Safeway Reviews

2.7
1,167 Reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards
Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days (in 46 reviews)

• Nice people, they promote from within, offer good benefits for mgmt (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is really off considering your schedule changes drastically every week (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models (in 54 reviews)

More Highlights

Ready to go!

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk

I have been working at Safeway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at Safeway got me back into the work force after being unable to get a job for 2 years. You're union, which is definitely good, seeing as though store management will try to fire you, or write you up in circumstances that are not worthy of either of those things. Union works with you, and will help you if you need them. After your 90 day probation, it is just about impossible to be terminated. Which is good if you're aware of how irrational retail management can be.

Cons

Management is never supportive, the only time they talk to you is to push surveys, or to let you know when you have done something the 'wrong way', they will not give you enough hours to earn decent money, and their hours are never consistent. They always under-staff, and expect people to do the work of three people, and the pay makes it not worth it. They're not the best company to work for as far as being able to survive. Don't work here if you want to be able to afford rent, food, or clothes. I decided to go back to school, so I won't be stuck working in retail forever (hopefully, but I read the news), and am now in massive debt to make up for working for a large corporation that can't pay living wages. Meanwhile, they will give you food vouchers for their deli if you get a positive survey, but instead of doing that it would be nice if they just paid people enough to survive. They don't offer full time, but you can request it.

Be more consistent with scheduling; take into account that scheduling someone until midnight to be in at 6am the next day is gives a message that you do not care about the well-being of your workers. Be present: only giving negative feedback, locking yourselves in the office, running around the store telling employees that you're too busy to address any questions they have is also rude.. Listen to your employees; we have opinions too, Pay us better: we can't survive on so little pay, your turn over rate or employee attitudes would be better if you gave us living wages.

Old Boy's Club in the Bay Area

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is reasonable. Somewhat health focused for a corporate company, so it's OK to take some time our for exercise etc. Good location in relation to freeways.

Cons

Difficult to advance due to subjective definition of 'leadership qualities' that still holds true for old corporate America. Good if one fits the mold, not so good if you don't. No 401K matching.

Fractured - political culture, low morale, in-efficient headache

I have been working at Safeway full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee discounts on Safeway brand merchandise, exposure to many other CPG companies, comparable pay, on-site gym.

Cons

Extremely political culture with highly competitive back-stabbing leadership. As company currently goes through merger this is heightened. New company structure will be leaner and de-centralized, but no hope of change to company culture overall.

Place less emphasis on showing up and more emphasis on people doing good work. Make "being helpful" a priority over "beating the other person."

they were decent

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

The managers are nice and cool, they joke around with you and help you with stuff

Cons

they try to extend your hours a lot. they call you in on your days off and the schedules arent set and they are unorganized

Worked here for six years

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Safeway part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Protected by a union. Promotion opportunities

Cons

As with any job there is some favoritism

Management is Terrible

Current Employee - Safeway - Starbucks Barista in Pleasant Hill, CA
    Current Employee - Safeway - Starbucks Barista in Pleasant Hill, CA

I have been working at Safeway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun coworkers, Did the easiest thing in the store, Good Hours

Cons

Terrible upper management, Terrible Scheduling, Terrible Customers

Your employees are people.

Self-check clerk for 14 months.

Former Employee - Grocery Checker in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Grocery Checker in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Safeway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The one good thing about working for Safeway was the employee discount.

Cons

The scheduling was very difficult, sometimes you did know your schedule for the following week. You could not make plans for your time off as you found out on a Thursday if you were working on Sunday. Management was not supportive of the employees. Req.uested days off were rarely given. Difficult for employees with children

Treat employees with respect and make sure every store has a union steward. I was at a new store and in the 14 months I was employed, we never had a shop steward or consistent communication with the union.

Great place to learn.

Current Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are a lot of tools and trainings, your future is in your hands.

Cons

Pay is mediocre for the level of work.

Give lower level employees more power in decision-making. Simplify shoppers life's with more straightforward promotions. Stick to one strategy.

Great for a college student

Current Employee - Food Clerk in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Food Clerk in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Safeway part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work with your school schedule
    Very good health benefits
    Paid vacations
    Guaranteed hours
    Most customers are nice

Cons

Mean customers sometimes
    You can get thrown around in different departments a lot
    Hours can vary widely as well as days off

Analyst

Current Employee - Category Analyst in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Category Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people meant great friends work environment is not so stressful people tend to help if you have questions love the gym love the benefits and the pay is a little low

Cons

The cons it's a man's world upper management needs to learn a couple things of leadership favoritism seems to be the key it's not what you know it's more who you know people that are hard workers seem not to get noticed as much