Safeway

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards

Robert Edwards

43 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Loved working for them, started as cart clerk, within 1.5 yrs was mgr. of the floral dept!!

FTD Floral Manager (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsThe company was always great to me, they supported me and pushed me hard through the ranks. They saw my potential and stood behind me and was always helping me to get the training I needed to accomplish what I needed to do. The management put me into all areas of the store I was interested in working in and let me test out if I liked it and if I was good at them. Keep in mind I was a VERY good people person and had already proven to be a hard worker and had passed the customer service tests over and over with 10's and positive comments so there was nothing to be lost by trying to elevate me to a higher position. People in the store naturally listened and followed me anyways. When I tried the floral department I immediately showed a talent of arranging flowers and had an eye for design, so they had the FTD florist train me as their "helper" I worked there for about 6 mths and was moved to another store close by part time as an assistant manager by the regional rep. and stayed part-time at my original store the rest of the time. Two months later I was managing my own store. There are very few companies that treat their employees that well and give them those types of opportunities that fast!! I will always be thankful for that, i would not have ever left except that I started my family. I also had excellent benefits!!!

ConsI did not like that some positions required being part of a union. I had nothing but bad experiences with the union!! Some loved the union, but they screwed me over a few times and I was happy that as a mgr. I did not have to be in it anymore! The pay was also not as much as I thought it should be, there were many others that were making more in the store, and I know other florists at other companies that were making much more.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would raise pay and regulate hours better for those not in control.

Decent place to work, for the most part

Deli Clerk (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

Prosno issues with getting paied

Constoo focused on larger profit margins at the expense of workers

Not a bad segway

Second Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Hillsboro, OR

ProsFlexible hours are the best reason to work here. You can take time off in the middle of the week, work nights or just work weekends if you have school

ConsUnreliable hours and scheduling for employees

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better. Too many times customers can treat employees the way they want and management will not back them up

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overworked, underpaid, unorganized and rude customers

Fuel Station Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Beaverton, OR

ProsI liked my coworkers, stable employment, flexible schedule in my department.

ConsWhile my coworkers where all good people the majority lacked work ethics and common sense. The pay scale is terrible for lower level employees so if you can't move up to a better position you are stuck making barely above min. wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of the guys lower down and balance the work load. These are the people working the hardest and often the ones who will be representing your company to the general public. If you tale care of them it will only have a positive overall impact on the overall business.

safeway

Stock Clerk (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

Prospay,cookies,health insurance, discount also other co workers were nice

Conshard to get in to company

Lies Lies and more Lies

Meat Cutter (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsIts a job like all jobs nothing special here. You are just another one of the heard

ConsVery little upward movement. Low wages. They will lie about how much the union is aloud to pay you if you have never been part of the union no matter how many years you have been in the field.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employee before you loss the ones that care to work hard.

Hard work gets you no where

Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsI had a great manager so it was better than average

ConsFor the work I did, I did not deserve minimum wage. I worked extremely hard and took pride in my work but I never was able to move up or get a wage. Everyone looks down on courtesy clerks too. I worked the hardest and always had a smile on my face yet there was no where to go. I felt trapped and under paid for the work I did.

Advice to Senior ManagementBig on safety and it does show. I had a great manager, some coworkers did not.. so the experience people have had with Safeway depended on their manager and the culture THEY created.

Hard work

Order Selector (Current Employee)
    Clackamas, OR

ProsGreat pay and great benefits

ConsWork weekends and nights always

It's okay

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee)
    Vancouver, WA

ProsGood experience for students wanting to become pharmacists.
    Generally no super late nights or early mornings.
    Good pay.

ConsExpected to work at the drop of a hat. Especially when working as part of relief staff.
    Feels understaffed a lot of the time.

I stocked shelves, ordered product, and operated the cash register

Checker (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsI liked my coworkers but that is about all I can think of for pros

Conslabor budget constantly slashed so that it was impossible to get the job done properly and and safely

Advice to Senior Managementtry being an undercover boss for a week and maybe you will understand

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!

Safeway Videos

Safeway – Why Work for Us?

Our employees are the foundation of our success – they are the heart of what we do. By developing a personalized career, fostering a healthy lifestyle, and participating in a culture of innovation, our employees impact… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Safeway reviews and ratings in Portland, OR — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Safeway CEO Robert Edwards. All 43 reviews posted anonymously by Safeway employees.