Safeway

Safeway Reviews in Phoenix, AZ

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards

Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days(in 42 reviews)

• Nice people, they promote from within, offer good benefits for mgmt(in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is below most retail mgmt, requires ALL of your time no work life balance(in 27 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models(in 46 reviews)

51 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work for!

Bookkeeper (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsFlexible with scheduling, fast promotions, and easy work. The management is really nice and as long as you do your work there should be no problem.

ConsIf you've been employed for Safeway for many years there is only so much they can pay you. The only way to get raises is if the cost of living goes up or get promoted to a manager.

A good job first job for experience

Front End Manager (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

Prosbenefits, flexible schedules, friendly co-workers

Consmanagement, hard to get promotions, not recognized for hard work

Advice to Senior ManagementGive raises to people who work hard.

Low Salary High Stress Work Environment

Inventory Control (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe people were really nice(staff members). Management is pretty lax except when they have a deadline to meet or district managers were coming in to inspect then they were very tough on everyone

ConsAlmost no pay raises for me, sometimes they put extra shifts on me when I was already covering because some employees were calling in

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions are not easy to get and you really have to stick your head out there just to be noticed, I would advise management to ease up on some staff members

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst experience ever. Almost hysterical!

Manager (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThere are a lot of opportunities for process improvements. In addition, the employees are nice - confused and in a daze but albeit nice.

ConsTerrible leadership with old ways of thinking and not qualified to lead. Leaders do not care about their employees at all and not willing to change their mentality whatsoever. No work life balance and they like it that way! Leaders always gossiping about everyone and everything. Very unprofessional. It was like being in high school all over again!

Advice to Senior ManagementA complete reorganization would do you well. Make "leaders" apply for their jobs once again. Many existing leaders in their positions simply because of nepotism. This is so 1970's way of running a business.

Customer Service Agent

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsCompeting salary compared to similar positions with different company.
    Work life balance good, reasonable hours.

ConsAdvancement opportunity was based on liking of Director at the time. The Director has been let go since I have left the company.

Lots to do, understaffed and paid

Seafood Clerk (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsNice coworkers and good product

ConsJob resp. list is neverending

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation for performance?

Ok for a short term or side job

Wine Steward (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe people you work with are generally cool. The work is not challenging if you're just punching a clock.

ConsAdvancement can be limited, hours are always on the line, and schedules are variable. It's entry level work at the store, and the corporate side is a bit cutthroat with some favoritism. If you're a Safeway person, you're ok, but otherwise you dead end quickly. I hear corporate changes are only making it worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to the boots on the ground. And reward top performers a little better.

Good for entry level but not for long term

Assistant Deli Manager (Former Employee) Glendale, AZ

ProsIf you have a fun team like I did then work goes by fast and is enjoyable, easy work, not very intense or hard. Offers great customer service which makes you feel better about your work

ConsI was promoted and then got sick for 3 days and I came back to rumors that I was demoted, talked to management and they claimed the other manager was supposed to tell me, basically gave me the run around. Depending on Management, you may be working holidays, or bad hours. Schedule changes every single week. Cheap company and little appreciation for above and beyond employees

Apc

APC (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

Prosvery pleasant family like company

ConsDoesn't treat all the employees the same for the situations given.

Advice to Senior Managementconsider each employee as equal to the other in the situations.

Meat Dept. Manager

Meat Department Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGood pay, except only $1.30 more than a journeyman cutter. Also great health insurance, does cost $15/ week now though.

ConsNo employer contribution to 401k, only retirement pension which they keep pushing back, it's now 67 to retire. Upper management have been in their same roles too long and are out of touch with reality and how to effectively run the business. Meat MDO and merchandisers micro manage everything and then blame the meat managers when their ideas don't work. Upper management also "only hear their own voice" when conversations arise. When their ideas fail, and you tell them, they ignore you and demand you just "do it anyways".

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your management team under you and your employees. The people in the store all day long know what sells, what doesn't, and what will and will not work. Try listening more than you speak.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!