not get any benefits/insurance (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Night Stocker

I worked at Safeway Canada

Pros

Interesting experince, no interaction with people

Cons

Work night shifts, bad sleeping cycles

I worked for them as a order selector in the warehouse

I worked at Safeway Canada

Pros

you are just talking to the talk man everyday throughout your shift,

Cons

management push workers to their limit
    management follow and spy on workers whether they are working or no
    talking is prohibited

okay

I have been working at Safeway Canada part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The flexible schedule is nice, especially if like me you are a student and need to be able to work the schedule around classes.

Cons

This place is okay to work for in the short term. i would not recommend making working here a permanent career choice as there is little to no room for advancement.

It was good, but because of terrible management, my experience wasn't the greatest.

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Dauphin, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Dauphin, MB (Canada)

I worked at Safeway Canada part-time (more than a year)

Pros

union job, good hours, fair pay, you have rights

Cons

bad management, understaffed, trouble with time off

Pay more attention to management choices as well as making sure all your departments are well staffed so it doesn't put increased stress on other employee's backs.

takes care of their employees

Former Employee - Deli Clerk
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk

I worked at Safeway Canada part-time

Pros

management is on your side if you do your job right. adjusting for shifts. good training provided and available to help.

Cons

not many hours. can't move up the ladder fast because some people been working for 20+ years. you do get a raise every now and then, but job title remains the same.

Alright.

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Safeway Canada part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice customers. Nice coworkers. Wage is alright.

Cons

Not enough shifts. Some bad custormers.

The Safeway Family- ha!

Former Employee - Department Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Safeway Canada full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Was an employee for nearly 30 years. Worked hard, had good evals, progressed along fine. Missed many family events due to "store" responsibility. They have to come first, you have to be a " team" player, although depending on your district manager, the definition of that changes. So, if you've never had any issues and think you're in good standing and are being told, "we've got your back", watch out! If the new DM doesn't like you and something going on with the Vice President, you are done- literally! No loyalty, no truth. You'll be set up to fail and its either you'll quit, or they'll demote you. Apparently what you've done in the past, has no reflection on the now and you will have no future. It's much like the movie "The Firm", and no one has the integrity to tell the truth! Especially once, Chuck Mulvenna is involved. He has no issue belittling and yelling at staff. Don't believe the facade of Mr. Nice Guy! In short, watch your back and make sure if you are female, you go along with the new female "rule" and if you are male, make sure you don't rely on what you were always told- integrity is of utmost importance, because the people you are working for are no better than modern day mafia and have no problem Lying, to any and all of us. To a company I had always stood up for, admired, and was proud of, let's just hope Sobey's president gives the western world here in Canada what they deserve and won't see coming.

Cons

All of the above and more. Long, unreasonable hours, unreasonable expectations, double standard rules and policies and unrealistic goals that are impossible to attain.

Time to pack your bags and bring some honesty back to the workplace. Walk the walk,for once.

(I worked in the Starbucks at Safeway) I was always stressed and staff changed constantly

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Prince Albert, SK (Canada)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Prince Albert, SK (Canada)

I worked at Safeway Canada full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Learning to make drinks is fun
    -Getting to know the regular customers is fun
    -Talking to customers is also fun
    - You can experiment making new drinks when you have free time
    -I worked fulltime so I got really good benefits (through safeway)
    -You got 10% off SAFEWAY BRAND items (if you can call that a pro lol)

Cons

-YOU DON'T GET FREE DRINKS OR SNACKS ON YOUR BREAKS (unlike the corporate stores)
    -Training was bad because the kiosks are so tiny
    -If it's busy you're never able to talk a break
    - You have to abide by Safeways dresscode (No funky hair or tattoos or anything to make you stand out as unique)
    - You don't really get enough time in the day to open and close the booth
    - You also may have a hard time getting it cleaned especially when it's really busy
    - Most people don't get trained properly
    - No one uses the timers to tell when stuff goes bad (ITS MANDATORY) ex. 20 minute Coffee timers, coffee can often be left in the containers for hours and it's supposed to be changed every 20 minutes.
    -When training you can feel very pressured to make things when it's busy.
    - They usually hire high schoolers and often times they don't show up, fool around or steal.
    -When customers mention the "Secret Menu" and get mad when we tell them it doesn't exist.
    -When customers get mad because we don't do birthday drinks
    - Safeway Starbucks' don't do the email deals Starbucks sends out so you have to pay full price all the time.
    -You get your Safeway training off old computers from the 80's/90's with outdated videos and questions.
    - I never got my raise for being a "Certified Barista" (I was already certified when I started) so for a year I was making about $10.20 (Certified Baristas start at $11.75)
    - When I became the Assistant Manager I never got a raise...
    - When you try stand your ground (and when its in the rules) but a manager says otherwise you get laughed at and you can't talk to HR because they are best friends with them.

****The deli is supposed to deal with their chairs/tables but they are "so busy" that starbucks is often left having to clean them off after the lunch rushes and at the end of the day****

I worked at a Safeway Starbucks in another city and it was ran 100 times better than this one. Store Manager was always trying to blame others for his problems and it was often stressful because you'd be in his office and he'd be looking for everyone to feel sorry for him.

Open up a corporate store in Cornerstone and I will definitely start working there again.
    Be more generous with the raises if you want to keep employees
    Give benefits faster
    Get updated computers and training videos

Cashier

Former Employee - Clerk Cashier in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Clerk Cashier in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I worked at Safeway Canada part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Minimum wage. Overall okay to work to bring money home.

Cons

No company discount for employees. Management employs many associates so that everyone is part time and does not get any benefits/insurance. Lack of hours per week. Management only cares about store stats and not its workers. Thank God for the union that protects the rights of the workers.

good company to work for

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in West Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in West Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Safeway Canada part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great part time work for people with young families

Cons

some late nights and lots of weekends