Safeway

2.8 1,007 reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards

Robert Edwards

1,007 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days"
    in 39 reviews
  • "Good benefits, strong union, nearly impossible to get fired"
    in 38 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models"
    in 44 reviews
  • "On call, Shifting, Working on weekends periodically (but I was still able to maintain work-life balance)"
    in 20 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Horrible Upper Managemment

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Oakland, CA

ProsGreat people to work with within the stores. Matching first 5% for 401k. Company values (if adhered to by all)

ConsInsane amount of hours worked, with little to no personal life due to the expectations of upper management. Expectations rise as hours allotted to the stores diminish. Unrealistic goals set forth by the company to meet your bonus scales.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork in the stores so you can see how cutting hours affects EVERY facet of operations. The bottom line means nothing when your turnover is so high due to people quitting over the unrealistic expectations.

One of the worst retail jobs I've ever had

Food Clerk (Former Employee)

ProsFine for an entry-level retail job. Unions usually provide decent benefits.

ConsLittle room for growth. Lots of politics and bureaucracy. Very low salaries. Most job mobility is horizontal - if you move to a different state your wage could be cut drastically. Frequently short-staffed to the point where both the employees and the customers are stressed out and miserable. Before you work for Safeway, RESEARCH THE UNION. Go to three or four different stores in the same district and ask some of the employees 1.) what it's REALLY like to work for Safeway, and 2.) What their union contract is like. It'll be a real eye-opener.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick out a store that you _know_ has been severely neglected - a store on a bad side of town that hasn't been remodeled since the 1970's (you know, the 'problem stores' that usually have the highest amount of robberies? We all know that YOU know which Safeways fall into that category...), and spend three months working at an entry-level position. You'll never fully understand what it's really like to work for Safeway until you've done that.

Not a place for non-retail career!

ProsJust a where you go to get experience if you can stomach the 3-5 yrs there. It's a good place if you plan of a retail career, you will get paid as a store manager but can lose out on bonus if the upper management doesn't like you. Can get moved to a lower performing store if upper management want their favorite in that store.

ConsThe Eastern division backstage is cheap and unrewarding, culture of cronyism, education and qualification doesn't count for much in this company. Backstage managers are rude and the nice ones are warned not to continue with treating employees fairly. Not much regard for work/life balance either. Several lawsuits by own employees on racism and discrimination.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote fairly, have some regard for your own employees, work/life balance counts a lot. Stop with the cronyism.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Klamath Falls Oregon bakery is a joke!

Bakery Clerk (Former Employee)
    Klamath Falls, OR

ProsIt was something to put down on other applications as experience.

ConsIt's a joke of a job. Bakery is an employees worst nightmare. Power struggles and gossip within the department make it hard to get your work done. Some employees don't wear gloves when making food. Gross! The customer areas are a mess and the department is an obstacle course because others expect clerks to do their work along with their own. Good luck cleaning. Youll get yelled at. So glad I left that place.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. The power struggle between people with seniority interferes with getting things done.

No good deed goes unpunished

Head Clerk (Current Employee)
    Longmont, CO

ProsSteady paycheck, acceptable benefits, flexible hours for students (only when its convenient)

ConsWork load increases exponentially every week with no compensation, hard work goes unrecognized and unappreciated daily.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take into consideration when cutting hours and reducing pay to employees working at store level, that every dime that safeway makes ultimately comes from the hard work of the "Lowdogs" and "Grunts" working in the stores. If you have to save money somewhere look into some of the unneccacary, higher salary positions backstage.

Worst company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay, only decent if you are in management

ConsSenior management is so concerned about losing their job they don't care about their employees. They certainly have the good ole boy network down to a science.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up! The competition is kicking your butt!

Will suck the liffe out of you.

Department Manager (Former Employee)
    Everett, WA

ProsPromotions come easy here. A little too easy.

ConsNo social life. Heavy work loads. Poor wages for the work you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people how you would like to be treated.

So sad to have a company that cares very little for its employees.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was a job. I enjoyed working in the Starbucks aspect of the store, but the fact that Safeway didn't allow us to have tips or the free coffee was a disappointment. I now work for Starbucks the company and it is 100X better.

ConsManagement doesn't care about its employees. They don't give their employees the credit they deserve and yet demand demand demand results.

Advice to Senior ManagementCeos, presidents, and so on down the line. Learn servant leadership,implement it into your people. That will make you a better company.

Stressful!

Safeway - Starbucks Barista (Current Employee)
    Puyallup, WA

ProsI guess the pros of working at Safeway are that if you like working with the public it can be fun. Especially if you have regulars that you get to know!

ConsThe cons are that there is never any manager feedback unless it's negative and you often get that about something you have no control over. There's garbage on the floor in your area! Ok, I'm busy with nonstop customers. How about a courtesy clerk take care of that!? Why is my line so long you ask? Well, how about because I'm the only one here doing the work of 2 or 3 people! Give me a break already!

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to give some positive feedback once in a while. A happy employee that feels appreciated will be a more motivated and happier worker!

At times very rewarding at other very frustrating

ProsThrough my time in Safeway I have learned way more skills and practical experience dealing with people and managing others.

ConsLeadership constantly holds you back either by not giving you help when needed or treating employees with very little respect to their own personal lives.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need a better connection between store managers and the employees they manage. If I don't feel comfortable coming to my boss with problems or solutions than we have a bigger issue.

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!

Safeway Videos

Safeway – Why Work for Us?

Our employees are the foundation of our success – they are the heart of what we do. By developing a personalized career, fostering a healthy lifestyle, and participating in a culture of innovation, our employees impact… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Safeway reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Safeway CEO Robert Edwards. All 1,007 reviews posted anonymously by Safeway employees.