Safeway

2.8 1,009 reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards

Robert Edwards

1,009 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days"
    in 39 reviews
  • "Good benefits, strong union, nearly impossible to get fired"
    in 38 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models"
    in 44 reviews
  • "On call, Shifting, Working on weekends periodically (but I was still able to maintain work-life balance)"
    in 20 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sometimes great, worse store manager

Stocker (Current Employee)
    Spokane, WA

Prosmedical and dental plans are great!

ConsGetting a raise is very difficult, unless you want to apply for a promotion or you're a favorite of the manager. Get written up for anything. You're always at fault , never get a thank you if you stay longer or come in when they call you. Not enough hours for helper clerks to get things done. Store manager always in the office or at Starbucks talking and laughing. Hates to check or smile or help customers because HE needs to finish HIS job. Has a habit of turning employees against each other and lies to us so we don't know who to trust!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a NEW store manager!!! Not someone who lets his friends use their cell phones and write up others or have their friends file empty even though they come in late! Give hard working employees a raise and not just the guys ( they work a few months get a raise and leave). The ladies that actually stay and work for years make the SAME as those walking in and starting!! Love that "thanks for staying and you're hard work". I tell friends to go to another Safeways to work.

Starter Job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMeet new people and gain knowledge

ConsThe pay was not worth the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to keep your employee's happy too.

Management

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Castro Valley, CA

ProsNice people, they promote from within, offer good benefits for mgmt. better benefits for union employees. Great training at store level.

ConsPay is below most retail mgmt, requires ALL of your time no work life balance. Vindictive upper mgmt hr and store mgmt. corp is worse - wages far below average. Work load is impossible to complete in time frame. Unprofessional, hostile and retaliatory to employees

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of your employees offer a better work life balance and better pay.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mixed, a few years back excellent environment, currently seems to be unstable.

Pharmacy Manager (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsSound off is to take care of patients, medical therapy management, superior customer service.

ConsStaffing and labor model don't quantify with what corporate wants to achieve

Advice to Senior ManagementReview Labor Model

Low pay, high stress.

Food Clerk (Current Employee)
    Fairfield, CA

Pros-Nice co-workers
    -Was able to get a lot of hours (even though I was listed as part time I was getting forty hours a week)
    -Union
    -Can get a lot of experience
    -Good first job

Cons-Poor training
    -Low pay and hard to get pay raises
    -Bad management
    -A lot of demoralized workers

Advice to Senior ManagementSchedule more help and treat your current workers better.

Great company to work for.

Vice President (Current Employee)
    Pleasanton, CA

ProsThe people are passionate about the business.

ConsHuge organization takes time to understand how to navigate thru.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the leadership. Good things to come.

Large Centralized Corporate structure

Maintenance Management (Current Employee)
    El Monte, CA

ProsGreat people, good place to learn and grow

ConsToo many Chiefs, not enough Indians

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline the chain of command

Top Fortune 500 Company

ProsThe people and the leadership team.

ConsNo cons - you create your own destiny

Stressful.

ProsFlexible work schedules. There are some great people that work for Safeway.

ConsLow pay and high demands. Lack of courage of upper management to admit there are not enough hours to get the job done properly. Lack of courage from the leadership to be honest and straight forward with employees. They tell employees there are no plans to close stores because of the merger. They told us not long ago Albertsons, even after they were bought out, had a bleak future to now they have made such a miraculous turn around because they picked up a wash cloth and cleaned their stores in 2006.

Advice to Senior ManagementCourage isn't just being able to beat people down but admit when you are wrong. Stop the wasteful spending on store visits and reinvest those dollars into labor at ground zero. This not the year to allow people to justify their existence by visiting stores because it has never been more obvious than what is happening now.

Overworked, Underpaid, with Daily Harassment

Bookkeeper (Current Employee)

ProsThe Union sets rules that keep corporate/management from outright abusing their employees. We also get health benefits. A lot of co-workers make great friends and become "part of your family," in a way.

ConsWe work way too hard for too little pay. Managers frequently give terrible schedules, either cutting everyone's hours or flipping people's daily hours around so they have to keep changing their sleep schedule multiple times a week. Technology is outdated and frequently breaks or glitches, causing stress for both employees and customers. Safeway keeps pushing the whole "world class service" but makes it difficult for employees to deliver when there aren't enough people scheduled and all the customers are yelling at us because they have to wait in line. If customers become verbally abusive, management often solves the problem by giving them free stuff (and occasionally berating the employees). We are often given conflicting orders and get chewed out by someone no matter what we do. Morale is low and people frequently call in sick or quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's well known that management gets a bonus at the end of the year if they cut enough employee hours. I get that they want the money (we all do), but this is causing considerable harm to both the employees and the business itself.

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!

Safeway Videos

Safeway – Why Work for Us?

Our employees are the foundation of our success – they are the heart of what we do. By developing a personalized career, fostering a healthy lifestyle, and participating in a culture of innovation, our employees impact… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Safeway reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Safeway CEO Robert Edwards. All 1,009 reviews posted anonymously by Safeway employees.