Safeway

2.8
1,216 Reviews

Safeway CEO Robert Edwards
Robert Edwards

Pros
  • Safeway is one of the very few companies that gives you work / life balance which is rare these days (in 47 reviews)

• Good benefits, strong union, nearly impossible to get fired (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is really off considering your schedule changes drastically every week (in 38 reviews)

• Upper management was unrealistic at times in their expectations given labor models (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

Over demanding job

Former Employee - File Maintenance Manager
    Former Employee - File Maintenance Manager

I worked at Safeway full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Run dept. Write own schedule guaranteed 49 hrs

Cons

Demanding,not enough help,very long days some times 16 hrs , too much baby sitting other dept whom make more than you .

They all need to know how to do the entire job

Liked working for Safeway

I worked at Safeway

Pros

Stores are nice, love co-workers and management

Cons

New insurance coverage under new contract sucks

None

Great place to work with changes forthcoming

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Safeway has being known for being a great place to work. They offer career growth, networking and volunteering opportunities. The people are friendly and you can easily get acclimmated to the culture of feeling connected. I like how they organize various health and career development presentations and speakers. Including on to how prevent certain illnesses, care for yourself or a loved one. My personal experience has been that there's a good sense of life and work balance.

Cons

Currently, Safeway is in the process of being acquired. There wil be changes but alot of it is still unknown. Such as the company structure, which positions will change or be eliminated and what the culture will be like. We should have more information by end of 4th quarter.

Good company, great people

I have been working at Safeway full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Safeway is a great company to work for. The people are smart and friendly. The company offers many training and leadership programs. Company cares about it's employers and offers many benefits including a health club on-site and a great café to dine in.

Cons

The organization is very matrixed and one must be resourceful to know how to navigate through. Also, can be process oriented and at times, things take longer than they should. .

Its a job, not something I'd want to make a career out of.

Current Employee - Booth Clerk in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Booth Clerk in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Safeway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

So far my Store Manager has been extremely flexible when it comes to scheduling around school. He also is understanding of my 4 days off every december.
    My store is known as one of the more friendlier stores. Not just between employees but also with our customers.

Cons

* It feels like you're being worked to the bone.
    * Inconsistent hours if you're not in a smaller department or if you're just starting out.
    * Benefits are ok, but at the same time barely cover anything.

Act like you actually want to make your store a good place. In all the managers I've had they've either been too lacking in authority or overbearing with a tyrants mindset.

Safeway is the safe way to make an honest wage

Former Employee - Food Clerk in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Food Clerk in Washington, DC

I worked at Safeway part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Although many of my peers could not believe that I would work for a grocery store, I found the experience to be liberating on many levels.

Cons

Some of my coworkers were unscrupulous thieves, but that's to be expected in this sort of economic environment.

Keep up the good work.

Great people, great work environment

I worked at Safeway full-time

Pros

Everyone is very kind and professional. Very easy to get along with and very willing to help. This place is a bit old school so if you're looking for the start-up'y vibe, it is better to look elsewhere

Cons

A bit quiet at times due to the old school mentality. The company is also very risk adverse due to the nature and culture of the company.

Hard, but a great company.

Current Employee - Grocery Checker in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Grocery Checker in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Safeway part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Solid management tiers, providing great resources.
    Union backed, providing job security, a safety net, and a fantastic alternative source of communication and answers.
    Union also provides an alternative which can work with HR in order to resolve most issues quickly and efficiently.
    Solid pay scales, though they have been lengthened by recent contracts, it allows to climb up to better wages.
    An endless source of understanding to grow ones patience.

Cons

Customers have a habit of being rough, and can treat employees very harshly for little to no reason.
    Management can be over-stressed and over-worked, and create a hostile work place.
    The positive aspects of the store are almost entirely based upon the communication and attitude of the management.
    Shoplifting and theft at many stores is a constant, and can be... disheartening.
    Pay raises do exist, but they can take a long time to get through unless you get promoted to a P.I.C, where the upgrade to journeyman is immediate.
    Schedules are all over the place, it can be very difficult to have any idea what you will work from one week to the next.
    It is very often that when you call in sick, even if it is legitimate, due to other people who lie about it, that you may be interrogated regarding whether or not you are actually sick.

Do not push away employees who try to communicate, they are a great resource.
    Try not to micromanage too heavy-handedly.

Great Company, don't know what it'll bring in the next year or so

Current Employee - Merchandising Analyst in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandising Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Safeway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good benefits, good people and if you are in a good team, you will learn a lot of new skills, great company culture. Great Cafe (HQ) and food for lunch.

Cons

Some leadership shouldn't be were they are now.

Good but worth it?

Current Employee - Grocery Checker in Lynden, WA
    Current Employee - Grocery Checker in Lynden, WA

I have been working at Safeway part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The top pay for journeyman can range from $14-19 an hour, depending the the department, and the benefit package is second to none for medical. Friendly work environment, managers are easy to get along with, and has a wide variety of customer interactions.

Cons

There is little to no opportunity for advancement, prior to making journeyman (which frequently takes 5+ years) wages are close to minimum, the company is generally "penny wise and pound foolish" when it comes the tools employees have to work with, schedules have little stability for most positions (times of day work and number of hours worked in a week vary widely). They nearly always under schedule most departments, which causes stress for both employees and customers.

Your people skills are good, but better training and investment in the small things would make a big difference.