Safeway Reviews

2.7
1,114 Reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards
Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days (in 42 reviews)

• Nice people, they promote from within, offer good benefits for mgmt (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is below most retail mgmt, requires ALL of your time no work life balance (in 28 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Courtesy Clerk

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Safeway part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount, Union, 24 hour/week guaranteed, easy job

Cons

management, union, scheduling, lack of communication, customers suck, nepotism, favoritism, etc

Learn to motivate and set goals, make an appropriate schedule, set a better example

Working at Safeway backstage

Current Employee - Property Accounting/Lease Analysis  in  Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Property Accounting/Lease Analysis in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible with time (if exempt) for family emergencies and life/work balance. Stable environment in departments. Longevity is encouraged. Internal hiring is the norm along with promotions. Salary is comparative to market for backstage employees.

Cons

If the boss is a bully HR will do nothing about it unless you contact someone very high up in the company. Favoritism rules internal hiring and promotions. The office culture is separatist where managers cling to their positions while pushing subordinates away from their knowledge and expertise instead of embracing it.

I hope with the CEO continues his trend of making the environment warm and welcoming, as he started when he took over. Management could use an good I/O psychologist consultant to train them in how to positively influence people, instead of the normative transactional management approach.

Great Hr

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

HR department are Very prompt

Cons

no cons yet since I havn't started.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good work environment

Former Employee - Billing Specialist  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Safeway full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible schedule, diversity, great managers

Cons

Many long term employees. Hard to advance within the company.

Company believes in employee growth and development. Keeps you challenged and encouraged to grow.

I have been working at Safeway full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

1. good pay
    2. flexible schedule
    3. strong focus on employee growth
    4. clear path for promotions
    5. strong benefit program.
    6. rank and file teams are very friendly.

Cons

1. fast paced environment where the job requirements change frequently.. Must be able to work long hours and holidays. Needs better work life balance

improve work life balance for management. since the buy out, the work environment has changed to a culture of always needing more from everyone.

Not Great

I have been working at Safeway part-time for less than a year

Pros

The hours are very flexible, and at least at my store most of the team is great. They're very friendly and helpful, and it's a good place to get experience in numerous positions. So far I have worked in five departments, and I have been there for about five months. If you work in a non-union store, you can pick up hours in various departments. You can apply for any promotion that is open, even at other stores.

Cons

First of all, you will not receive benefits until you have either worked for the company for two years or move up to management. (As such, I can't speak to the quality of the benefits.) You get a 10% discount on SAFEWAY BRANDS only. I do not, as an employee, feel valued here. They have, from what I understand, a significant profit margin because they run the place on a skeleton crew. Everyone in my store is working the job of at LEAST two people. This might be different at a union store? There is no guarantee on hours, unless you are management. (Most of the departments don't get nearly enough hours to begin with.)

Invest in your employees. There's a high turnover rate because there is nothing significant to offer to new employees. Most of the people working for Safeway have been there for less than two years or more than ten (because they were grandfathered into better benefits). Hire more people!!!

I think of safeway as a dead end

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk  in  Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Safeway part-time for less than a year

Pros

Personal Growth, I am more outgoing. I had some of the highest customer service ratings at my store

Cons

The management was always negative, constantly talking about doing better better better, nothing was ever good enough, no accomplishment went uncritisized

Be nicer, cuss less, notice more accomplishments, be more hands on.

Management is everything

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Safeway part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked their for four years starting as a courtesy clerk, to becoming a cashier, to working in produce, and finally working in customer service. They have a lot of different jobs to transition into, so you won't get too bored.

Cons

I personally don't like to be micromanaged. The first two years working their I had a management team that trusted me, and I always got the job done, and then some. The final two years working their was with a team that was big on micromanaging. This made work unpleasant.

Ask people how they would like to be managed.

Good company.

I worked at Safeway part-time for more than a year

Pros

Supportive environment, good for scheduling.

Cons

Hard to move up unless you are older.

Fast paced - spinning MANY plates at the same time.

I have been working at Safeway

Pros

Never bored - always something to do - everyday is different from the previous day & never know what is coming your way

Cons

Hard to plan your day accordingly - labor is very tight

Need more hours

Worked for Safeway? Contribute to the Community!