Safeway

Updated Jul 26, 2014

2.8 1,027 reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards

Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days(in 42 reviews)

• Nice people, they promote from within, offer good benefits for mgmt(in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is below most retail mgmt, requires ALL of your time no work life balance(in 28 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models(in 46 reviews)

1,027 Employee Reviews

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGood company to work for, great benefits, room for growth. Employees get a 10% discount on corporate brand items, which are all very good.

ConsSometimes hard to move up, very often it's all in who you know or who likes you; some locations are worse than others. Right now they're going through a merger (2014) and not a lot is known as to the security of some positions. Depending on where you work, there can be very high expectations in exchange for "ok" pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should stop promoting people just because they're a favorite. They should start looking closer to the job other's do around them, and what their qualifications are.

Treated with no respect

Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) Santa Cruz, CA

ProsYou understand how bad it is to work in Grocery Stores and perhaps develop respect for the younger people who work there.

Cons-Low pay, especially because of forced union dues
    -Managers treat you like kids, and give you no respect. You also have to listen to clerks, and they act like your boss when they aren't really. Expect to be at their beck and call, and when you aren't there immediately, they accuse you of slacking off on the job.
    -The job itself often feels pointless, as you have to pick up carts and bring them to the front because people are to lazy to get cars while they are walking to the store.
    -Nasty work. You have to take out trash, sweep, clean up spills. All of this in a clean pressed suit without a jacket. It just feels wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect lower tier workers because they are often smarter than you, just a little lower on the totem pole.

Great Job, if you don't mind dealing with people

Grocery Checker (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsBeing a checker has it's advantages, you are face to face with customers all day long. So if that is what you like apply! There are openings all over. Ok that is all I have to say.

ConsCons, You have to deal with customers. Depending on what part of town you work in can change your opinion about the job. You may need to deal with scum, rich snobs or maybe you can get lucky and have wonderful customers all day. Haha.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees that can good ideas. Don't just sit there! Look at what is going on around you. Don't ignore us
    Help us help you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not what i was led to believe job was.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthe hours are consistant and great. Employees very friendly, willing to help..

ConsDo not give proper time for proper training. To much drama and gossping for my taste.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend the time and labor to train employees properly. Give them the knowledge to succeed. Given proper training you would have less turn around. It costs more to train a new employee than to retain them. Customers like to see familiar happy faces.

Human Resource

Human Resources (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsI work for a great team and manager that encourages collaboration and teamwork. I've also build some really great professional and personal relationships at work.

ConsCompany culture is conservative, but I have seen improvements in the work environment at the Corporate offices. Career opportunities are very limited, depending on the team/department you're in.

Not bad company

ProsGreat coworkers, work with customers

ConsHours, coworkers, working with customers

There is no need to prepare for interview

Checker (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsI have worked here for almost seven years and have noticed that managers here don't even have high school diplomas, but they are trained to act like they own the entire corporation, and act like robots, and they have no common sense. Employees are responsible for running two to three departments at a time and are forced to work under extreme stress; there is hardly anything on the shelves, and departments are kept dirty because management is forced to cut hours, and few are scheduled to work. Constant complains from customer, but management don't care. The only times things are perfect when the corporate calls and want a visit, then employees are borrowed from close by stores and every department is turned into as if the stored just opened. Only ten hours of break is given between shifts, hours can very from 16-40. It has fake union, whit $150 check, they take $56, and after taxes your are left with hardly $100 per week.

Run from this place!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosclose to home. stable paycheck every week.

ConsPay, very poor work life balance. Managers

Pleasant coworkers.

Cashier (Current Employee) Port Coquitlam, BC (Canada)

ProsPleasant staff with flexible shifts.

ConsEver changing work schedule if you are on call. Often have to work until closing (12:15 am) and then 2 days later be scheduled to open (6:45 am). Can easily wind up exhausted for very low pay.

Not a bad place

Cashier (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsThe floor managers were nice, environment was not too bad. Job was fairly easy.

ConsThe place i worked was understaffed and very busy and sometimes I was the only cashier working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!