Safeway

2.8 1,008 reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards

Robert Edwards

1,008 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days"
    in 39 reviews
  • "Good benefits, strong union, nearly impossible to get fired"
    in 38 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models"
    in 44 reviews
  • "On call, Shifting, Working on weekends periodically (but I was still able to maintain work-life balance)"
    in 20 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Opportunities to grow with the company

Training Generalist (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsGreat staff, leadership, career advancement opportunities, large operating area, opportunities to go back to school with financial help from the organization and diverse job opportunities.

Conscompensation, unwillingness to change and high pressure. Retail grocery is a tough industry with such limited ability to mark up products that affect the bottom line. You can be successful in this environment only if you are willing to put in the time and effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees as much as you can even though you may not be able to do anything about what they are requesting or need. Also, more emphasis on front end hours- although that is nothing new.

Eh' life is what you make it.

PIC/Head Clerk (Former Employee)
    Clinton, MD

Prosmany opportunity's to advance if you are ambitious.

Consthey expect alot from you with minimal support.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are not just soldiers carrying out orders from corporate. You are also the buffer between corporate and your employees. be compassionate.

your crew makes your job

Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee)
    Sausalito, CA

ProsPeople are making decent money but like to have fun. Some hate life.

ConsCompany makes you say stupid, template stuff annoying to customers

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My first job - Left to attend college

Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee)
    Woodbridge, VA

ProsTypically work with 2-5 other courtesy clerks doing simple tasks, including bagging, gathering carts, helping customers, finding items, and some cleaning here and there. Overtime pay and higher pay for working holidays (in Woodbridge, VA). Potential to promote to cashier.

ConsCan get really boring for late night shifts (3:30pm-12am). Minimum wage, which is expected.

A decent job with good benefits

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsPay is competitive but it takes a while to get raises. The benefits are outstanding. The union is helpful if you're in a jam. Managers are a mixed bag.

ConsThe work-life balance could be better, and schedules can be all over the place. Training is sometimes non-existent. Pay could be better for new employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat workers more like equals, make scheduling more consistent, and increase pay, especially for new employees.

Typical retail environment

Deli Clerk (Former Employee)
    Everett, WA

ProsThey give you 10% discount on Safeway brands and discounts for other companies if you join SCEA which is nice. If you want to move up you can but don't expect to have a life outside of work environment. Hours are pretty much all over the board so hard to plan a social life.

ConsManagement is more into making their bonuses than caring about employees. If you get hurt management gets mad and isn't nice to you because it messes up their safety record. Also if you are sick they expect you to work even when you are a food handler. Not a good health wise for the general public

Advice to Senior ManagementDepends on the store, some management is great, others don't treat there employees with little respect.

Continues to get worse and now going into the unknown with the buy out.

Supply Chain Operations Analyst II (Current Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsAwesome Gym
    Great Health Care center which helps save on health care if you sign up for the PPO plan.

ConsOverworked & underpaid when compared to the same position within other companies
    horrible communication between departments within the company
    Ridiculously high cost for health care coverage

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of always trying to fix things at the end of the communication chain, try working on fixing things at the beginning and teach employees how their job actually affects the jobs of people in other departments.

Starter Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMeet new people and gain knowledge

ConsThe pay was not worth the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to keep your employee's happy too.

Overworked, Underpaid, with Daily Harassment

Bookkeeper (Current Employee)

ProsThe Union sets rules that keep corporate/management from outright abusing their employees. We also get health benefits. A lot of co-workers make great friends and become "part of your family," in a way.

ConsWe work way too hard for too little pay. Managers frequently give terrible schedules, either cutting everyone's hours or flipping people's daily hours around so they have to keep changing their sleep schedule multiple times a week. Technology is outdated and frequently breaks or glitches, causing stress for both employees and customers. Safeway keeps pushing the whole "world class service" but makes it difficult for employees to deliver when there aren't enough people scheduled and all the customers are yelling at us because they have to wait in line. If customers become verbally abusive, management often solves the problem by giving them free stuff (and occasionally berating the employees). We are often given conflicting orders and get chewed out by someone no matter what we do. Morale is low and people frequently call in sick or quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's well known that management gets a bonus at the end of the year if they cut enough employee hours. I get that they want the money (we all do), but this is causing considerable harm to both the employees and the business itself.

Stressful.

ProsFlexible work schedules. There are some great people that work for Safeway.

ConsLow pay and high demands. Lack of courage of upper management to admit there are not enough hours to get the job done properly. Lack of courage from the leadership to be honest and straight forward with employees. They tell employees there are no plans to close stores because of the merger. They told us not long ago Albertsons, even after they were bought out, had a bleak future to now they have made such a miraculous turn around because they picked up a wash cloth and cleaned their stores in 2006.

Advice to Senior ManagementCourage isn't just being able to beat people down but admit when you are wrong. Stop the wasteful spending on store visits and reinvest those dollars into labor at ground zero. This not the year to allow people to justify their existence by visiting stores because it has never been more obvious than what is happening now.

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!

Safeway Videos

Safeway – Why Work for Us?

Our employees are the foundation of our success – they are the heart of what we do. By developing a personalized career, fostering a healthy lifestyle, and participating in a culture of innovation, our employees impact… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Safeway reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Safeway CEO Robert Edwards. All 1,008 reviews posted anonymously by Safeway employees.