Safeway

2.9
1,301 Reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards
Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days (in 47 reviews)

• Good benefits, strong union, nearly impossible to get fired (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is really off considering your schedule changes drastically every week (in 38 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

67 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun, fulfilling, but very demanding

Current Employee - First Assistant Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - First Assistant Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Potential for growth, large Team environment, ever changing

Cons

Salary compared to hours. Salary is based off of 40 hour work week, yet you are scheduled 50. Very rarely do you work just 50.

Better get competitive with your wages because water cooler talk is that everyone is jumping ship! Haggen and others are calling employees.

New World

Current Employee - Staffing Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Staffing Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

Work-life balance, benefits for perm employees, being able to work independently, the relationships built

Cons

The merger and no idea of conversion

It was an easy-going place to work.

Former Employee - Cashier in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at Safeway part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was close to my house, and my dad works for the company's warehouse so I already knew what the ins and outs of the company were.

Cons

The hours were sometimes difficult to pick from because I'm still in school so they didn't accommodate that well.

Great company but is changing

Current Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Safeway (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company nice place to work

Cons

Being sold
    Unsure of future opportunities

Cut costs too top heavy

Throw to the Sharks!

Former Employee - Deli Clerk/Cashier in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk/Cashier in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Safeway part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent hours, 10% off discount

Cons

Work-life balance is really off considering your schedule changes drastically every week! A lot of promises are made, but rarely does management follow through. All training is done on a computer for about a week. Once you have passed the tests, you are immediately on your own! Under-staffed constantly. Breaks are 10-15 minutes and are scheduled by management! Unfair! After your first week, they will have you opening/closing a department all by yourself with so little hands-on training. On top of that, they criticize you if you ask for assistance or take a slightly longer time closing a department even though you are there by yourself to do work that (at another location I worked for) is done with 2-3 employees total. Pay is LOW, very LOW! And I never received my employee discount card!!!

Raise the wages, especially for older employees who have more responsibilites (i.e. those who are 18+ or at least 21+.) And when you see an excellent working busting their butt, reward them with a raise. Pats on the shoulder go but so far, and not far enough to pay for my living expenses. Lower-level clerks/cashiers interact with customers more than any other positions there. SHOW YOU CARE!

Management is everything

Former Employee - Customer Service in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Safeway part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked their for four years starting as a courtesy clerk, to becoming a cashier, to working in produce, and finally working in customer service. They have a lot of different jobs to transition into, so you won't get too bored.

Cons

I personally don't like to be micromanaged. The first two years working their I had a management team that trusted me, and I always got the job done, and then some. The final two years working their was with a team that was big on micromanaging. This made work unpleasant.

Ask people how they would like to be managed.

Not one of the team

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Safeway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The health benefits were amazing.

Cons

No support from Human Resources or other management

1 Yr + Deli clerk - started 7/13

Current Employee - Deli Clerk/Cashier in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk/Cashier in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Safeway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome customers, great coworkers, and fun job once you get the swing of things. It is orgasmic when you get to the point of knowing where almost everything is located throughout the store and know your department so well that you can help the customer w/ any request that they may have.

Cons

Irate/ignorant/harassing management that informed me on 9/21/14 that whoever sells the most product within their shift will get more hours and promised for the 3rd time that they want to promote me to either deli supervisor or produce manager by 10/14. I've told my boss, "We're your teammates, you can't treat us like this." And was told, "Well, you're not very good teammates, because there is still work to be done." I told my boss that constant negative reinforcement drains my energy levels, which in turn makes me less productive. He mocked me by saying,"Well, how would YOU run this place if this was YOUR business? You need to take the bad with the good." My team has to deal with the question,"What did you do yesterday? The other deli person says you are the one who did a bad job on my windows. You really aren't going above and beyond your job duties; therefore, you don't deserve a raise or promotion." My entire store works through their breaks and lunches - and off the clock - when we get a rush of customers.

Inhumane treatment of human beings will be your downfall. Ignorance, verbal abuse, belittling, and slander are NOT healthy workplace practices. Please destroy whatever manual instructs you to behave this way.

Too big of a workload, not enough time or compensation.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Safeway full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ok pay. Decent benefits. Fair amount of pto.

Cons

Huge workload. Slow promotion process. Upper-management is big on favoritism.

providing good customer services to customers, and very friendly person

Current Employee - Home Shopper in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Home Shopper in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Safeway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

work environment is good, co workers are very friendly and helpful when needed. very organized and safe environment

Cons

fast moving work environment, working odd schedules such as night shifts morning shifts and evening shifts

stay on task, try not to be late, and do your best and provide good customer services to all customers