Safeway

Safeway Reviews in Pleasanton, CA

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards

Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days (in 42 reviews)

• Nice people, they promote from within, offer good benefits for mgmt (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is below most retail mgmt, requires ALL of your time no work life balance (in 28 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights
139 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The Growth is there...somewhere

Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsGood experience, ability to move to difference parts of the IT organization in order to get a well rounded skill set. They bring in enough new products/platforms so the opportunity to gain the knowledge is there, just wait, they will buy that too.

ConsThe salary doesn't keep up with your growth and neither does the promotions.

Good people but has a flawed business model

Communications (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsGreat philanthropy and people are very friendly. Products are great and stores are beautiful.

ConsVery old technology and old school management style. Trust and Fairness is an issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to give employees the loyalty that you ask employees to give.

Has been a stable work environment until recently. I've worked with some great people.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsStable, east bay corporate location. Decent benefits and onsite amenities. Company is a leader in the industry, but the industry is grocery. Health and wellness and loyalty are two areas we excel.

ConsOld school mentality, hierarchical set up, dated corporate environment. Salaries are notoriously below average, but it's in the East Bay.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring the company into this century. Be open to new ideas and value all levels of employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not recommended as a long term employer.

National Promotional Pricing Specialist (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsBecause it is a corporate office, you can rely on steady raises and benefits, which is great. The pay is decent, and it is nice to have a team to work with. People are friendly.

ConsOLD software and working processes as well as general business practices.

Nice place to work with room to grow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

Pros- Good work life balance
    - Upper management cares about employees
    - Many opportunities to move around company
    - Beautiful campus with free gym access
    - Seems to be evolving with time

Cons- Very big, there are so many departments and people that it's a bit confusing to get things done quickly and efficiently

Advice to Senior ManagementReview old practices that may be outdated

A good place to start in the corporate world; I would not plan on staying too long

Promotion Specialist (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

Prosgreat place to learn. Depending on your team, it can be a fun work environment. Easy commute. Fairly low stress. Conservative company values.

ConsPoor compensation for work load. Seem to have conflicting strategies when it comes to promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementSmall awards and recognition go a long way when it comes to team success

Good but slow and boring

Manager (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsSteady eddy if you like that

ConsBoring if you prefer action

Advice to Senior ManagementMotivate your people to work smarter and harder

It has been a very good experience so far. Friendly and easy to work with. lot of diversity

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

Prosgood work life balance and not too aggressive schedules

Consno cutting edge technologies. there is still some stuff that runs on mainframes

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great HR experience, iffy otherwise

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

Pros- The internship program itself was phenomenal; HR did an excellent job creating a program that would help its interns network and effectively navigate the company. We had intern activities nearly every week that allowed us to meet each other and socialize, both in and out of the Safeway context. We also had the opportunity to meet top execs in the company (like former CEO Steve Burd), hear their stories and ask them questions.
    - My department did a great job of incorporating me into their work. I was introduced to everyone and invited to any outings that they had. Everyone I met encouraged me to ask for help if I ever needed it.

Cons- The intern experience is highly dependent on the department. Mine didn't seem to know what to do with me; others seemed to throw their interns the administrative work; but still, others had an excellent time, so it's really conditional.
    - My department did not give me nearly enough work to keep me occupied for an 8-5 job. I found myself sitting around waiting for emails without anything else to focus on.
    - Without going into detail about what department I worked in, the project I was assigned for my 10-week internship provided me ample free time but still somehow wasn't a project that I could reasonably expect to complete, due to its long-term scope.
    - The corporate culture is very traditional and old-fashioned, with most of the top-ranking execs being male and/or white.
    - Since this was my first internship I initially thought the pay was great, but I realized that it was not at all competitive.
    - No one seemed exceptionally excited to be there, and in fact, some employees looked downright tired and unhappy.

Advice to Senior Management- Get with the times and hire more diverse execs.
    - Emphasize to your staff the purpose of interns and give them real projects to complete throughout the duration of their internship.

Great internship.. may lead to career opportunities.

Marketing Strategies (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsCompany does a great job of integrating new interns to company culture.

ConsDidn't seem like there were many job perks besides normal salary and compensation.

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!