Safeway

Updated Jul 28, 2014

2.8 1,028 reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards

Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days(in 42 reviews)

• Nice people, they promote from within, offer good benefits for mgmt(in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is below most retail mgmt, requires ALL of your time no work life balance(in 28 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models(in 46 reviews)

1,028 Employee Reviews

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGood company to work for, great benefits, room for growth. Employees get a 10% discount on corporate brand items, which are all very good.

ConsSometimes hard to move up, very often it's all in who you know or who likes you; some locations are worse than others. Right now they're going through a merger (2014) and not a lot is known as to the security of some positions. Depending on where you work, there can be very high expectations in exchange for "ok" pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should stop promoting people just because they're a favorite. They should start looking closer to the job other's do around them, and what their qualifications are.

Great Job, if you don't mind dealing with people

Grocery Checker (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsBeing a checker has it's advantages, you are face to face with customers all day long. So if that is what you like apply! There are openings all over. Ok that is all I have to say.

ConsCons, You have to deal with customers. Depending on what part of town you work in can change your opinion about the job. You may need to deal with scum, rich snobs or maybe you can get lucky and have wonderful customers all day. Haha.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees that can good ideas. Don't just sit there! Look at what is going on around you. Don't ignore us
    Help us help you.

Not what i was led to believe job was.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthe hours are consistant and great. Employees very friendly, willing to help..

ConsDo not give proper time for proper training. To much drama and gossping for my taste.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend the time and labor to train employees properly. Give them the knowledge to succeed. Given proper training you would have less turn around. It costs more to train a new employee than to retain them. Customers like to see familiar happy faces.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not bad company

ProsGreat coworkers, work with customers

ConsHours, coworkers, working with customers

Human Resource

Human Resources (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsI work for a great team and manager that encourages collaboration and teamwork. I've also build some really great professional and personal relationships at work.

ConsCompany culture is conservative, but I have seen improvements in the work environment at the Corporate offices. Career opportunities are very limited, depending on the team/department you're in.

Not a bad place

Cashier (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsThe floor managers were nice, environment was not too bad. Job was fairly easy.

ConsThe place i worked was understaffed and very busy and sometimes I was the only cashier working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Bakery Clerk

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere's never a dull moment in the bakery. You will always have something to do.

ConsYou are not paid for the amount of you work you complete. The Union is as useful as beans when it comes to your benefits as anyone who has worked less than 10 years for the company, and they don't take in account any prior retail experience you have when it comes to pay grade. No hazards pay.

OK

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsUnion company (great health care)

ConsMicromanagement issues, can be too much at times...

like any Grocery store job!

Cashier (Former Employee) Olney, MD

Pros*Union - increases in pay every quarter(by a few cents), quick action on complaints,
    *10% employee disc.
    *just for You program.
    * they will standup for the integrity of their cashiers which is great.

Cons*Schedule - they can change the schedule one day bfr the actual date and you won't know
    *growth - depending on the requirements of the store and the management there are extremely low chances of growth
    *seniority rule - whoever got hired first gets to go on vacation first. let say you put your vacation weeks in advance but someone who has been working there for more than you puts it in a request few days bfr the date gets the vacation or time off.
    *bunk/dump rule - individual hired bfr you can take ur day off or vacation time. results in negative feelings among coworkers

Advice to Senior Managementavoid favoritism, audit your senior management and have retail level staff give in suggestions.

Rewarding for those who can navigate a complex environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsGreat growth potential, lots of different areas to move into and get exposure to

ConsCan be very political, difficult to navigate, need an advocate or sponsor to advance

Advice to Senior ManagementMake regular recognition part of the leadership norm

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!